Martin Fields screen protector

Discussion in 'iPod' started by luckylisp, Jun 23, 2006.

1. luckylisp macrumors 6502

2. luckylisp thread starter macrumors 6502

Apologies for bumping this, but I'm still curious about people's experiences with the Martin Fields protectors. Especially someone who has used both the MF's and the IS.

Anyone?

3. Hytower77 macrumors regular

Hytower77

Some random place outside of Fort Worth, TX
    From what I've experienced, the MF is ok. I have the IS on my Black 5g. A buddy of mine has the MF shields on his Motorola v3x. They both seem to work, although, he had a harder time getting the mf right on his phone than I did with the IS on my iPod.

Protection seems fine on both. It really just a matter of preference then I guess.

Good luck...

4. happy.buddha macrumors member

happy.buddha

I've had the MF on my 5G from the first week, it's endured in and out of a silicon case, in and out of the JBL On-Stage for the last 9+ months and the only complaint I have is that it doesn't stick on the upper right edge (about 10mm) and the middle circle sticker for the click wheel button has another 5mm section on the outer edge that doesn't stick, and forget about using the donut shaped piece for the click-wheel, but it does still look as good as the day that I put it on.

5. Hytower77 macrumors regular

Hytower77

I kinda have the same issue with the IS, but other than that, it's great. I've got some pics here...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=208504

6. luckylisp thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks very much for the replies. Does the Martin Fields appear clearer and not as dimpled? Or does it have that effect as well? I have noticed the IS seems to have a slight orange peel look to it, which I guess is what puts me off a bit.

Although I have to say Hytower77's application looks amazing.

7. Hytower77 macrumors regular

Hytower77

The MF is smooth as glass...but the inside that goes down, I scratched the ***** out of the first one I tried to put on anything.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

9. luckylisp thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the pic, balamw. It looks awesome, super clear with no dimples which is exactly what I want and why I've been hesitant to get the IS. Was the MF really difficult to apply? Did you have to use water as you do with the IS?

Thanks again for the replies.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Not too diffiuclt and no water was involved, this was what pushed me to the MF instead of the IS.

I did find it somewhat difficult to peel off the backing without scratching some of the adhesive off the edges of the protector and also found that it's very easy to trap dust under it, so try to make sure your work area is dust free when you apply it. I've never bothered to try and remove the dust as they describe...

B

11. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I started one of the threads mentioned above when deciding to buy or not and I am extremely glad I did. I cant even tell that the Invisible Shield is there and it looks so awesome. Im not afraid to use my iPod either:D

I would highly recommend it to anyone over any other case. Although I do use it with an iPod sock...however it is not necessary.

12. luckylisp thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you so much for the info, balamw (and everyone else) it's helped a lot. :) I'm glad no water is involved, that concerned me about the IS as well.

13. luckylisp thread starter macrumors 6502

Received the Martin Fields protector today and applied it and it's incredible. Even better then I expected. I seriously cannot even tell it's there, it's crystal clear. I actually found it quite easy to apply too. I held it on each side with a couple pieces of scotch tape on the top side so I could use both hands to position the adhesive side down, that helped a lot. I was able to reposition it a couple times and remove a couple tiny flecks of dust with tape, came out perfect! I was worried that using the tape on the adhesive side to remove dust specs would leave a mark, but it didn't at all.

I highly recommend it to anyone considering a plain shield. It's sheer as glass and looks terrific. I also applied the wheel cover and prefer it over the matte feel of the actual wheel.

Thanks again to everyone who replied here. :)

14. Ipaqman macrumors 6502

can you apply the martin fields overlay without water... i mean on the instructions included it says that you have to peel the protector off the backing and then soak in water, then dry and apply. do you really have to wet the protector after you peel it off the backing or can you just take it off the backing and then apply without washing in water?

thanks,
    ipaqman