Marketplace Sale = COD screw-up

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rtdgoldfish, Sep 13, 2006.

1. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I sold a MacMini to another MacRumors member about two weeks ago via the marketplace forums.

We agreed that payment would be via post office COD. I filled out the form at my post office saying I wanted CASH which I was informed would come in the form of a money order. Fine, no big deal here. I've never had a problem with a USPS money order.

About a week later, I recieved my payment in the mail in the form of a personal check. I was a little upset by this, contacted the post office and asked what I should do. They simply said to cash the check, so I deposited it into my bank account on Sept. 5th. They made $100 available on that date and the rest would be placed on hold for a week since it was an out-of-state check.

Today, Sept. 13th, I get a notice from my bank in the mail saying the check was returned because of unavailable funds. The bank charged me a $32 fee for the check bouncing plus another $32 fee for each transaction I had made in the past week since I had used the $100 that was made available to me. My account is now in the red by several hundred dollars because of this bounced check.

What on earth should I do?? I've sent an email to the buyer and have not recieved a response. I don't want to post his screen name here in case this is a big mix up but I get the feeling I was scammed. Is the post office somehow responsible because I had filled out the form for cash and I recieved a check?? I still have the forms that I filled out. I'm going to bring them to the post office tomorrow morning (its 6:15 here now, they are closed) and see what they have to say.

**EDIT** Just noticed that the guy I sold the MacMini to has been trying to sell it to other members. Should I post his username in case this is some sort of scam??

2. generik macrumors 601

generik

Better post it so we all know, sounds like a scam to me.

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yeah, post his username. If it's a scam, good, you're letting others know, if it's a misunderstanding, maybe he'll see it and post back and you can just get this erased later.

4. Voltes V macrumors member

scam, no doubt.
    paying with a personal check with the agreement of using US postal Money Order. post away his username.

by the way, next time you sell something, let them send you the payment first and then send them your item.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

Sounds like Bank of America - a couple of years ago I was out of work and accidently went into the red before an unemployment check was due (the state sent it late), and they let me use my debit card (VISA) 10 times - a few transactions for five and six dollars - to the tune of $300 in overdrafts. My fault, obviously, but you would think if the funds weren't there, that the card should get declined, right? Nope, they wouldn't even consider even splitting the charges with me.

Anyway to address your original post - take the issue up with a moderator.

Light em' up.

6. rtdgoldfish thread starter macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Alrighty, user was Budaapple.

This was the thread about the sale. I responded to his post via email.

This is the thread where he is trying to sell my Mini to another user.

This was my thread where I was selling the Mini.

Here is the original COD form I filled out with the cash box filled in and the form I recieved in the mail with the bad check.

I can also post an image of all the emails we sent to each other. Gmail conversations are a wonderful thing.

Attached Files:

7. rtdgoldfish thread starter macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Yup, Bank of America. I've been quite happy with them for a few months until this mess. I guess its not really their fault the check bounced. Oh well, hope this all works itself out.

8. generik macrumors 601

generik

That is such a load of ********, doesn't CASH on delivery mean anything? Here in Australia it is literally cash, no credit cards even.

9. rtdgoldfish thread starter macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Yep. It was supposed to be cash which, since the postal service doesn't want to mail cash, would be turned into a money order. If you notice, the form I recieved back in the mail had the "check amount" box filled in for a different amount sometime after I had mailed it.

10. coal macrumors regular

coal

Perhaps this should be taken up with the moderators first? I can't imagine anyone would be stupid enough to steal a member's hardware and then turn around and sell the stuff on the same site. It has to be some sort of misunderstanding.

I just don't know if the vigilante justice is needed just quite yet.

Also, I do want to clarify that I hope this gets resolved quickly for you. It really is frustrating when things sort of avalanche through no fault of your own. Good luck!

11. iGary Guest

iGary

It's not their fault that the check bounced, but you would think they might decline your debit card transactions if there isn't any money instead of charging you $32 a pop without you knowing you're overdrawn every time. ;)

Good luck to you.

12. rtdgoldfish thread starter macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Problem was I technically hadn't overdrawn my account. I had $100 that was made available to me from the check. I spent about $60 over 7 transactions before the entire check was removed from my account. This gave me seven $32 fees for these items plus another one for the bounced check making my total fees $256. I guess this is how banks make their money.

13. generik macrumors 601

generik

Perhaps, but not replying to emails and site messages?

Something is amiss.

14. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Well, I live in IL too, so if you'd like me and my 6'5" 275 lb room-mate to "pay a visit" we'd most certainly be inclined to.

:D ;)

15. rtdgoldfish thread starter macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Only if you guys get some "MacRumors Fraud Department" shirts and take plenty of pictures :D

16. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I also live in IL. Like 30 minutes away from Peoria actually. If the user doesnt respond you may want to contact his local authorities. You shouldnt have a problem at least getting the mini back.

You have record of the transaction. Your bank should have a copy of the checked that bounced.

If you need any help you are more than welcome to contact me. Good luck to you.

EDIT: Dont most banks have overdraft protection? Not in the case of the OP, but in the case of the buyer.

For instance, if it was me who bought the mini and sent you a check. And it bounced, the bank will pick up the slack and charge me a fee.

I thought that was standard thing these days, i guess not.

Another thing, I would go after USPS for the overdraft fees. It is there fault considering they promised you a money order. Might not get anywhere but you never know.

17. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

wow.. that's awful. i really hope this gets resolved. make sure to keep us up to date about how it unfolds.

i would definitely go to the post office and complain about why your buyer was allowed to give a personal check instead of cash, as you'd requested. seems like a goof up on their part.. one that COULD result in them being liable, especially if you can't get any answers/results from budaaple.

it's always so disappointing to hear these kind of stories about our marketplace, though. :(

18. rtdgoldfish thread starter macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

My account has overdraft protection but I guess the guy who wrote me the check doesn't have that on his account. Oh well, I'm going to the post office first thing in the morning to see what they have to say. Thanks for the advice so far guys. At least the majority of the community are nice folks :)

19. rtdgoldfish thread starter macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Recieved an email from the buyer this morning. He said he is mailing the Mini back to me with a $50 money order to help cover some of the bank fees. I guess that means I have a MacMini for sale again, anyone interested?? ;)

20. rtdgoldfish thread starter macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

21. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I'd wait until you actually get the mini back before you ask them to delete the thread...

22. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

only $50? i thought you were charged $200+ because of his check..? are you just eating the $150?

23. iGary Guest

iGary

Bouncing a check is illegal and stuff.

24. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

$50 is not enough. Not only did he waste your time, but he took money from you.

I also would wait until you actually get something before you delete this thread.

Also, did he give a reason for all of this?

25. matttrick macrumors 6502

he could just be saying he is going to send it to get you off his back for a while. either way, the post office was supposed to take CASH, not a check. its their fault if you get stiffed.