Mass e-mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ja Di ksw, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Hello everyone,
    I need to send out a mass e-mail to people and have the addresses be confidential. In the past I've done this by putting the e-mails in a group in my address book, and sending the e-mail out to that group. No one could see individual addresses, and no one could reply to anyone except me, it works perfectly.
    However, the e-mails I want to use now are in an excel file and there are over 500 of them. Is there a way to get them into a group in my address book (or do something else so they can't be seen) without having to manually input over 500 addresses?
    Thank you

2. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

The way I've always accomplished that before was to send the e-mail from myself to myself and then copy and past the list from excel into the BCC line.

3. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

But that doesn't keep the e-mail addresses hidden from the recipients...

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

If, as suggested, you use the BCC: function (Blind Carbon Copy), then the user will only see their name, not anyone else's.

It's interesting that we still use the "carbon copy" verbiage on e-mail... :p

5. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

There's the difference between CC (Carbon Copy) and BCC (Blind Carbon Copy) The first, everyone can see the list addresses, the latter, just who is in the "TO" line, and I generally put myself in that line.

... Carbon Copy -- antiquated term, isn't it?

//edit: err, yeah, what emw said!