Maryland Democrats Act Shamefully

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by clayj, Nov 2, 2005.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

http://www.washingtontimes.com/metro/20051101-104932-4054r.htm

So, rather than being pleased that a black man is likely going to be the Republican nominee for one of Maryland's Senate seats in next year's election (which is quite an impressive feat), black Democrats have decided to call him an Uncle Tom and to throw Oreo cookies at him.

Between Mr. Steele, Condoleeza Rice, Colin Powell, and any other number of successful black politicians, I guess the lesson here is that apparently Democrats are all for more black politicians, but only as long as they are Democrats and NOT Republicans.

These people ought to be ashamed of themselves. They just can't look at people without considering their race first. "If you're black, you've gotta be a Democrat... if you're NOT, there must be something hideously wrong with you."

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

That sounds so much worse than uprooting civil liberties, allowing the legal system to disproportionately target blacks, allowing corporations to systematically exclude blacks from jobs and all the other racist **** that still goes on in our society just beneath the surface.

But you're right, it's despicable when Democrats do it, too. It's just that one party has institutional racism in their blood. And I'm not talking about the Democratic Party.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah the Maryland race has gotten ugly with racial overtones. Not only have the Dems behaved badly, as you note, but the GOP governor apparently held a fundraiser at an all-white club, which Steele refused to criticize, prompting the 'Uncle Tom' response from the Dems.

Plenty of bad behavior all the way around.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

5. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

You mean the Elks club where O'Malley's brother had his wedding reception and where Democrats have long held meetings?

I believe we (my law school) will be hosting the other Senatorial candidates. Would it be wrong for me to throw Oreos and call them Uncle Toms and ask for a response? Or is that crossing the line?

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ummmm.... sure. Two wrongs make a right WAS the point of my post after all.
    :rolleyes:

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

While I agree their behavior was inappropriate, I see what you're saying. This is sort of like the concept of gay Republicans. That's truly f***ed up in my opinion. I don't care what gay Republicans say, the party still wants you dead. I don't get black Republicans either. Makes no sense.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

How tolerant of you.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

iGary- then explain it to me in way way that it could possibly make sense.

10. iGary Guest

iGary

You're saying that I'm effed up.

I'm saying you are not tolerant of other people's views.

That's all.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's ok to be a second-class citizen as long as I don't have to pay taxes! ;)

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Why is it that you're Republican then? (At least that's what I'm assuming). What is it about them that you like, when they care nothing for your basic liberties? You don't see why that could be construed as a bit strange? Here's your opportunity to help me understand.

13. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm registered independent, but I believe in most of the core Republican ideologies. Do I like the current administration? Nope. Do I like most Republican politicians? Haven't found many I do like.

What I do like is what the Republican party - at it's core is SUPPOSED to be.

Just because I am a Republican/have Republican beliefs doesn't mean I have to give up on the party, nor does it mean I endorse most of today's Republicans, although there are some good ones out there .

See you are associating my beliefs with, as you say "them." "Them" have done a fine job at screwing up what being a Republican is supposed to be. I don't necessarily support "them." Doesn't mean I can't be a Republican.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I also hold some Republican beliefs as well, but the current party does not seem to adhere to any of those ideals. What it's supposed to be and what it is are two VERY different things.

And you can go right ahead and be one, I won't stop you. But I still think it's not in any of our best interests at the moment.

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Interesting. At what point does the separation between what the party is supposed to be and what it is become such that you cannot identify yourself as belonging to that party?

For instance, in an inverse scenario (going back in time), I could no longer belong to a Democratic Party that endorsed segregation.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

My point exactly. In my younger days, I also considered myself to be Republican. I left because of what they became during Reagan/Bush. I have no party affiliation now.

17. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Given the reality of two parties in the US system, I don't find anything the least bit strange about the idea of gay republicans, or pro-life democrats, and so on.

And I think that parties need movements within them that try to steer them in new directions. Some are positive, like the log cabin folks. Some are negaitve, like Christian conservatives. (From my point of view).

Either that or we need to scrap the US political system and go parliamentary. Then I'm sure iGary (and others) can get behind a "socially liberal/fiscally conservative" party, or whatever it is about republican beliefs he likes without those parts he probably dislikes.

18. iGary Guest

iGary

Doesn't mean I can't call and bitch when my rep does something stupid, or write letters reminding a lot of Republican politicians what they are supposed to support. I'd rather not give up just because things are messed up, and believe me, I am not delusional; things are messed up.

I prefer to keep trying to change things for the better. I may give up and fail one day, but for now, I try to push for change. :eek:

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I think we all like certain Republican values: emphasis on personal responsibility, individual freedom, states rights and so forth. But does anyone see this happening with the current party? I don't. They've been perfect illustrations of the exact opposite.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What exactly makes you think that a parliamentary system would produce a more acceptable range of dogma?

21. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I'm not sure that I like an "emphasis" on those values. I think that social responsibility and collective rights can be great things and that states' rights are often just selfish regionalism that makes us all worse off.

22. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Given a choice between throwing oreos or raising money at clubs that restrict membership on the basis of race, I'll take the admittedly tacky tactic of tossing cookies. It sure represents the feeling I get when dealing with the upfront racists in such "elite" clubs. If Lt. Gov. Steele objects to the name calling and guerilla theatre tactics, then perhaps he should stand up the racists among his so-called "friends."

23. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Well, I mean a system that has a parliament with a low threshold for proportional representation by party list, and no single-member districts (or even some combination). I don't know whether this would produce anything "acceptable", but it would produce a wider range.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm...I see your point. However, I find it funny when Oregon passes an assisted suicide law and Republicans in the Fed are the first to go after them. States rights mean nothing to them when it doesn't fit their agenda.

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Is anyone here defending the Dems deplorable behavior? I don't see that. We critize them all the time for things they do (or, most of the time, what they don't do). People seem to think this board is all liberal, but it's just that the Republicans (well, neocons) are the ones in power right now making most of the mistakes. And worse, trying to shift the blame (or just make stuff up). What I see here are both parties doing very stupid things, and I think most of us would agree. 2 wrongs do not a right make (though, if a group of African Americans is protesting one of their own, I don't see how that is racist... just stupid).

Oh, and I would be a Republican if only they would.