Marketing of the New Mac OS (Leopard)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GoneFishing, Dec 9, 2006.

1. GoneFishing macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

This is probably one of the last things I am putting into consideration before my transformation to a Mac.

I was thinking to buy the new Macbook Pro for Chirstmas, but I just found out that the new Mac OS will be released very soon in spring of 2007. However, I could not seem to find the marketing of this product.

Forgive me if I say this wrong, since I do not yet own a mac. In Windows, I would need to buy the new OS (for hunderds of $$$) and install it. For example, Win2000 to WinXP. Will that be the same for Mac OS?

I am already digging deep for the MBP, if i can somehow save some in between, it would make me much happier man. :D

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

New Mac OS versions have generally cost around $130. While the price hasn't been announced yet, you can read up on the new features here.

3. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

Wow, you paid for Windows XP? I d/l it for free on Limewire. And about Leopard, you will have to pay for it

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Windows releases are different in that they don't come about very often and usually make it quite necessary for you to upgrade. Leopard won't be out for a while. If we can go by Tiger's price, it'll probably cost US$129 and provide some extra features and hopefully some more speed and stability.

Having said that, there are still many users hanging out on Panther (pre-Tiger) with no problems. You'll be able to run Tiger well for years to come. If you need the machine, then get it now. You'll fall in love with OSX and most likely won't mind stumping up the US$129 for Leopard once we all know more about it. After all, we haven't been shown everything yet. :)

5. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

You are a pirate.

6. GoneFishing thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL... that link was great.

Thanks for the info guys. If it would be at $130, or lets just say $150. I suppose I can save up enough in 6-months, which is about the time it comes out and first round issues are patched. :cool:

I'll be ordering soon, hope it ships fast enough, 2 weeks away.

7. GoneFishing thread starter macrumors newbie

I recall WinXP individual licensing allows up to 5 machines having the same product key. So maybe you and friends can split the and have geniun WinXP.

I generally believe in buying the product. But thats just me.

8. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I buy products if I think they are worth the cost. I didn't think Windows XP was worth the price Microsoft was charging. Now, Leopard on the other hand will be worth every penny, just like my new MBP is.

9. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Another small thing to think about this time of year is that Apple has generally upgraded both the iLife suite and the iWork suite in January. So if you plan on using iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, Garageband, or iWeb a lot...you might want to hold off for the upgraded version. That said, the version that comes with the current models will work just as well after the next version comes out. Just another factor to consider though.

10. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

That is a lame excuse to break the law. If you don't think it is worth the price, then don't buy it and don't use it.

11. GoneFishing thread starter macrumors newbie

ah~~ interesting point you bring up. I dont know, I have already bought myself a new 6.0MP digital camera, thinking about a new MP3 player (there was this one from samsug that was really cool, like heat touch pad or something). Putting my media use of computer to a new level, so I am not sure how iLife will suit me.

by the way, is that quote true? Half of americans dont read the newspaper? I only read TIME mag, i hope I dont count as one.

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i would hold up until after MWSF, you never know it might come out in Feb or the later and you can hold off your purchase and save the $130 and have it come with your MBP

13. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Well the current version of iLife will come with your computer and is very cool, but each version brings new features to it, that's all.

I don't take it literally, I think the main point is one hopes that the people who have bothered to educate themselves as to what is going on in the world/nation are exercising their right to vote...and that those who haven't educated themselves aren't just participating in the electoral process out of blind "party loyalty" or for other reasons.

14. cervaro macrumors regular

I'm looking at either a Macbook Pro or Macbook to compliment my new Imac 24". If I hang on and wait until Leopard comes out, and buy it with a new laptop, will I be able to use that to upgrade the Imac, or will I need to purchase a separate upgrade edition of Leopard?

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i dunno, u might be able to do that, but I am sure some ppl here will call it illegal.

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

This would be breaking the EULA that you agree to when installing the software. This is not different or better than downloading a copy from the internet.

In addition the copies of OSX that come on the restore DVDs that come with new Macs are locked to that class of Mac. So an iMac restore DVD will work on another iMac (even with a different spec) but not on a Mac Pro or MacBook. So the DVD that comes with a new MacBook will not work on an iMac.

17. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

If you're always waiting until the latest and greatest version, you'll be waiting forever.

MWSF is in early January, not February.

18. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

What?

Some people might CALL it illegal? As in it's some arbitrary decision by people on Macrumors whether it's illegal or not?

19. imacintel macrumors 68000

NO! Don't buy some MP3 Player from SamSung. Buy an iPod, better compatibility with mac.

20. cervaro macrumors regular

So if I order a copy of Leopard when it comes out, would I be correct in assuming that it will upgrade the edition of Tiger on my Imac straight out of the box without any problems? I'm new to Macs, so not au fait with how Apple supplies major software upgrades other than the fact they come on DVD these days.

21. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yep. You will be able to install the OS over the current one, archive the current one and install a clean version of Leopard without impacting your installed apps or docs or even install a clean new OS without keeping your installed apps or docs.