Mass Dodo Graveyard Found

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4556928.stm

Everyone knows about the Dodo - yet I was floored to read that there aren't any complete skeletons of the Dodo - the last one having been destroyed in a fire.

I'm wonder if they'll find enough DNA to clone new dodos? Have they done it yet with the mammoth or australian tiger?

D

2. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Very interesting. Wasn't it about 5 years ago when they discovered the preserved mammoth? Guess I'll google it.

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Dodo birds deserved to be extinct. They're not the brightest animals.

Didn't some report say 1,000 species become extinct every day? What makes the dodo bird so special?

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

They sure do now. :D

[​IMG]

But on topic, it seems extraordinary that they hadn't discovered more bones until now. Maybe there wasn't an imperative to do the kind of exploration necessary to find specimens like these.

According to Wikipedia — which doesn't have this recent news up there yet — it's a member of the pigeon family and doesn't taste very nice.

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Whoa, did someone stay up too late last night?

When we start deciding what lives and what dies, or not caring as such, then we're playing God. Homo Sapiens have destroyed enough in the world, including some of each other.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't get your point at all. I sorta get Lacero's though.

All I know is that I have never had the chance to eat or hunt a Dodo, and damnit, the opportunity to do so would be nice. Hope they clone them.

7. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Major misconception there - its not about being stupid :rolleyes:

The dodos evolved on an island with no natural predators - so when westerners showed up with guns, they were easy pickings and eventually became extinct.

And what's so special? They were the first well known and widely known animal to go extinct - it showed humans for the first time that we could radically change the world in ways that hadn't been thought of before. A lot of it has to do with religion of the time, but imagine at a time of Darwinism and the ability of man to destroy a whole species. Quite scary and its only going to get worse, but the dodo is effectively the poster child for all those 1000s of species that have gone since and will in the future.

D

8. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

exactly...

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

poor dodos....thats very interesting read indeed.....ummm how did they know the bird was stupid or slow?

Bless

11. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I believe a lot of Dodos also fell prey to dogs brought into their habitat. And as Blue mentions they weren't that tasty (very fatty, greasy flesh, apparently), so there was no need to keep them around for food. If they hadn't bothered evolving into a tasty meal, there's no point us having them around, right? :p

12. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

you know if we clone them theyll just die again. Anyone who has seen ice age knows that Do Dos wernt meant to live :)

On the upside squirels can live in ice cubes.

you know the first time i saw that movie I found a squirel frozen in an ice cupe in my back yard. I swear im not kidding. It fell into an old trash can filled with water, the water forze and walla. Squirel Sikle.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i must say for anyone interested the Wikipedia Article was a good read for background info. i went and checked it out after reading the news.

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

off topic: i like the song dave matthews sing about the bird....well not about the bird but is called dodo.

Bless

15. hmmfe macrumors regular

I didn't know John Wayne, Roy Rogers, et al killed the Dodos? Also, guns were totally irrelevant since the bird was fat, slow, and flightless. A stone or stick would have been as effective as anything. But, it was the animals brought with the Portugese and Dutch that was the direct cause of the extinction.

I think Lacero's point is a good one. The Dodo was an overspecialized species doomed to extinction as soon as a predator came along. It just happened that the predator(s) in question hitched a ride on our boats. Same thing happened in Polynesia and Australia (and North/South America, Europe, Asia, Africa....). The story is not unique or special. It just is. A species became extinct because it lost it's ability to compete and survive. When those traits became necessary (as will always be the case), the Dodo was doomed.

I think the story of Hawaii's bird extinctions is much more special and interesting.

16. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

There's a big difference between natural extinction and human related extinction. The panda is definitely a candidate for natural extinction and there are many species in the rainforests whose reproductive cycles are so narrowly defined that any small disturbance would kill them off.

It's sad to see so many large land mammals on the verge.

17. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Hilarious, stupid, and most likely true.

So would the opposite of the dodo be the puggle? They shouldn't exist, but we created them. And they're going to survive because we're going to perpetuate their survival. Even if they try to die, we'll force them to survive.

Probably because they're cuter than the dodo. Maybe less greasy.

18. hmmfe macrumors regular

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. In this case, there is not much difference at all.

If a species becomes extinct because of human predation, that to me is as natural as it gets. Extinction caused by willful extermination, indiscriminate habitat destruction, or unintentional actions (DDT usage for instance) is in a different category. If forced, I still call it natural but I would recognize the distinction.

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Much has been made of extinction and rightly so but an excellent book about the proliferation of species in relation to man is "The Botany of Desire" by Michael Pollan.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/103-6890377-1841459?url=index%3Dstripbooks%3Arelevance-above&field-keywords=the+botany+of+desire&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

The book follows 4 species and their relationship to man: the tulip, marijuana, the apple and the potato.

It's a fascinating read and I highly recommend it. The potato chapters are mostly about genetically modified food and it made me rethink some aspects of genetic modification.

The chapters on marijuana are fascinating because the majority of marijuana hybridization has occurred as a direct result of Reagan's war on drugs.

Most apples sold in stores are not a result of breeding efforts but chance hybrids and the apple's popularity in the US is a direct result of John Chapman aka Johnny Appleseed.

The tulip is a fascinating study on the results of overbreeding. Tulips that are multi colored owe this characteristic to a virus, because of this virus, tulip farmers are only able to raise tulips once every five years in the same field.

20. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Just because a bird is fat, flightless, and slow (not mentally) that does not give mankind to ride it. Raptors were also flightless birds, however they were smart and had claws to match.

What if mankind found itself in the position as the Dodo, would you be so inclined to have the same opinion. :rolleyes:

Humanity has almost stripped the oceans, and the wildlife around the world. All in the name of greed and gluttony. :(

21. hmmfe macrumors regular

I read a similar book back in college, looks like an interesting read. Thanks for the recommendation.

22. hmmfe macrumors regular

I assume you meant "right to kill it"...?

Actually, yes it does. Food is food and if you spend less energy catching it - so much the better.

I would say, it is not very smart to willfully extinct an entire species.

23. maya macrumors 68040

maya

So with that logic, I hear quite a far bit of the American, British, and Canadian population is overweight. So according to they own diet and gluttony they should just forget about doctors and scientists helping them to find a reason why and try to cure they gluttony. No wonder they pharmaceuticals make a crazy load of $$$ along with diet companies. :rolleyes:

And most of this is after educating the population that eating without exercise it a negative thing to ones health, yet they do it regardless. I say they deserve what they placed upon themselves. :rolleyes:

24. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Human Beings are well along the road of making themselves extinct,now that is stupid if you want stupid.

25. hmmfe macrumors regular

Actually, my argument is more like this...

Let's say there is a newly evolved species of bear that has developed a taste for humans (Canadian, British, American, Tibetans, whatever). Now these humans are fat and slow. The bears, being what they are, chase humans and catch the slow ones and eat them. In my view the bears have the right to catch and eat slow fat people. And, the slow fat people have the right to buy guns and kill the bears.

I am not sure where you are going with the whole pharmaceutical company thing...