Marklar Confirmed (sort of)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by agreenster, Jan 27, 2003.

1. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I was reading an article by Lee Gomes in the January 20th edition of the Wall Street Journal, on the front page of the Marketplace section titled, "Apple Is Now Showing Some Real Substance Behind the Pretty Case." Its a relatively glowing review of Apple's new hardware and software, but the most interesting quote from the article makes a 'matter of fact' mention of Apple's code-named Marklar project.

It states "Apple has hired boatloads of programmers, including some open-source big shots. Application software now has its own division. There is even a group that keeps a version of Apple's OSX operating system available for running on Intel machines. The effort is part of Apple's open-source commitment, but could also be useful if the company ever decides to switch from the PowerPC microprocessor."

So I dont know if this is just a journalist taking liberties, or he actually knows something we dont. Ive never heard anything solid about Marklar, just rumors. This, to me is probably the strongest evidence that Apple DOES in fact have OSX for the Intel box, despite all the nay-sayers who say it cant be done.

I dont subscribe to the WSJ (just happened to have a copy of this particular edition), and cant get to their article section on the web because of it. Id like to read any comments online regarding this article if anyone is a subscriber.

Okay, so this is just food for thought for everyone. But my 2 cents is that OSX for the Intel PC is long overdue. I would love to toss Windows XP on my dual Xeon and do my Intel box up all fancy.

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I'm not sure, but this guy could be talking about either Marklar or Darwin.

I find it highly likely that Marklar exists. On the other hand, I find it incredibly unlikely that it will ever be released as a software package for PCs. It makes sense for Apple to maintain it, because it improves their code portability and serves as an escape route should the necessity arise in the coming years. On the other hand, actually releasing it would be suicide, for reasons I hope we don't have to go over again.

3. Mr. MacPhisto macrumors 6502

I agree on that. Releasing Marklar to the PC would not be wise, but maintaining a build for them to be used internally or by PC Software makers for portability does make sense. It does also keep options open should Apple ever need to depart from PPC technology. The AMD talk a few months ago, before 970 was announced and rumors started flying about that chip, may have centered around a version of Marklar.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

My guess is that they have a very limited marklar, that being a darwin port and very tiny aqua port, so that if need be the developers can all stop work on PPC X and immidiately switch to darwin, and they'll have something to start from-- total switch time, maybe 4-6 months. and it's maximum use of personell, tho a PPC X would no longer have any staff...

i'd imagine they've had something like this for a long time tho, in case motorola and IBM decide to stop making PPC.

pnw

5. cubist macrumors 68020

Notice it mentions that the group is "part of Apple's open source commitment". That pretty strongly implies Darwin, not Aqua (or Cocoa).

6. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

Yeah but guys.......

It specifically says TO USE ON INTEL machines!

How much more direct is THAT?

7. Choppaface macrumors 65816

wouldn't every single app have to be rewritten then, or do cocoa apps just have to be recompiled?

8. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

remember "classic mode"?

now think "good platform mode" ;)

apple could do it. they wont. i think they would find every other option first - inc having AMD make PPC chips w/apple paying the license fee.

oh, and as has been covered 1mill times before. if apple went x86, x86-64 or itanium:it would be proprietry. they would make sure it couldnt run on an off the shelf pc. no worries there.

9. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

If Apple does have an Intel version of OS X that is being kept up-to-date, that is a good thing.

It is always a good idea for a company to have a plan B available. Still, I'm pretty sure that Apple wouldn't release it under any normal circumstances other than if the PPC kept falling behind so much that there was no hope of staying competitive.