mass backup issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by petercw2, Aug 23, 2004.

1. petercw2 macrumors member

After a hard drive crash that almost cost me all of my data because I failed to BACKUP my stuff, I learned my lesson.

So, I bought a 160gig LaCie and am using Backup2.2

My problem is that when I go to backup pnto the drive I get errors that particualr files cannot be backed up because I dont have "permission" or "access" to that file. I can't figure out what makes one file accessable or not...

any thoughts? Is there a better backing up program?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

For the most part, if you don't have permission to see the file, you don't need to back it up. It is likely a system file which isn't personalized for you.

You can always clone your drive, which will copy an image of it onto a drive as big as or bigger than it, or log on as root to backup all files. However, given your current level of understanding of file permissions - no insult intended (it's the same as most people's) - I highly recommend against you using root to do anything.

You can, of course, click on a file or folder, get info (⌘-I), and see or change permissions right there.

3. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

The system determines whether or not you have permissions to move a particular file. Even if you're the Admin, there might be files you can't move (without using the "sudo" override command in Terminal). This can be annoying, but it's done to be sure you don't delete key system files.

My guess is that you've set it up to just back up the entire contents of your hard drive. This means it's trying to copy system files that you're not supposed to move. There's no reason to back up everything on your drive, only things that are unique to you as a user (preference files, documents, things in your Home directory, et cetera).

Either set Backup to only back up files specific to you, or back up your files manually.

4. petercw2 thread starter macrumors member

None taken, because I dont claim any real serious knowledge -hence why I am here asking.

what I do know is that the files it refuses me are word docs, icons and other silly things that do not have any "locks" or permissions on them.

I am not really interested in making a clone, but I am interested in backing up my "home" folder because that houses everything that I would want to keep in case my drive were to ever crash out again.

Again, I just don't get why I wouldn't have access to my "Justice League" icons or a marketing document that I produced two months ago.

5. petercw2 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, yes, I was setting it to backup my "home folder". So then maybe the better question for those in the know -

What would you backup on a weekly (or "X" basis) so that if you had to install a new HD, you could recover your data and replicate your previous desktoip, settings and data?

6. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

That's odd.
    As jsw mentioned, try checking/changing the permissions with Get Info.
    That said, it's not that odd. I couldn't delete a copy of AppleWorks for a while because parts of it were locked for some reason. It happens.

7. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

(Sorry for the double post, I didn't see your reply)
    I make a habit of backing up my documents every few weeks. I do a bigger back up less frequently.

What you should focus on backing up are:
    1. Documents (obviously ;))
    2. Preference files (these contain your settings in most applications, most can be found in your Home Directory's Library and some are in your HD's Library)
    3. Multimedia (Pics, Movies, Music, et cetera). Be sure to include things like the XML file in your iTunes folder, so you don't lose your playlist settings.

8. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

You might also try repairing permissions.
    Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility
    Click on your Hard drive and click Repair Permissions.

Lee Tom

9. petercw2 thread starter macrumors member

OK really frustrated. I have fixed permissions, checked to make sure that files are not locked in any way - and I still am having bog problems getting BACKUP to take certain files.. These are just Word or other document files that I created.. not system files.

Is it a function of the Backup software?