Mars rovers use Power PC chips!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Chisholm, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Chisholm macrumors regular

Chisholm

I'm sitting here watching TechTV and they're interviewing folks at the JPL about the rovers. Seems that the rovers are powered by a 20mhz Power PC chips. Cool!

2. alphaone macrumors 6502

Actually they're wrong. The rovers have 25Mhz PPC processors (Not that it's that big of a difference). http://www.iews.na.baesystems.com/space/rad6000/rad6000_sbsc.html Most spacecraft use some sort of PPC processor. It's a very common thing.

The TSS guys know a lot about tech but they don't know jack about space stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love the show, but it felt kinda weird watching them act like they knew stuff about space and space travel.

3. Chisholm thread starter macrumors regular

Chisholm

Thanks for the correction. Yeah its a great show in general, but you can certainly tell when they get out of their realm of knowledge. I think it would be cool if they did a special 26 hour show on the X Prize showing each of the teams.

4. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

5. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

oops... here is the jpeg

Attached Files:

6. alphaone macrumors 6502

Alright. It's not exactly a PPC chip but it's really close to being one. It's based (or are PPC's based off of it?) off of the PPC architecture.

Predecessor to PPC=Basically PPC

7. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

PowerPC is based on POWER

RAD6000 is POWER
    RAD750 is PowerPC

Remember the Mars Pathfinder mission? That used the RAD6000 as well, but for the base, not the rover portion. I think the rover portion used an Intel based CPU, instead of the IBM based CPU.

I guess we should just say that "Its close enough for government work." :D