Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nighteater537

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2006
Ok here is my back story, i had a 250 gb hard it Died, the replacement will be here tommorow.
so i had no place to back up my data, except for idisk, which can only be accessed through a mac. HOWEVER my Macs hard drive dies, it is not even detectable, my mac is out of commision for 3 days, o yea, i have an essay on it, that i have toi rrewrite tonight, also i have exams next week........
Now i also backed everything up on this 10gb hard drive inside an a-power enclousre, however my computer refuses to boot form it. anyone know why?
finnaly has anyone else died like mine? i just finnished scanning everything and all reports were ok, (i had to run hard drive report twice cause my mom closed the lid), and then i opened it at school, it was at the login screen, it goes black, with spinning beach ball, then it is dead
niow i brought it to my local mac store (30 minutes away when u go 90 on 1 95) andf the guy looks at it and runs some programs, nothing special, tries some programs and says the drive is dead(still under warrenty) so i get a replacement, but that is still days away and i lose all my apps and software i have aquired....and you what the funny thing is Tommorow i would be getting a brand new 250 gb hard drive which i was going to partion it 4 times (75, 75,50,50) and have one partion a perfect clone of my current internal drive and the other 3 used for storage. So yea i am pissed anyone that can help please post asap, also my attahed files are the logs i have
Ok my questions are. Anyway to fix the drive? i heatrd some thing about zpram and fysc or something.
Why wont my computer boot from the external hard drive?
3. why am i haunted by a cyber ghost?

Nighteater537

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2006
15 views and not one person offering help? plz, also anyone know anthing on the histroy of Quantum Mechanical Models please post here

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Just trying to read that thing is giving me seizures. Edit that post, and type a shorter, cleaner question.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
i'm sorry as much as i'd like to help, i'm having a really hard time understanding what you mean.

However...
1. it's fsck and zapping the pram.
2. you need to have an OS installed on that hard drive in order for your computer to boot from it. cloning doesn't always guarantee it will.

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
Wow, tough read.

If you want a bootable backup you need something like Carbon Copy Cloner and a firewire external. You might want to test you backup next time right after making it, that's what I did.

To access the files on the bad drive you might try putting it in an external enclosure and use another computer to try an get at you data?

Can't you borrow a mac to access idisk?

Oh well, good luck.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
iTwitch said:
Can't you borrow a mac to access idisk?
Errmmmmm I'm pretty sure iDisk uses WebDAV or something along the likes that you can use a ftp client (transmit can do it) or any web browser, or the Windows software Apple provides for iDisk to access it...

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
1 - You can access iDisk from a PC running XP or 2000 - http://www.mac.com/1/learningcenter/Modules/dmStoringFiles_t3.html
2 - You can only boot of an External Firewire drive; you could, if you have the HDD Space, install the OS on the External, provided you have 1.5GB Avail, and get your data
3 - You can access HFS partitions with Windows, with a 3rd party piece of software.
4 - FSCK is a way to repair your hard drive if it has errors, otherwise, if its shot (power or otherwise) fsck won't do anything.
5 - There are like recovery solutions out there where you send in your hdd and they recover the data. Costs can be a lot though sometimes, now a days its like $99 for a whole hard drive; some companies charged like $10 per MB which if you had 250GB that'd be $2,560,000.00 but I think the prices on those have dramatically fell. It used to be quite a bit.

Nighteater537

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2006
semaja2 said:
remember you can boot macosx from usb drives
ok thatnks for the input, i tried booting form an edrive i made with tech toool, and the screen goes gray then nothing for a long time,

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
slooksterPSV said:
Actually you can't, OS 9.2.2 or less, yes, OS X, nope. You can only boot OS X off of a firewire drive.
Actually, not that it matters in this case, but I'm pretty sure the Intel Macs can boot off of USB.

Nighteater537

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2006
slooksterPSV said:
Intel is a different story... anyone have an Intel Mac? Wanna try it out?
it has its own power sopruce and fuire wire, why wont it boot, also can u copym all thwe data from a copted drive on to a new drive that has a partition the same size, ( so if u use out side asoftware, u may somehow recover data)?

Nighteater537

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2006
Nighteater537 said:
it has its own power sopruce and fuire wire, why wont it boot, also can u copym all thwe data from a copted drive on to a new drive that has a partition the same size, ( so if u use out side asoftware, u may somehow recover data)?
bump

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
Nighteater537 said:

I'm not the greatest writer, but damn, you need to slow down a bit. So you've got a firewire drive with it's own power supply. Hardware wise I'd say your in good shape. How did you make the backup?

Nighteater537

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2006
iTwitch said:
I'm not the greatest writer, but damn, you need to slow down a bit. So you've got a firewire drive with it's own power supply. Hardware wise I'd say your in good shape. How did you make the backup?
tehctool.

Nighteater537

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2006
Nighteater537 said:
tehctool.
My computer is out for BLOOD!!
it struck aghain this time to the replacement dirve, finally the replacement drive form western digtial has arrived, i plaed it in my encloure, anmd bam it is messed p, disk utility thinks it is 8 terabytes!!! i am in the apple store waiting for my appointment to have m y computer looked at and now i have fear hat y WHOLE computer is messed up, it also started to detect the internal hard drive at this point, but that too is in terabytes,,,,,what in gods nsame is going on????

Nighteater537

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2006
Nighteater537 said:
My computer is out for BLOOD!!
it struck aghain this time to the replacement dirve, finally the replacement drive form western digtial has arrived, i plaed it in my encloure, anmd bam it is messed p, disk utility thinks it is 8 terabytes!!! i am in the apple store waiting for my appointment to have m y computer looked at and now i have fear hat y WHOLE computer is messed up, it also started to detect the internal hard drive at this point, but that too is in terabytes,,,,,what in gods nsame is going on????
ok i am getting a new hard drive, but whop thinks there is something else wrong with my computer?

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Nighteater537 said:
ok i am getting a new hard drive, but whop thinks there is something else wrong with my computer?
Think? Heck I know there is; something with the logic board is what I'm guessing. Logic board, CPU, or something along those lines. Something hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.