Martain Fields Cover

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Betateam, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Betateam macrumors member

I FINALLY got my iPod today. 60GB black. I got the Martain Fields cover for it and I did something wrong. The corner where I pealed the cover from the backing will not stick to the face of the iPod. Now matter how much I press or for how long it comes right up. ALso the wheel and the button fell right off. It says it is reusable. How?

THanks
    Alpha

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sorry you're having trouble.

You could try cleaning the non-sticky corner with tape as they suggest to remove lint. it'll probably help remove the grease and stuff that is probably stopping it from sticking. I hesitate to wash it as they also suggest.

B

3. corbin_a2 macrumors regular

Yeah, I have the problem with the wheel. Front and rear are ok but have bubbles.

4. Betateam thread starter macrumors member

What makes it stick?
    SHouldn't it be sticky? I tried washing it and it still didn't stick.....dang.

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Er, I know this sounds stupid... but maybe you have the wrong sheet. Maybe the sticky actual protector you mistook for the part to throw away.

6. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

just try the tape...

mine did the same thing.... cleaned it with scotch tape and now it's all dandy... i LOVE this cover.

7. Betateam thread starter macrumors member

Well there was a sticker on it that said "remove backing" so I took that side off.
    The big main face is great, with the exeption of the one corner. It is the wheel and the button that fell off.

8. Betateam thread starter macrumors member

So you cleaned the bottom with tape...and that made is readhere itself?

9. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Did you follow the drying instructions too? Hair dryer? It probably wouldn't be sticky if you tried to dry it with a cloth. ;)

The guide says:
    Watch the dust removal process at http://www.overlayplus.com/video/RemoveDust.ram

B

11. Baked macrumors newbie

I just received my 5G Black 60GB today also. Had a hard time peeling the MF overlay from the plastic sheet and putting it on the iPod. As others have said, the corners would not stick. The back sheet is obviously 2mm too big all around. I can't believe I just wasted $19 on it. If you want to get film protection for your iPod, you're better off getting InvisibleShield.

I know zCover has a case for the 5G already, but the shipping from Canada to US is ridiculously expensive for something so small. I'm waiting for iSkin to get their acts together and make a 5G version of DUO they have for Nano. Hurry up iSkin!

12. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Front cover went on okay for me and looks great. Corners were fine. The back shield for me is too small if anything. Certainly not too big anyway.

I also tried the Decal Girl shield and it's nowhere near as clear as the MF overlay and the back tries to cover more than it should and kept peeling off so I ditched that idea. They've suggested I had one from a bad batch but even so, it's still not a very clear finish.

After all the raves I decided to try the Invisible shield. Okay, first up, it's not quite invisible. I'm also not fond of the adhesive qualities. I'll almost guarantee that it'll leave a residue somewhere when it's removed! It does cover more of the iPod though and the less than smooth finish isn't too bad. The one I received though has an incorrectly cut wheel so it overlaps the wheel in just on area and stops it from clicking. Bit of a pain in the @rse.

For me the Martin Fields cover is by far the best for appearance but the Invisible Shield wins for all round protection. I can't really recommend the Decalgirl unless you want to buy one of their coloured skins.

13. Ryvita macrumors member

Of course I was a bit stupid and grabbed the "real" protector too hard, because I thought the other one's the one to stick...now a corner is scratched (of course in the easily visible top corner) and one other corner won't stick, although I tried to clean it with tape...
    But to be honest, properly attached this looks like nothing's on it! Much better than the invisble shield.

14. davefan6435 macrumors regular

Well I managed to poke a hole in mine cause I hate my car. I put it in the ash tray holer in my parents 93 ford tarurus(probably misspelled but you get the point) I closed it while I was doing my paper route and when I took it out there was a small hole by the screen. I called them up yesterday and they said they'd send a new one to me today. I'm willing to almost guarantee that it won't leave an adhesive because I pulled it off my clickwheel and nothing was left. Ill let you know what happens when I get the new one hopefully tomorrow

15. Betateam thread starter macrumors member

I e-mailed them and they are going to replace it.
    THey said that because of the material on the click wheel and that the middle button is small that they don't stick well.
    But because of the corner problem they will replace it. I might have been user error trying to get it to come off the backing. But it should not that easy to damage.

16. davefan6435 macrumors regular

glad to hear its going to work out for you, I can't wait to get my new invisible shield

17. Wednesday macrumors member

Wednesday

I've been struggling with my MF screen protector (MF means something else in my experience!). I can't get rid of the bubbles or microscopic pieces of lint no matter how much credit card pressing and sellotape dabbing I do, so my new black iPod looks somewhat scruffy with its cover on. In fact, I've had to mess with it so much that I've managed to do the very thing I was trying to avoid - put some teeny scratches on the iPod.

Since it's in the free pouch most of the time anyway, it's not a major concern, but I'm a bit disappointed that it's not as great as I was expecting for the price.

If anyone has one, I'd recommend applying it under lab conditions - rubber gloves and an operating table! The bits that I've managed to get smooth do look good though.

18. bepster macrumors member

somebody told me that the shower is a great tool in this case. let the shower go until the room get's all steamy, then there will be no dust in the room!

this obviously makes it so much easier to apply...

I ordered my MF shield just a week ago, so I don't know yet..
    by the way, they say it takes 1-6 weeks to ship to europe (sweden)???

6 weeks? they must be kidding, it's just airmail!

19. Betateam thread starter macrumors member

Mine came in a few days. (2-3 maybe)
    The said the replacement would take 2-3 weeks???

20. bepster macrumors member

This is what it said in the email I got:

"Please note that the delivery time for registered air mail is around 1 to 6 weeks."

strange, huh?