Marketplace thread bumping

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by bousozoku, Mar 11, 2006.

1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Since bumping of threads in the Marketplace (among other places) continues, I'm going to suggest the following:

Everyone dealing should have private messages and notifications enabled. There is no reason to post "PM sent" or "PM replied" in a thread.

Posting "anyone interesting?" or something similar will also be counted as an unnecessary bump. If someone is interested, they will let you know.

If you change the price, add or subtract items, or otherwise modify the deal, change the original post and use colour or bolding to let people know. Please do not create an additional post saying "price lowered" or "item 1 sold."

By the way, having your friends bump the thread for you may also get the thread into trouble, so it would be advisable to keep the thread as clean as possible.

I'm sure someone will have a suggestion for me, but consider these guidelines to be real because that's what I already use to judge Marketplace threads.

Thanks!

2. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

This has been bugging me forever, when somebody says "PM Replied/Sent" I just wanna explode, but the forum rules prevent me from doing so ;).

3. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

This needs to be stickied in the Marketplace.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We've added mention of the "PM sent" habit to the Marketplace Rules.

Such posts should not be necessary since all parties should already know to have Private Messages enabled and to check them when a Marketplace deal is under consideration or in progress.

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

good stuff

you guys tackled a lot of things that tend to bother me there. Thanks for the goood work. Only other thing that has been bothering me lately is some of the user trying to moderate the sales. I would guess they're reporting too hopefully.

6. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

Thank you very much Doctor Q! :)

7. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

It's posted here for now because they are still mostly suggestions at this moment.

8. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

yes, we've noted that too, if it becomes a problem then it will be dealt with, there is an element of self-moderation on the forums anyway which is no bad thing, but "self-appointed" moderators are never a good idea.

As always, if you see something out of line, report it.

9. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

*still hoping that the modification gets implemented that the person creates a thread and no one can reply to it, so no concern of bumping*

10. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

That could work or maybe have it so the person that created the thread can't post in it for 3 days....like how howardforums.com does it or just have the original person not allowed to post in the thread at all, just people that are interested can post.

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We have to balance the suggestions to be stricter and stricter against the effectiveness of the Marketplace.

If we treat Marketplace threads more as ad placement areas, and less as a place for negotiations, we may inhibit successful transactions, and that's not our intent.

Even if moderation continues to be required, we don't want to pour out the baby with the bathwater. Or however that cliché goes.

12. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

We've been selling babies? :eek:

Yes, we need to be careful to balance the Marketplace. We don't want to stifle the business there but only to give everyone a fair chance. Obviously, self-restraint would be the most helpful action exercised but that hasn't worked.

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Some people do consider their Macs to be members of their family. It's a shame when you have to sell your child, but sometimes you just need the cash. :p

14. danny_w macrumors 601

Everybody seems to be so upset about thread bumping in the marketplace, but the one good thing about it is that it gives me a chance to see things that I might otherwise miss. Of course it can be annoying, but canning a thread because of bumping (as has happened a lot lately) can really stifle sales and make people far less likely to use the marketplace. I think you need to keep that in mind before getting to heavy handed. Just my 2 cents.

15. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

The problem is that usually only a few specific sellers will 'bump' their threads and other sellers that actually follow the Marketplace rules get burned because their threads drop off the radar.

16. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Danny and myself might be the only ones to disagree.

Out of all the useless posts I've seen on macrumors, the ones that say "pm sent" and what not are probably the least obtrusive.

But seriously, say you're selling something like a powermac, and after a week nobody cares so you decide to lower the price. Using your method, by the time you change your price, nobody will ever know because you'll be on page 3 or 5.

What do you do? Start a new thread? Or keep things organized and just bump your own thread. I honestly think that if you still have something for sale, it doesn't HURT anybody to bump it once every few days. Nobody looks back a few pages for things to buy.

Maybe there could be a thing in the marketplace where you can wasteland your own thread after something gets sold or is taken off the market. That way only current things would be in the marketplace (as long as most people do it).

17. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The only problem I see with that is what happens when someone has a question about the item for sale?

Yes, it could be handled through PM, but most questions are ones that anyone interested in the item would also like answered.

18. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    if we ended up doing that idea, we would have to increase the PM inbox amount again. We'd have to say 200 Pms, or people will get upset.

19. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I go to HoFo and I HATE the way they do it. And their marketplace has even more problems than ours... it's TERRIBLE.

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

People who are cooperative enough to make that system work, I suspect, would be fine with the current system as well.

21. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Within reason, that should be handled in the thread but the original poster should update the original post. Of course, if they fill out the information in the first place, there will be fewer questions bumping the thread. It seems as though some people purposely leave out information in order to bump the thread.

22. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

And in that case, the OP could amend the original post to answer said question... in fact, it would behoove them to do so so as not to have to answer multiple PMs with the same question.

And we wouldn't have to raise the limit on the number of PMs in each person's mailbox... that's what the Save and Delete functions are for.

23. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Personally, all this uptightness about the marketplace has made the decision never to use it again pretty simple.

Not being allowed to bump your thread when it has slipped to page 3 over 24 hours or so is detrimental to both the seller and the buyer.

I know my opinion counts for about..... >this< .........much but i thought i would stick my oar in.

24. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That wouldn't be the case if every other jackass didn't try in one way or another to bump their own threads.

25. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

If everyone plays by the rules, the threads won't slip that far away.

Besides, you know that people are going to find old threads--they've dug up 3 and 4 year old threads just this last week.