Mary J. Blige iPod + iTunes Ad

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 19, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple debuted a new iPod + iTunes ad tonight on television. The ad continues the silhouette dancer theme of Apple's long running iPod ads. The ad is featured on Apple's iTunes product page. (direct QuickTime link)

[​IMG]

The television ad promotes a new album called Growing Pains by Mary J Blige. Growing Pains is available for pre-order on iTunes ahead of its December 18th released date. The individual song, Work That, is also available now as a single.

Apple's use of songs in their television advertisements has clearly shown to be a boost for artists. Lesser known artist, Feist, recently saw significant exposure after 1234 was used in the newest iPod nano tv ad.

Article Link

2. macrumors G3

puckhead193

3. macrumors 68040

Grimace

love it! very catchy ad -- nice job apple marketing!

4. macrumors regular

Merkuryy

Haven't seen it yet. But very happy to see the shadow come back ,they were so cool especially these with the 2G nano

5. macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    yay

more commercials
    :rolleyes:

6. macrumors 6502a

fastbite

Love it -- it's nice to see the very gradual evolution of those ads.

7. macrumors regular

We've come a long way baby!

Wow, watching that ad just makes me think how far these silhouette ads have come in just 6 short years. That ad looks really nice, and the colours and silhouette effect just looks fantastic. I guess it is in a very high resolution on the Apple site, but it just still looks a cut above the previous commercials.

8. macrumors 6502

Who is voting this negative?

Redmond? anyone?

9. macrumors regular

Wow, slow rumor day! Must be getting close to the holidays!

10. macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Yeah, this new commercial looks pretty cool
    and it seems to be of alot higher quality than the past ones

The effects are off the chain :)

(It takes a little to get me excited, call it Job's Reality Distortion Field)

11. macrumors regular

It's great that they display the name of the music at the end. Instead of wondering what that song was, viewers of the TV versions can find the songs much sooner.

12. macrumors 68000

Me1000

There isnt even a white iPod anymore...
    :eek:
    :D

13. macrumors 68000

FJ218700

Would have been better if it were silhouetting the chubby PC guy lip-syncing Mary J.'s song.

14. macrumors 6502a

Cool ad...don't care for that particular song though :cool:

15. macrumors newbie

16. macrumors 65816

I agree.

Also, this commerical has to be one of their best! Great animations (coolest I've seen from Apple) and a pretty good song. :)

17. macrumors 68040

queshy

Beautifully done ad but I don't like the music. It just doesn't do it for me like the past songs have. This one and that spanish one, lol.

But good job, still.

18. macrumors 6502

Probably the people who think the silhouette ads are getting stale and a good idea that's been dragged on WAY too long.

19. macrumors G3

bigandy

yeah, another one for the "not too convinced about the song, but those effects are saturating me with pleasure" camp. :D

20. macrumors 6502

Anyone else notice that they used the 5G iPods, not the iPod Classic?

21. macrumors 6502

Yeah I sorta kinda maybe did thing is they look more or less the same when they silhouette them plus it looks better to have the iPod white in a silhouette then aluminum or black. I liked the ad though its a very nice improvement I'm also not to sure about the song but ad itself is great. EDIT: actually after watching that again I think that song goes perfect with the ad in everyway I think, overall though alone I'm not sure how I would feel about it.

22. macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

I like the commercial on the whole, but the dancing/movement felt wholly out of sync with the rhythm of the music. Maybe it was just me, but when it shows Mary J. Blige's solo scenes, it doesn't look like she's in tune with the song at all.

Maybe the camera is zoomed in too far, but she keeps bouncing in and out of the frame and it makes the entire motion seem out of sync. It almost gives me motion sickness.

23. macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

To be honest, I liked the old iPod ads better. Nothing against the song or singer, I just preferred when the ads were about the people using the iPods (ie, us), and not about the singer. I prefer the pure black silhouette, not the ones where you can see the person.

24. macrumors 65816

lazyrighteye

Very nice evolution of their silhouette campaign.
    A little more detail in the subjects than in past iterations.
    Me likey.

25. macrumors regular

Merkuryy

Agreed with your opinion to the silhouette. But the golden apple at the end was just cool, and you have to move to develop new kinds of ads. Like this one