Mass font corruption

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Andy G, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Andy G macrumors member

I have recently upgraded to Tiger on my 15" Titanium Powerbook, and have also bought Office 2004.

When trying to install Office, on launching Word or Powerpoint, I get many, many error messages saying I have corrupt fonts - so far there must be close to 100, and the messages keep coming. I decided to abandon the install, but need a solution . . .

Any ideas?

Which font location do I need to remove the fonts from?

Is there a built-in utility which will check font corruption and do this automatically, or repair them (if it is possible?)

Thanks,

Andy G

2. Andy G thread starter macrumors member

Update . . .

The first fonts which it says are corrupt all start with B, such as

"The font BI Sabon Bold is corrupt and should be removed"

These messages go on through the fonts, untill the beachball of death appears and I have to force-quit Word . .

Andy ideas how to deal with this?

Thanks,

Andy

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You have answered your own question: Do a search for the BI Sabon and temporarily remove all of the non-Apple fonts from that folder. The BI in the name indicates that it is a screen font for an old Postscript font.

If I would guess, this would be old fonts that have ridden along with you since System 9 or earlier. They are probably in the System Folder: Fonts
    They could also be in System: Library: Fonts, or in Library: Fonts, or in {username}: Library: Fonts

Goo to Apple.com: Support and search for Knowledge base articles on fonts; one is #301332

4. Andy G thread starter macrumors member

I can't figure this out - when I search, using Spotlight, I get no fonts listing with the names Office is bringing up. I have looked in all the font folders and still nothing with these names, or at least these prefixes.

Here is another example:
    "The font BO Univers 65 BoldOblique is corrupt and should be removed"

It seems that there are lots of these corrupt font messages - as mentioned previously, more than 50, and I still have not got to the end.

Any more ideas out there - I'm getting desparate and frustrated!

Thanks,

Andy

5. Andy G thread starter macrumors member

OK, so if I open Fontbook, select all and then swith off every font, then Powerpoint finally opens - obviously, I don't want all my fonts switched off (or do I?)

Does this provide any more clues?

How do I get back to a normal state of Word / Powerpoint functioning, and having a reasonable amount of fonts open?

Andy

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Not apparent from your posts:

Have you tried:

a) Repairing permissions and all the other wonder drugs...?

b) Run the Font Book.app and asked that to validate fonts and files and/or disabled (turned off) all fonts starting with B...?

Edit: He-he... I got to start refreshing threads that's been open in a tab for a while,before I answer... :p