market share

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by rekras, Feb 10, 2002.

1. rekras macrumors regular

With all the posts, stories, and articals I keep reading about wintel and unix users switching over, the incredible sucess of the new iMac, ibook, ipod, and tibook, and Apple opening 25 new retail stores around the nation market share has got to be above 5% by now. I'm not sure when the census was recorded but it must of been awhile ago because presently 5% just does not sound correct. I wouldn't be surprised when an updated market share analysis is conducted if Apple had 10% by now. Does anyone have any information or input on this, lemme know.

2. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

I don't think you grasp the numbers we're dealing with. To double market share, Apple would have to sell MILLIONS of computers... many millions. No, I don't think Apple has sold anywhere NEAR enough computers to move their marketshare 5%. This is a long term goal.. not something that will change quickly... it will take years for Apple to reach 10%.. so keep buying 'em!

3. rekras thread starter macrumors regular

Yea but I mean they've been stuck at 5% forever, and in this golden mac age don't you at least think we've gotten to 6%?

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

IndyGopher is right...

Apple would basically have to completely double what they are doing to get to 10% of market share. I wouldn't doubt if they have gone a few tenths of a percentage past 5, but I think 10 is still a farshot.

5. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Apple had a bad year

Let's face it, folks. While nobody was selling a lot of machines last year (and in the 6 months preceding that), Apple probably fared worse than others for at least those 1st 6 months.

If anything, Apple lost a point or two last year.

It will take a lot of sustained successes for Apple to make market share progress. I'd be very surprised if they could move 1% per year until they reached somewhere closer to 10%. Beyond that point, they could move faster.

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

didn't Apple come out with a $38 million profit for the quarter? or am I mistaken?

7. seanbeahm macrumors newbie

I heard an ad on the radio that said 40% of Apple's revenue came from the new retail stores. I think that's go to be worth at least a couple of percentage points of the market share.

8. seanbeahm macrumors newbie

Re: Apple had a bad year

"If anything, Apple lost a point or two last year. "

As a matter of fact, Apple was one of the few computer companies that did well last year.

9. seanbeahm macrumors newbie

I heard an ad on the radio that said 40% of Apple's revenue came from the new retail stores. I think that's go to be worth at least a couple of percentage points of the market share.

10. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Not even 5%

It's not even at 5% right now. It's at about 3.8/4.0% Apple did have 5% once, but only for a couple of months. With the new iMac and PM, it will probably increase to around 4.4/4.6% or maybe even 5/5.1

11. oldMac macrumors 6502a

The fact is, Apple lost money last year

The fact is, for the last fiscal year Apple lost money. They didn't have a "terrible" year, but they certainly didn't have a great one.

Dell had a great year. Compaq and HP had a terrible year.

Also, please keep in mind that profit does not equal market share. In fact, it could easily be argued that Apple has been forgoeing market share for the sake of profit. There aren't a lot of PC companies out there with profit margins in the high twenties.

There's no way Apple could have increased their market share in the past year. With the price wars going on between the PC vendors, the recession putting a premium on the bottom line, Apple's introduction of a completely new OS with poor early software support and other factors, it would be completely unrealistic to think that Apple increased market share last year.

This year, I think they've got a good shot to start down that path. But don't expect miracles. Expect maybe 1% if they have a really great year.

12. shergar macrumors member

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there are 25 million Mac users worldwide, if that represents 5% of market share then Apple would have to sell another 25 million Macs to get to 10%. In the past four years Apple sold 6 million iMacs, and those are not all PC converts buying their first Mac. So think about it, Apple has a long way to go to make any sort of significant dent in Wintel's market.

13. grrr223 macrumors regular

I don't think that's what the % market share means, I thought it meant percent of new sales, but please correct me if I am mistaken.

14. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

market share = how many computers apple owns in the whole computer market (ie 5% means 5% of all computers used in the world are macs)

irmongoose

15. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Apple

Apple did not do bad last year. Far from it. While we saw the BIG name Wintel computer companies layoff workers and report losess, Meanwhile we see Apple. Apple realeases iPod and a brand new iMac. Apple was making daring moves and it paid off. $38 million dollars profit, and no layoffs. I think we will see Apple get %6 market share by the end of the year if the iMac wins converts:)

16. germanknee macrumors member

I think a 1% increase of market share of new sales is reasonable esp. because of the new iMac. I think if Apple want's to sustain this growth, at least every 6 months they need to release something with a similar magnitude as the new iMac whether it be consumer desktop or notebook, pro. desktop or notebook, or anything else Apple has up its sleeves. Even major os/software releases could meet this kind of magnitude. Then again, I'm most likely wrong. This is not exactly my expertise. I think Apple is doing well, though.

17. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Reality distortion field... "off"

Okay...
    One last time.

1) APPLE LOST MONEY LAST YEAR. Quarterly profit is quarterly. For the YEAR, Apple lost money. If you don't believe me, go look it up.

2) Apple laid off workers last year. They just didn't make big announcements.

3) Dell kicked everyone's a** last year (including Apple's).

Considering the circumstances, Apple's year wasn't as bad as some other computer company's. However, it was still a bad year. You can't LOSE money in a year and say that it was a good year.

18. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Quarterly Earnings

Estimate Actual Difference % Surprise
    12/2001 0.11 0.11 0.00 0.00%  
    09/2001 0.17 0.19 0.02 11.76%
    06/2001 0.14 0.17 0.03 21.43%  
    03/2001 0.01 0.11 0.10 1000.00%  
    12/2000 -0.64 -0.73 -0.09 -14.06%

Apple did not lose money for the year. They lost money in the fiscal year before last but not in the previous year. Dell posted approximately 1 billion in sales last year. Apple made small layoffs but in many areas so that they did not appear to be making massive layoffs. While other computer manufacturers suffered drops in stock prices due to their 4th quarter layoffs, Apple did not. After September 11th Apples stock price went to around 15 but has since steadily increased, hovering around the mid 20s.

19. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Let's set the record straight:
    2001 Q4 Loss of $66 Million
    2001 Q3 Gain of $61 Million
    2001 Q2 Gain of $43 Million
    2001 Q1 Loss of $195 Million

Total for 2001: Loss of $157 million

These are the net profits for each of Apple's quarters straight from http://www.apple.com/pr

20. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Re: Reality distortion field... "off"

hello? amazon.com? this was the only quarter they've posted profits, and no one would suggest that it was their only good quarter! it's all relative.

21. jaykk macrumors 6502a

22. PyroTurtle macrumors regular

the 5% number is from buisness 3 years ago, and the survey was headed by IBM and any computer that was more than like 6 years old didn't count...a new survey is most likely schedualed for 2 years from now...
    apple might have lost mone, but was it in production, marketing, or research? and so what if it's a bad year, the fact is, they're going up...
    markey share will fluxuate as time goes on and it might have gone up or down...

23. PyroTurtle macrumors regular

oh, i also forgot to mention that the survey was taken BEFORE the iMac came out and before the powerbook took off in popularity

24. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

that survey was taken in the dark years and not when jobs was there so
    hope its up to 6 or 7%

25. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

One of Apples strongest markets for the life of the company has been the education market. What worries me is that Apple prices are causing schools to switch to Dell, Gateway, Compaq, etc. I have seen it happening in almost every school I have worked in. Apple has to get some cheap decent computers to the market to compete in the education market. If Apple continues to loose ground in the K-12 market it is also at a loss for future purchases by kids that "grow up on macs" Why do I like Mac? Cause I grew up on them. Apple for 13 years of my life K-12. It is the same as buying a Toyota or a Ford because your father or mother drove one.

I think the all new iMac is great and I am planning to upgrade my current iMac with the new one in about a year and I think it will do awesome with consumers and businesses, but when the schools look at PC purchases (using tax payers money) they go low budget...they HAVE to. Get a Dell with ed discounts and volume discounts maybe fork over $400-$500 get a new iMac and fork over $1200 to $1700 depending on the model. What we need is a $400-$500 computer aimed at the school market and get Macs flooding the schools again. I think the CRT iMac should be priced lower...in fact...Apple should be cutting the throat of Dell, Gateway, etc... They should be practically giving them away with big ed and volume discounts. Even if they have to take a small loss on the computers, Macs in the classroom means a G5-G6 (or whatever Apple has in a few years) purchase in the future. Anyhow that is one area I would focus on to improve market share. The same holds true for the base model iBook...make a decent computer and fill the schools back up before PC's become a part of every kids life everyday.