Mars Polar Lander Found?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacSA, May 4, 2005.

1. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Interesting stuff - it would be nice if they could find it. But looking at the image of the Spirit rover, I don't think they'll be able to assess much. Now if they could send Spirit to repair the other craft, that would be cool...

Yes, I know it's not equipped to do it, but still.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It would be really cool to know what happened to it. I remember when it disappeared there was not much info on the news.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

LOL, the only thing that Spirit could do would be to drill into it and take microscopic pictures to see what it is made of, but we already know that. :D

Anyway, someday astronauts will probably go check it out in person - by the time I'm in a nursing home we'll have found out why it didn't land properly. ;) :p :rolleyes:

5. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

I think they spent too long looking at the rover and missed something much more obvious.

Click on the thumbnail to see the larger version.

Attached Files:

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

Pretty amazing - I'm surprised you're the first one to see it, but maybe it's just because you pointed it out that it seems so obvious. Maybe we should forward this back to those know-it-alls at NASA. :D

7. MacSA thread starter macrumors 68000

MacSA

8. MacSA thread starter macrumors 68000

MacSA

the next Mars Oribter, Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter is scheduled for launch on August 10th this year. It has a camera with the highest resolution ever flown to another planet. It will also keep a look out for the various landers that have reached mars over the years:

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mro/spotlight/20050412.html

[​IMG]

9. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

We need a manned repair mission to the roving thing, and we could reconfigure it to drive to the polar thing and repair it automatically. :p

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

We could do a lot more than the Polar Lander if we had people there, so it wouldn't be worth it to fix the thing. Besides, if it cut out its landing engine, there might be a few pieces to put together, but most likely its a crater.... :p

D

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It would be great if NASA was able to find the Mars Polar Lander. Knowing its condition should be helpful to future missions.

12. MacSA thread starter macrumors 68000

MacSA