Marines Make Mandatory Callup of IRR

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Aug 22, 2006.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Link'd
    Good thing this war is going according to plan...

2. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

This is the second time they have done this, it is 4.23% of the pool of IRR candidates. it is too fill critical billets that they are short handed on, like intell, communications, MP's, as well as combat boots. I have been IRR atleast twice, and returned voluntarily both times.
    I am proud of our marines, they are doing great work, and some have volunteered for their 4th tours in arduous conditions.
    Like they say, once a Marine, always a Marine.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

In my day, it was about junkies...

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I thought we were told of record numbers signing up... hahahaha yeah I don't blame anyone. I wouldn't want to fight in Iraq. I wouldn't want to serve under President Bush.

5. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I have the utmost respect for your courage and the fact that you have proudly served your country.

and having said that, I feel terrible for the kids who are being sent over there to fight and die for this "thing." I just have to put up with outrageous government spending and the bumbling and bungling of the current administration, but for the rest of their lives the soldiers have to live with the spectre of hatred and death that they've seen during their tour. Are the scars they're going to carry really worth whatever it is we're going to gain from this "adventure?"

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Just the other day my girlfriend and I were talking about this. Why would anyone willingly sign up for the military under a man who called himself a "war president"? I don't get it.

7. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I think war sounds exciting to many young men, sad as it may seem.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Naval and maybe Air Force. But not Army, or Marines. And record lows for National Guard/Reserve. The people I know in the service don't want to re-up. My Cousin was out of the Marines ASAP and dreaded going back. My best friend can't wait to get out of the AF as soon as he can, having just gotten back from Iraq a few months ago. Can't say I blame them. If all of the people for the war actually fought in it, we might not have this problem.

Same might have been said of Vietnam.

9. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I was in from 85-94 active duty, couldn't wait to get out either. Many are hating having to go to the gulf. I was there once, hated it. And I believe the Marines are making their recruitment goals, last I heard, there is a critical shortage of many specialties but also including combat infantry.
    What bothers me the most of being called up is not going to the gulf, heck its the time away from family, career on hold. But the only thing that would bother me more is letting AQ, and others feel like they are making me running away.
    There are members here who have been in the last few years, they have earned their right to say what they want to about the state of affairs.
    I have not been called up, yet, but have prepared to be. My unit was warned of recall in July to HOA, but we are now scheduled to go much later. Each of us has been told to prepare for an individual recall should the need arise.
    I want us out of the gulf as much as anyone, but not now and not under these conditions.
    Gotta go to work, have a nice day.:)

10. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

WTF? You better not actually mean what I think this says...

11. aquajet macrumors 68020

My brow is raised and I'm eyeing my ignore button.

12. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

Just out of curiosity, what do you think he means?

13. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

That only those who served can criticize. I know Stu's grammer skills are not the best, so I'm trying to see if he meant something other than what that statement strongly implies, and not jumping to any conclusions.

14. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

ah ok...I hadn't thought of it that way.

15. aquajet macrumors 68020

How did you interpret the statement?

16. Queso macrumors G4

I don't think he meant that. I think he's saying that those who have served have earned the right to voice their opinions on whether to volunteer to go back and serve under Bush or not, but he's put it very badly.

However, I did notice the link about Iraq and AQ creeping in there again. Of course, it's been true since the Axis powers sent the troops in and removed Saddam... :rolleyes:

17. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I didn't give any thought to the particular passage that mactastic pulled out. It struck me as kind of a non-sequitur so I just ignored it. Granted, I wasn't reading stubeeef's post very carefully, either. Just skimmed it...

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't think it does. For all of our disagreements, I still don't get the impression that he's as bad as some here have been. I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, as I don't want to misconstrue this as I did his last statement. The whole terrorist/Iraq thing is bugging me too though.

Again:

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/08/23/the-obvious-disconnect-between-iraq-and-the-war-on-terror/

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/08/22/paul-hackett-on-hardball-2/

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060823/pl_nm/iraq_bush_poll_dc

19. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Good lord,
    Ambercrobieboy for one (sorry didn't look up correct spelling). There are plenty of people who have first hand, on the ground experience in theater, then there are those, me included, that make comments based on the news. I figure the ones that have actually been there, not watched people on TV, have more weight, and have earned their right to say their piece, pro or CON.
    That is what I mean.
    I may not have been an english major, my spelling is awful, but I do remember a post you reply to of mine long time ago where you miss spelled a word while correcting my spelling. Sorry to every grammer expert here about my spelling and sentence construction. It can be awful.

20. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Iraq and Terror.
    Regardless of how it was before the war, they are there now. Wasn't it a Brit General that recently spoke of the crap Iran was pulling there? Trying to disrupt things and feed a civil war?
    There are tenuous links between Iraq and AQ before the war, nothing really proveable or substancial for sure. The good news is it is all of it is OVER THERE for now.
    That is my point.

21. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

So you are saying that we don't have the right to make comments because we aren't in the military?

22. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Read it again
    No, but I am saying that contractors, and other civilians as well as military members, republican or democrat, liberal or conservative, pro or con, that have an opinion that is not for pay (pundit, news) have and should be given (I do) more weight than couch potato news feed thread posters (like me and others).

23. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Sorry I was reading the earned their right which i was taking to mean that I or almost anyone else on this site don't have the right to say their piece.

However if i am mistaken in your wording, I apologize

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Why is a person over there as a member of the US military, with all the baggage that entails, going to necessarily have a more weighty or relevant view? We've had just as much patent rubbish spouted by people who've been over there as by those who haven't.

25. aquajet macrumors 68020

I used to work in a Chinese restaurant, but that certainly doesn't mean I can sit here and discuss the delicate balance between ingredients that make a scrumptious sesame chicken dinner.