Market Place

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Markleshark, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

It maybe a good idea to have something to be able to validate users for selling in the market place. Although 100 posts seems quite a good way to validate regular sellers I myself do not get a lot of time to post and mainly read through threads quite quickly so it is taking a while to build up 100posts and my item I wish to sell is still sitting.

Just something to maybe think about. Cheers.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

how would one become validated? how would this offer anything better than the current set up?

i don't think there are any issues with the way things are right now.

3. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

No, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the current system, just takes a while if you don't post much. But I guess its just my personal situation.

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

the 100 post is ok but i think the market place still gives headaches to the mods.

maybe upping the min post to 500 post would be better ? or even better just demi's ?

but that's just my view

5. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

how do you know how many posts someone has made?

is this a mod-only viewing feature?

6. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

click there name and view profile

7. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Please don't take this as a flame... but the intention of the Marketplace is to allow community members an outlet to sell to other community members. Why? So that a certain level of familiarity/trust goes into each transaction... and part of that comes from the interaction of these community members with each other through posts, discussions, arguments, and time.

Personally, I think the 100 post minimum to post to the Marketplace is not enough... in the sense that 100 posts should be the minumum required to not only post, but to view the Marketplace as well. That would, in my opinion, better approximate the underlying intention of the Marketplace as a network to buy/sell/trade between familiarized community members.

That would, admittedly, cut down on the audience to which sellers in the Marketplace could advertise to... all the new users and sub-100 post members couldn't see what I'm selling. But at the same time, I would also know that the people who are able to see my items for sale and respond in the thread I made or PM with offers... they'll have been here for either a certain period of time or contributed in such a way that maybe I'll have seen them around and gotten to know them a bit before sending along a $500 item through UPS/FedEx/etc.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

A clarification may be needed:

You need 100 posts to start a thread in the Marketplace. This is for the good of the community, to filter out (in an approximate way) threads by relatively unknown members.

You do not need 100 posts to reply to a thread in the Marketplace, because a buyer or seller who starts a thread is perfectly welcome to buy from or sell to a new member (a "newbie" or "member") who replies. The choice is up to the member whose thread it is.

In particular, members with less than 100 posts are allowed to offer items for sale if they are replying to a "want to buy" thread. We sometimes receive Bad Post Reports from other members in such cases, but these posts are in fact fine under the rules.

Note that if a new member posts about an item they have for sale in reply to a "For Sale" thread, that constitutes thread hijacking, because it is not a reply to the original poster. Those posts should be reported and will be removed.

If you aren't sure about a post, you can always send us a report and the moderators will check it against the rules. But I hope this clarifies the rules about new members selling (or buying) in the Marketplace.