Market like AMD?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by trose, Mar 9, 2003.

1. trose macrumors regular

In my PC ignorance, I didnt realize AMD rated their CPU's higher than the Mhz rating until last week when I was purchasing some PC components for work.

For instance...I purchased an AthlonXP 2100+ that was really something along the lines of 1.7ghz I beleive. They rate them higher because their CPU's are more efficient than Intels and they know damn well Intel will make a crappy CPU as long as it clocks high to use the Mhz Myth.

Well..we all know clock for clock a G4 trounces a P4, so why doesnt Apple do something similiar? Maybe go 70% higher. I.E.- A 1ghz G4 could be a called a G4 1700. Thats just a rough example, but it would look good to the average consumer. Even alot of the die hard custom PC builders use AMD chips and they dont care that AMD rates their chips higher, because they know they deserve it.

This could even work for when/if the 970 is released. Imagine a 2.5ghz 970...already thats an impressive number..but since it will knock the socks off Intel, they could rate it higher and make it something along the lines of PPC 4000.

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Because it's silly

How can you "combat" the Megahertz myth if you fall victim to it yourself.

AMD validated everything the Pentium 4 aimed to achieve by doing this stupid thing. If you market your chips to state that higher numbers = superiority then you have all but supported the myth that megahertz is the main criteria for consumers. Perhaps it is but Apple is not dumb enough to actually engage in that.

AMD has but one life left. If the Athlon64 and Opteron processors don't stop Intel then they're basically finished.

IBM doesn't expect them to survive 5 years. I think I might agree with them.

Apple is somewhat isolated by this because they don't have any competition for Macs. PC vs Mac benchmarks will show the consumer everything they need to know.

3. trose thread starter macrumors regular

Ok,well there needs to be SOMETHING to market. When a consumer looks at a computer he looks at its Mhz rating to determine its overall speed, thats how it always has been. If Apple wants to dispel the Mhz Myth than they need something else "speedwise" to market. Maybe Gigaflops? I dont know..but something, remember, we are the die hard dorks who post on forums and such..the average consumer doesnt know jack about computers,unfortunately this is the kind of person that dominates purchases.

4. PC Clone macrumors member

Macs will actually have to be able to outperform PCs before they can claim that they outperform them...