Market Share

Discussion in 'Community' started by mac15, Aug 7, 2002.

1. mac15 macrumors 68040

Dec 29, 2001
    Well after all this apple bashing, I realised we are against DELL HP GATEWAY and others intead of M$, so what if we own only 5% market share , for a company of its size damn thats good.......

If apple used x86 then it would be a harsh number, Dell only have about 20% and the rest I don't know, and apple is the 6th in PC sales, which is damn good for a smallish company

I'm probably messed up the explaining abit, but I hope you get what I mean :D
  2. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Re: Market Share

Yeah I realise this too...... people comparing the 4-5% market share of Apple to the entire juxtaposed Windows world of 95%........ instead of making comparisons to other computer companies percentages.........
  3. krossfyter macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002
    secret city
    exactly! i dont know why people keep on making that mistake. its obvious.
  4. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Jan 19, 2002
    People use this number not to rate the company's financials, but to make the far more important decision of whether to develop for it or support it.

Programmers don't sit down and say, 'Today, I'm going to write an app for Dells'. IT departments don't say, ' Let's upgrade all the HPs to Windows XP'.

If a developer is going to target the top six coumpter makers when writing an app, he doesn't have to write six versions. He has to write 2. The first version will cover the top five makers. Also, because of the end user mentality of the top 5's customers, it can be bloated, slow, and crash prone, and they'll think that those attributes are 'undocumented featurs'. The second version is only for company 6, and must be really tight, because company 6's end users expect things to work.

Developers are lazy (I know, I am one), and will only write the most efficient code for pet projects. Software companies are cheap (I know, I've worked for a few), and will pay to have glaring bugs removed, but not for full code optimization, etc.

Therefore, if you can do 80% of the work, please 95% of the sheep (end-users), and take home 100% of your salary, while spending 0% of your nights at work, you do. Thankfully, the tireless Linux/UNIX bunch are accepting us, which means we'll be getting more and more really well written apps as time goes on. When free apps are as good or better than commercial apps, sw companies have to try harder to win sales.

Right now, the Mac is in a prime position to achieve a healthy (15-20%) market share over the next 2-3 years. Oddly, we can thank the other OSes for this. Via Licensing 6.0, M$ has pissed off customers more than even it can get away with. The enterprise desktp market has an open door for the first time in years. Furthermors, even Linux geeks admit that Linux has a crap UI, and can be more trouble than its worth in many scenarios. Therfore we're seeing a lot of the geek Elite totin' Apple laptops.

So, yes, we are 5% against 95%. But the future's kinda rosy, so long as we don't get too big for our britches (more than 30%).

If Apple can double it's market share every two years up to a healthy level, we'll get all the apps, and none of the crap...
  5. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
  6. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

Nov 28, 2001
    down in Fraggle Rock
    well said Nipsy.

and yes although it is 3.xx% it is rising. apple reports more than 80% of sales form apple retail stores are to converts. it might take some time for all of apple's recent advances to be reflected in the numbers. as nipsy said, the future is very rosey.
  7. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    if we ever reach ten percent at any given time, things will look good for apple to dump more money into r and d, and the stock price will shoot way up again and this time, be based on something tangible

with ibook, imac, and emacs in school, we are building tomorrow's adult buyers thru brand loyalty and even though i see it taking twenty years, apple can realize a ten percent share of the market

if we had ten percent of the market, one would see macs everywhere...right now, i only sometimes see an ibook at border's bookstore but it's usually a black or silver pc laptop

i don't see anything at any of the many local starbucks in the way of computers

and at school in the perennial junior college i frequent, i know of only two or three ibooks in a large sea of dells and compaqs...i don't know where hp, asus, winbook, or toshiba stands, but they are not anymore in public than ibooks...and i always look and usually see dells or compaqs...and ibm laptops with their distinctive clickers and boxy design are almost nowhere to be seen since they pulled out of the retail market a few years ago

only dell seems to do gangbuster pc business through the net or over the phone...i wish apple could somehow do the same and have dell like ads with tons of specs and actual prices...but those type of ads put everywhere in many magazines is pricey

i see apple ads in some well placed magazines but not in the same scale as dell