MarioKart DS hacked?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ja Di ksw, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Have people found a way to hack MarioKart DS? I hope not, it really bothers me how online games are plagued by hackers now.

What makes me think this is occasionally when I play another persons kart will act worse than if it was just lagging. Every time they run into a wall they immediately disappear and reappear a good distance ahead of where they are (about as far as you can see on the top screen, slightly less). They also "blink" in and out like this as soon as I get ahead of them. Yet . . . at no other time does this happen. Only when they hit a wall or I pass them. If it was simple lag, you'd think it would happen at other times.

I also went against someone who seemed way faster than he was suppose to be. I've played against people with his character/kart before, and he was noticeably faster. I was on a straight run, they had no items and did not use my wake. They litterally went from one wall to another, HITTING the walls, back and forth zigzagging the whole time, yet he got so far ahead on a single straight that I couldn't see him anymore, when he started behind me.

I hope this isn't hacking, and I hope hacking isn't commonplace. Since Nintendo makes a set between your card/DS, if it is you would hope they could find a way to kick those people off.

2. deadlygopher macrumors member

deadlygopher

you may have been lagging while they were snaking. it looks really wierd on a slow connection when other people are snaking because when the connection drops out, the kart keeps going which is why it looks like they are smacking into walls.

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

The first one sounds like lag. I've definitely experienced it before, even shooting a red turtle shell and having it disappear - but reappear like 5 seconds later and take out someone whose just passed me.

The second one isn't hacking but a dirty form of racing called "snaking." Basically all they're doing is performing power slides on straightaways and getting the powerboost from doing it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4422514278785769760&q=%22Mario+Kart+DS+Snaking+School%22+playable%3Atrue

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's a case of extreme lag.

Here's how it works.

You're racing your opponent.

You lose the opponent's signal.

The DS thinks, "Well, I'm not getting any signal of him turning or anything, so I'll just draw him going in a straight line."

You see your opponent drive in a straight line right into a wall or off a cliff.

A second later your DS gets the signal back and the other DS says, "No, I'm up here." and you see the opponent magically warp back in front of you.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I only snake if the competition are doing it. Doing it against n00bs and kids is just plain evil. besides if your miles ahead and somebody launches a blue shell you can't take anyone else out with it!

yea, its not a hack problem. though I worry that it will be hacked. theres a GBA cart out there that acts as a trainer for Nintendogs. won't be long till theres a Mario Kart version I reckon. :(

6. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Hmmm, glad to see it's not hacking, that makes me feel a lot better. Guess I'll play more regional than worldwide games, and not be too far away from my airport, that should hopfully cut down on the lag.

Yeah, that snaking stuff is insane. Some people get too into games for me. Even now that I know about it, I'll never bother trying it. I guess if you're in a competition and they're doing it, well, no fun for you if they're doing it and you're not.

7. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Ive tried snaking but I always get off the track:(
    Just outta curiosity, how do you snake properly?

8. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Anyone?

9. jdechko macrumors 68040

I don't know because I've never done it, but the video link that 7on posted shows/tells you how to do it.

10. deadlygopher macrumors member

deadlygopher

practice on figure 8. on the 1st straight area, slide left, then right, then left, then right around the curve