MarioKart DS Hype

Discussion in 'Games' started by Patmian212, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Hey all,
    My first DS game was mariokart. I was addicted to it for 3 days, couldnt stop playing. However I have noticed it has gotten very repetitive and not very immersive, once youve played enough you know every track and there arent many unlockables. Also it would have been awesome to be able to play the battle matches on Nintendo WFC. Also online racing is very cool but it isnt perfect, it is full of snakers, and it would be awesome not to have friend numbers but accounts cuz I sure as hell cant remember which friend of mine has which number! Anyway I think its a good game but I dont think it lives up to the hype, anyone else agree?

2. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Hehehe I know it came out a while ago and this pseudo rant would have been more appropriate a few months back, I'm just still curious how this game is one of the most critically acclaimed for the DS.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I don't think it is overhyped. I really loved it at first but like yourself went off it for a while. However now with 16 games in my library, MKDS gets the most use out of any of them. It's the staple that goes everwhere with me and gets played when I need a break from whatever game I'm currently trying to beat. For me it's got a proven lasting appeal, just like all MK games.

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I definitely wouldn't be suprised if we get an announcement of one soon.

6. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Ah, I can imagine it now. Hyrule Castle with Kirby represented by 4 pinkish pixels and Mario as 6 red pixels. Sounds fun. :)

7. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I know what you mean by Mario Kart DS being a little repetitive, but I still love that game! It's the only game I own for my DS Lite (other than New Super Mario Bros., which I bought for my girlfriend and haven't opened).

I really like the online play, and I find that no matter how many times I play a particular level, I always find a way to shave a few more seconds off my lap time. And man do I love drifting! Have you played the mission modes and beat them? Some of them are pretty challenging.

I'm in the market for Advance Wars: Dual Strike. Check that one out if you like strategy games.

8. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

The only thing about Mario Kart DS that I really don't like is how imbalanced the characters and powerups are.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I dunno about the WiFi thing. I play most games locally so the whole 'battle mode' doesn't bother me.

On a completely different note - Mario Kart DS is the only game I can play whilst travelling and not get motion sick. no other GBA, DS or PSP racer can do that :confused:

10. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

I agree about the friend codes. Either your suggestion would work, or maybe Nintendo could add a sort of "Address Book" feature, similar to that of a cell phone, onto the DS. If Apple and Nintendo were to combine, it could even sync with Address Book for OS X. ;) Haha...one can dream, right?