Marketer of the Year: Apple

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Dec 15, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

AdAge names Apple their 2003 Marketer of the Year.

The article provides perspective from Lee Clow, chairman of Omnicom Group's TBWA Worldwide on Apple's marketing and his experience with Steve Jobs.

Every week, Jobs meets the agency which brings new marketing/campaign ideas. These sessions reportedly saw the birth of Apple's recent colorful iPod ads despite some heated discussion at the departure from Apple's traditional white-based ads.

Clow also provides some unsurprising insight into Jobs' personality:

2. macrumors 68040

MattG

Way to go Steve!

3. macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

It's too bad their products don't live up to their hype...

4. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I find it funny that Apple is "Marketer of the year"... in Apple' past, they have been very much not been great marketers.

arn

5. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I found it odd, also, but hey, go Apple.

6. macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

What's ironic is that Apple has long had stylish and memorable marketing/advertising campaigns, but until they came up with a cross-platform product & service (iPod & ITMS), they've never been considered effective.

Maybe marketing a great cross-platform product was all Apple needed to do to get the "other 95%" to take a serious look at them...

7. macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

So the last paragraph said
    They wont make the same mistake using proprietary hardware... Is that a statement regarding the iPod, the computer line or the company as a whole? Seems like they haven't changed strategy yet... The statement appears targeted towards Apples computer line. Does this mean there's a surprise in the pipeline?

8. macrumors newbie

cuggles

'focuses everything on the consumer'

Apart from it's international consumers and any level of good customer service!

The marketing has been great, but perhaps overseas Apple is a victim of it's own success..... We suffer from NOTHING being done for the consumer..

Stephen
    (Disgruntled apple fan and owner in the UK)

9. macrumors 604

iJon

man i bet apple is loving this, they cant even keep up with ipod orders. i dont think ive read one bad thing from critics this holiday season about apple.

iJon

10. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

mmm sounds like Microsoft comment/product ;)

11. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

Re: 'focuses everything on the consumer'

Id have to say that things a fairly similar down here too, although Apple(via our local authorised importer/reseller agent) seems to have a had a fairly low key build up to selling the iPod, with the iPod ads on the music channel, iPod give away with the morning crew on the main raidio station in amongst PS2 stuff but no buses done out with the iPod posters or Bilboards or major TV ads. Might be something about a small 4 million population base and being at the bottom of the world that we dont appear on anyones radar- (not counting Lord of The Rings!)

12. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Apple in general doesn't advertise that much in general public. Even here in the states you don't see Apple ads on buses or out on billboards. They generally go for more subtle places like magazine ads, a few commercials, and online ads.

13. macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Apple promises the Moon and delivers a mountain.

Microsoft promises a hill, which they see as bigger than a mountain, and delivers a steaming turd.

14. macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

You're nuts! Every 5th bus in Philly has a giant iPod ad on the side of it. I don't see many on billboards, but they're on the bus stops as well.

Wassupwitdat? :p

15. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Maybe it's a regional thing, I have never seen Apple ads besides on Cnet, once in a while on tv, and maybe a magazine page or two.

16. macrumors member

Apple Ads Everywhere

There are also tons of Apple Ads here in San Francisco. I remember seeing a pink iTunes/iPod billboard before I had heard about that campaign, just before getting onto the Bay Bridge. It was a sunny day and looked beautiful.

They're on buses, billboards, posters, etc.

Must be regional, maybe confined to urban metropolis settings.

17. macrumors 6502

Re: Apple Ads Everywhere

There's even iPod ads on buses here in the small town of Puyallup, WA. I was really surprised when I saw them.

18. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Perhaps I need to get out more often, heh.

19. iPC
    macrumors 6502

iPC

Go to NYC. The ads are all over the place. Bus stops, subway stations, etc.

20. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I haven't been to a major city outside of Florida besides Newark, NJ in the past year. I guess I'll have to take a trip to New York or California (haven't been to either places ever). I just rarely see any Apple ads besides in magazines and online and an iTunes commercial a couple of weeks ago.

21. elo
    macrumors regular

Last summer, every single bus stop in Manhattan had a Switch ad on it. You've never seen so much advertising from a single company in your life. If you were in NYC then, you'd swear Apple ran the planet.

elo

22. macrumors 6502a

You do in Los Angeles! (6 billboards for Apple are within 1 sq mile from where I work in Santa Monica, CA)

23. macrumors regular

I have to disagree.
    Apple has very strategic and targeted advertising. Here in NYC there's always billboards advertising Apple's latest product but they are placed only in certain areas. Hell, before MacWorld, (IDG sucks!!!) they even pasted bills with the G5 logo on a dark backgroung all over midtown, SoHo, the Village, (sorry, Greenwich Village for out-of-towners) and the Chelsea.
    I have always found Apple to have a very specific audience to whom they advertise.

24. macrumors 6502a

iChan

it's too bad that Apple's advertising in ireland is so bad, I hardly ever see any of them!!!

there were a few knocking about when the new imac came out... but there hasn't been one for iPod OR the G5 AFAIK.

The top advertiser in Ireland has the be Guiness, they put out some really really SHWEET ads.

25. macrumors member

"Apple's elegant Macintosh G4 Titanium laptops are status symbols among students as well as professionals in the entertainment and media industries"

...under a picture of an Al Book.

But heck, any press is good press.