MarioKart DS

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ja Di ksw, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Does anyone have it yet? I was wondering about the multiplayer. On one of the websites, it sounds like if you play with human players, you can't play with computers. It's either only computers, or only humans. Is that true? I think that would be a horrible way to have it set up. I always had fun doing Grand Prix with a friend.

(PS - the poker game for the DS is like this, completely ruined a good birthday gift)

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Hey Ja Di ksw,
    I'm going to pick it up when it comes out here in Aus on the 17th. It sounds wicked so far but i haven't seen any info regarding your question. Even if it was true i don't see it being much of a deal-breaker.
    Have you checked out the reviews on places such as IGN? They're very comprehensive. If you're up for a game in a couple of days I'll certainly be interested in taking you on!

3. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

2 more weeks I'll take on all comers. Getting my DS repaired an 2 for the kids early xmas present before I get the Cube G4!

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The only way Battle Mode could be on WiFi is if it was VoIP enabled. I am certain we'll be seeing that in the coming year.

I want this game. I've been reading the reviews. everyone loves it :(

5. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Hmmm, the more I read about MarioKart, the worse it sounds. I will probably still get it (I'll check out a friends copy first to be sure), but it sounds like a few tweaks could have made the game a ton better. I'm betting they won't come out with a second one for a long time, either. How disappointing, this is one of the games I had been waiting for.

6. cubist macrumors 68020

That's odd. In UT and in earlier games (Starcraft, Empire Earth, etc.) I and my pals like to play humans-vs-bots. It may be lopsided but it's tension-relieving.

The limitations shown in SilentPanda's link are pretty significant, too.

7. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

exactly, I want to do a race with my friends against the computers (even if it's not through WiFi, but just in the same room). This is one of the main ways I like to play against a couple of my friends, as they don't like battle mode, and going 1v1 isn't as much fun. I keep expecting Nintendo to do great things, and they keep coming so close but leaving out one or two things that would have made it so much better.

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Are you kidding? The more I hear, the better. IGN gave it a 9.5, the only thing that kept it from getting a 10.0 is some minor online limitations (no Battle mode or chat, and it's a little bit difficult to set up a match with friends, the way it is implemented). The game has incredible single player stuff (boss fights even, 32 tracks, tons of characters, missions, etc), great multiplayer, and decent online play.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The impression I got from IGN was that you can fill out the human slots with bots in Battle Mode at least. But the paragraph on multiplayer is a little short.

10. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Hmmm, if that is true it will definitely take it up a notch for me. I'll have to look at a copy. Though I still wish you could do that in grand prix.

Don't get me wrong, I think it will be a great game and I'm definitely going to get it, I just wish they hadn't hampered the online play.

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I have it preordered, so I'll pick it up today. I'll try it on WiFi today, and either today or tomorrow I'll stop by to see one of my DS-owning friends and try out the multiplayer and report on whether bots can be added in WiFi and LAN play.

12. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

My mom just picked the game up from the store today because I'm stuck in school...I'll be leaving school in like a half hour so then I'll get to play it. Don't expect me to reply back here any time soon though, my DS's battery will die before I stop playing.

I can't wait! :D

13. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

I'm waiting for them to release a revised version of the DS before I bite on this one. This was rumored by Reggie a couple days ago...

Game looks freaking awesome though, and all the reviews have been glowing :)

Might have to drop the dough :eek:

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have it. I just need to figure out how to get it to work via Internet Connection Sharing.

16. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Anybody wanna play online?

This game is so awesome! You need friend codes to play online mine is:

If you want to play just tell my on iChat, I'm the player with the Mac OS smile on the front of the car hahaha. :D This is so much fun! Online play anybody? Post your friend codes here :)

17. ferrisb macrumors member

Has anybody been able to connect using their Mac? I don't have an AirPort Base station, but my PowerMac has an Airport Card. I can get my DS to find my Mac, just not connect to the WiFi servers.

I just turned on internet sharing with my AirPort, but my DS is also having issues finding an IP address. Any ideas or suggestions?

18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I get the same problem. My DS can see the network my iMac makes. I can't get an IP though. I think it's since I'm on a static IP address. My iMac is trying to give a xxx.xxx.xxx.001 IP out and that's taken by another machine.

19. cubist macrumors 68020

LOL! The other day I was playing Meteos and the machine went dead - first time that ever happened! :eek: Then I was like going thru withdrawal! Meteos is the most addictive game I've ever played! Argh! If they ever make a revised version of the DS, they should make the battery swappable!

20. mechamac macrumors regular

Looks like their wifi service is "experiencing intermittent problems", which hopefully explains why my DS sees my netgear router but can't talk to the outside world beyond it. On to single player mode for now!

21. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Yeah I think the release of Mario Kart caused this, Nintendo didn't know what was going to happen hahaha. New Online Mario Kart = Servers crashing

Here's the Nintendo Wi-Fi Status page, it'll show you when it's working or not.

http://nintendowifi.com/troubleshooting/SystemStatus.jsp

I hope they fix this soon or it'll be their downfall :( and I'll be unhappy! ;)

22. mechamac macrumors regular

Yeah, launch day blues. I'm sure we'll be online in no time. I'll add another friend code to the list when that happens.

23. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Just wait. By the time Meteos has had its fun with you and moved on, you'll be a quivering mess.

All levels cleared, all unlockables unlocked.

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Uh, the online network was never down, those intermittent errors just made it take an obscenely long time to find opponents and I couldn't register my DS with nintendowifi.com.

Nope. I had a friend with the same problem. The Netgear router is one of those that doesn't work properly with Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. You have to enter the settings manually, according to Nintendo.

We worked on it for a while and it finally worked with these settings on the DS:

IP address: 192.168.0.8 (the last number can be anything between 2 and 254, just make sure its not the same as another computer on the network)

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (or your router's network IP if its different, netgear defaults to that)

Primary DNS: 4.2.2.1
    Secondary DNS: 4.2.2.2

Try that and see if it works.