Marine Helicopter Crash - 1st US/UK casualties of war

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Rower_CPU, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: Marine Helicopter Crash - 1st US/UK casualties of war

It appears that all helicopters suck.

There is no such thing as safty in war, but I hope I don't hear about such an amount like 15+ dead in one incident. :(

This is why i don't like war.

3. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I saw that...

Very sad. I am a member of the reserve and currently as we are not active, we still are playing a role, of course I will never go into any detail about my part-time military life on the internet only my civilan life.

I am tired of all the left vs. right about this issue and it was nice to see a 99 vote pass for a resolution in the US Senate to support our president and troops. The only senator that did not vote was Miller from GA and he could not be there because of a family emergency. I am a Democrat, born and raised and at times like this I don't go with my parties position. Sometimes it does make me mad that some radicals have gotten into the party of the "working man" and have tried to run every wacco agenda through it. I would be a Republican, but it goes against many social beliefs I hold and I don't make enough money to think the way they do.

I spent much of the day watching the news and I was just amazed at the US technology, 90% guided precision missiles, precision artillery, and young well trained troops. In a way I feel sorry for the poor bastards that are sticking with Saddam and his "horse and buggy" approach at fighting war, but I guess...HAHA the joke is on them! If they are smart they would quickly see what we are capable of and give-up. I want to see this end quickly for the safety of our men and women. I lead a platoon of young men and they mean a lot to me so I can imagine what the leaders and family must be feeling right now with the first lose of troops. War costs we all know that and accidents are going to happen.

I am always surprised that so many people (seeing the riots in San Fran today) are so vocal about this and demand to be heard, but are the same people that would not pick up a rifle to fight when our freedoms are in jeopardy. It is ironic. I serve first because I want to make a difference and have a positive effect on others, second so that I have the right to have my views and vote how I like and last for some money to help with being an underpaid teacher. I guess I am just a servant to everyone else, but I don't mind.

4. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: I saw that...

I don't want to sidetrack the thread here, since I posted this in the "Current Events" forum to avoid a political discussion...

But, one of the things that makes our country great is that everyone, regardless of whether they serve in the military or not, has the right to their views and vote how they like. :)

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: Marine Helicopter Crash - 1st US/UK casualties of war

Very sad but this sort of thing happens all the time - its just unfortunate, no matter when it happens, regardless whether we're at war or not. With the amount of troups, equipment and number of flights, you're basically dealing with a matter of when, not if.

With the recent sand storm, it does make you wonder how many other vehicles will be affected, though.

And we've been extremely lucky so far that at the bigging of a major offensive that the only casualties have been from something like this and not from actual combat.

When we actually get to do some close in fighting, the numbers will be far worse. I just hope the continued push goes as smoothly as it has so far. Get this thing over and done fast.

D

6. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Re: Re: I saw that...

Your right this is not a place for a political discussion, but your reply seemed to sound like you think freedom is free. The people who do not serve in the military have the right to their views and vote only because of the people in the military. I am not saying everyone should serve or everyone is able to or even interested in that type of service, but they need to realize it is the men and women in uniform that allow you to have these freedoms.

That is all from me on this I know this was not suppose to be a political thread but more of a memorial thread so I will let it stand at that.

7. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

8. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Definitely a tragedy. If there were to be coalition casualties, this is the worst way for it to happen.

Has anyone but me noticed the alarming amount of military/x-military helecopter crashes lately? I can think of at least 4 blackhawks (3 US, one Columbian) that have crashed in the last year, a Canadian Sea King, and obviously this one.

I wouldn't be surprised if there will be/alread is a competition between lockheed and boeing for the next work horse helecopter.

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

My sister has just heard that her husband Alan who is a sergeant with 3 Commando was not on the helicopter that crashed, we were told that some 3 commando boys were lost but not form which outfit.

It's been a tense few hours here.