Marines resort to press-ganging

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003

Marines resort to kidnapping to boost enlistment goals.

There's more. Axel's father was a Marine Corps vet who died when Axel was four.

Also, call blocking can not be used with government phone numbers, therefore, there is no way to prevent them from calling you as often or whenever they want.

Can there be any doubt that the draft is all but a certainty unless we start pulling out of Iraq?
  2. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Yikes! That's unbelievably outrageous. I'd be suing if I was that kid.
  3. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    These tactics are likely to result in fewer recruits rather than increased enrollment. Parents will be afraid to let their kids talk to the recruiters, and apparently for good reasons.

Luckily, neither my kids nor I am targets for the corps (I'm too old, my kids way too young), but if that weren't the case, I'd be more concerned about a draft than I already am.
  4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Cripes. Sounds like the Sopranos in khaki. The least they could have done for the kid was get him a few hours with a high-priced hooker.
  5. mischief macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2001
    Santa Cruz Ca
    Yup, he would have signed up right there, hands still shaking.

But that one smacks a little too much of "Paradise and a Thousand Virgins".
  6. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    this seems too outrageous to be true. so i guess something still can surprise me these days.

if the use of these tactics are widespread, i have to assume the USMC is seeing some success. i wonder how many kids were "recruited" this way.
  7. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    It does seem so, but remembering back to when I was in high school, I can see it coming this far.

My dad was in the service for 6 years after he graduated from high school, so at the time I thought I at least "owed" it to him to speak to the local recruiter when they called me. I went down to the office and spoke to the guy, who seemed moderately interested in what he was doing. He proceeded to give me some standard color-blindness tests, etc., and then gave me a test to complete - one of those "fill in the ovals" tests with about 20 or 30 questions, as I recall. He brought me to a work area and told me to work on it and that it would take me about an hour to complete.

Now I don't know who they're recruiting on average, but I completed this mostly simple math test in about 10 minutes. Upon returning, he asked me if I had questions. I told I was done. I could tell he felt I had just gone through and filled in the circles, but he "graded" it and I got them all right. He perked up at that point for sure.

Now I didn't tell you this story to brag (I think anyone capable of participating on this forum without drooling on themselves could have done as well on that "test") - I told you because after that, I couldn't get the guy to stop calling my house for the rest of the summer. Every other day at least. And we weren't in a war, or in dire recruitment straits, etc. Finally after several calls from my parents, they finally let up. But if they were that bulldoggish before, I can only imagine how they are now.
  8. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    I kinda doubt THESE tactics are widespread. Too much bad press.
  9. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    haha reminds me of the test which i had go through .. i stil lrember the formular for the medical record "any high blood pressurecases in the family" -check, "cases of diabetes I" - check , "heart infarcts" - check ... i thought i'm gonna die soon sitting there filling it out ;)

scored "body and health" 5 or 6 out of 9 (no parachuting,piloting or high mountain infantry for me ;) ) but the psycological & mental was like 9 out of 9 at the upper limit .. i think the only one who failed that day in that department was the guy who was mentally handicapped

god i remember me and my school sitting in there laughing so hard at the "find the correct synonym out of the following 4 choices" questions that we got the obvious "DO YOU THINK THIS IS FUNNY" yelled at us..
  10. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    When I was a senior in college, prior to grad school, I was recruited by the Navy (to be an officer). I took a few tests and got to fly to San Diego for a cool few days - looked in subs, went on ships, etc.

When I got back, I decided that the Navy wasn't for me. Actually, I'd decided this prior to talking to the Navy, but the free San Diego trip was too good to pass up, so I did the tests, etc., for the literal free ride.

After I got back, it was hell on earth getting them to stop calling me. They called me at school. They called me at home. They - and this is insane - sent some people from their Houston office to try and find me when on spring break down in the area. Seriously.

They set up a trip to DC to talk to the big brass. They sent me the tickets. They had a very hard time taking "no" for an answer. Apparently, the fact that I took the San Diego trip made them think I'd agreed beforehand to devote my career to them.

My belief: anyone that tries too hard to get you to work for them is covering something up.
  11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    I can see them starting to pay off some cities, counties, and states to start sending them some of the convicts making it before the judges.

Break in and steal something, go to Iraq.

If you are a gang member, go to Iraq.

Here is your get out of jail free card, problem is it only works in Iraq. :(
  12. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2004
    I doubt that. I thought "bad press" was banned nowadays.