MAs memory issues!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xfsketch, Dec 14, 2006.

1. xfsketch macrumors newbie

Hi all I am new to this forum. I recently bought a G4 digital audio mac that originally had (500mhz processor, 389 mb ram= a 250mb & a 133mb chips, and a 40gb HD, also a 32 mb raedon AGP graphics card & a dvd drive.) I spent some $ on it and upgrade it to: (1.4 ghz sonnet processor, added a 250 mb ram chip making it 645mb of ram. and a dvdrw drive replaced the stock dvdr)

Heres my problem.... my computer is reading all the memory in the about this mac pane. But it is crashing often on games and copies files alot slower than my iMac which only has 256mb ram. I tried using just one 256 chip by itself and starting the computer up and it runs fine. I also tried puting the 256 chip in the other two slots by itself to make sure the memory ports work properly. When I run just the 256 that was in it when it was purchased and the 133 also it runs fine but still downloads files super slow. I ran a program called "remember" and its log says test failed. Does anyone Have any suggestions or can explain to me how to make sure the new 256 chip I got from best buy by the way is the right one? I checked online b4 I bought the memory and it meets all the specs per the package. (PC133, all the pins line up, and its the same voltage). I just dont think a computer with a good amount of ram and a descent processor would crash so often and copy files so slow. Im running OSX tiger 10.4.6 I keep getting a KERNEL error when it crashes. Can anyone help me figure out how to make my computer scream like it should?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Rember says its bad -- why would you continue?
    Take it back.

Also, it sounds like you have a mismatch between the existing RAM and the new RAM. This is more likely to happen when you have generic PC133 RAM than when you are using PC100 RAM from a Mac-aware company.

In addition, the Sonnet accelerator requires RAM of a certain response time, different from the Mac G4's spec. If your accelerator is a Sonnet, I would suggest calling Sonnet and getting from them the parameters of the RAM they will support in that machine with their board.

3. xfsketch thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx for the info, I already thought the ram was good I bought and threw the packaging away. I didnt run the remember test till I found out I was having probs. with the mem. I will prolly just end up selling all my existing memory on ebay and contact sonnet about what type of ram to use like you suggested. I would like to get 1gb of ram in two sticks as recommended. Thank you fro your help. one more question, do you think zapping/reseting my PRAM will do anything to make it work better or am I doomed until I save $150 for new memory?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Except the one you know is defective, right?

Packaging or not, it should at least have the manufacturer's warranty you can get it replaced.

Holy#%#% where are you located? There is no way that 2 x 256 Mb RAM modules should be anywhere near $150.

5. xfsketch thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL I was just exagerating on the cost. I called sonnet and they said that none of their processor upgrades require memory that is any different from a mac g4s normal specs. He said to maybe try reseting the cache by deleting all its contents and letting it rebuild them on restart.