Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
A).. out of spite... Wow. That's certainly a reach...

B). Price?. In the UK, most of the flagship phones are very similar prices....

Have you ever considered CHOICE as an option for folks purchases...?..

A) Not a reach. Pathetic of folks...yes. Have I seen it happen? Yes. I know some who have specifically not bought an iPhone because it was from Apple. Yes, I told them how close minded a decision it was.

B) Not here in Canada. The base model of the 5s is comparable to the HTC, but once you want an iPhone with more space, the cost goes up...more than doubling at the 64 GB mark.

Yes...choice is a possibility, but I still believe the other factors come into play, for most folks, than choice.

Of course, this is all here nor there as it's just opinions :)

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Multitask as well as should be possible, have multiple tabs open on the internet without having to load them every time I change a tab, not have to wait 60 seconds every time I switch to a game after replying to a text, etc etc

Sigh. According to the analyst Kuo, Apple is going to sport the 1GB again... for the 3rd ****** year...

ghost of jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014
No... Bigger screen needs more pixels to keep the same PPI.

Oh yes it is... Original statement was that a higher ppi is not needed, but better to go with full.HD instead.. 1080p on on 4in screen is probs over 500ppi... So it is a higher ppi... ...rolls eyes.......

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Oh yes it is... Original statement was that a higher ppi is not needed, but better to go with full.HD instead.. 1080p on on 4in screen is probs over 500ppi... So it is a higher ppi... ...rolls eyes.......

Well the next iPhone apparently isn't 4 inches. So depending on how big they make it in order to keep the same PPI they may go over 1080p.

unibodydesign

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2014
Sigh. According to the analyst Kuo, Apple is going to sport the 1GB again... for the 3rd ****** year...

According to an absence of concrete specifications, conspicuous by that same absence, anything is possible, but nothing is worth wasting thoughts and dashing hopes upon.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Meanwhile, Sammy execs are crying themselves to sleep tonight. 2 larger -screened iPhones will cut Sammy's premium smartphone sales by at least 30%

Going to take alot more than a bigger screen for me to return to the iphone. SD card, removeable battery, widgets, being able to make your home screen look like you want it are big features to android users. I expect the iphone 6 to be a great device but I also expect the note 4 to be even better too. The S pen features certainly for me are very important and even a 5’5 iphone as tempting as it is the features won’t match what the note line covers for my needs and alot of people who do have the note.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Clues for Iphone 6 from the Moto X

Physics is physics. Apple can't give us a bigger screen with fantastic resolution and keep a small form size, ala the Moto X. The battery capacity just isn't there yet. I don't care if the software turns the phone off when we blink, it just won't save enough juice. So when we see the screen resolution, don't jump off a cliff. The resolution will be good enough with perfectly balanced colors. Samsung will definitely use the difference in resolution as a selling point, but hard core Apple fans will buy the Iphone 6 in record numbers.

ghost of jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014
. Samsung will definitely use the difference in resolution as a selling point, but hard core Apple fans will buy the Iphone 6 in record numbers.

U mean like how retina display "ppi figures simply made up" are used as a selling point...
U can see pixels on the ip5s, so how is that retina quality?..

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I just hope if it is indeed true that there will be a 4.7 and a 5.7 inch iPhone, that both devices are identical spec and feature wise, and the only difference between the two would be the screen size. Basically like what the iPad Mini with Retina display and the iPad Air are.

5.7 for me would be too big, pretty much a phablet, whereas a 4.7 would be the sweet spot for been easy to handle and stuff in your pocket and having a good sized screen. Having handled a 5 inch plus smartphone, I felt like I was going to drop it, due to my hand been outstretched to hold it, this is not want I want to feel when using a smartphone.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I recently played with an LG with a 5.2" screen and that thing felt perfect. It had very minimal bezels and was wonderful to use. Put iOS on it and I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I'm really hoping for a 5+" screen this fall.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I think it would be better if they announced both sizes and then released one later because it would be a ton of boo-hoos if people bought one model which they thought was the only and then another drops later. That would be bad business kinda like how samsung just drops hella galaxy whatevers and doesn't even release all color ways at one time on all carriers. How long did it take to see a black s3? If there was one in USA.

eyephonesix

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2014
Listen okay, Apple won't be bringing out a 5.5" iPhone - to think they will is plain daydreaming and self-delusion.

No. Way.

Let the Android mfrs make all the skateboards they want - if you think Apple would do this, you don't know Apple very well; if 5.5-6" is too big to be held comfortably on other brands, what makes you think Apple's 5.5" is suddenly, magically going to be easy to hold? They're the best, but they cannot change physics.

Wake up folks, snap out of it - Apple aren't looking at what we want, they design what THEY want to design, and they'll do it how they want, and take as long as they take - if it seems idiotic and unwieldy to have a 5.5" any-brand phone, then don't you think Apple know that? Designers don't live in a vacuum - they're not morons - hardware designers do repeated ergonomics tests, prototype iterations and refinements, usability studies and on and on... Apple HAVE bigger iPhones to hold and to actually feel and try - we don't - they KNOW what is coming, what has worked best and what is fit in form and function, and all WE have to go on is some dreamed-up JPEG that someone "leaked", some render based on (supposed) "leaked blueprints" - we have NOTHING physical to base assumptions on apart from the models released to date, and other mfrs models... but we DO NOT have Apple's prototypes, insight and PHYSICAL HANDS-ON TIME WITH *REAL*, WORKING PROTOTYPES.

It's all just guess work, and most of it seriously underestimates Apple's proven capabilities in designing things that you, repeatedly, didn't see coming, year on year.

Last edited:

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
if 5.5-6" is too big to be held comfortably on other brands, what makes you think Apple's 5.5" is suddenly, magically going to be easy to hold?

Well, there's your problem. Nothing uncomfortable about holding a 5,5-6" slate. If anything, it is way more comfortable that holding the current 8 & 10" slates that Apple already produces.

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Listen okay, Apple won't be bringing out a 5.5" iPhone - to think they will is plain daydreaming and self-delusion.

No. Way.
Time will tell.

Let the Android mfrs make all the skateboards they want - if you think Apple would do this, you don't know Apple very well; if 5.5-6" is too big to be held comfortably on other brands, what makes you think Apple's 5.5" is suddenly, magically going to be easy to hold? They're the best, but they cannot change physics.
Probably. For the most devoted fans, even the iPad mini was "magical" and "innovative". I bet they'll chew a phablet-sized iPhone with open eyes.

Wake up folks, snap out of it - Apple aren't looking at what we want, they design what THEY want to design, and they'll do it how they want, and take as long as they take - if it seems idiotic and unwieldy to have a 5.5" any-brand phone, then don't you think Apple know that?
So how I can hold my 5.5 inch Note 2 comfortably?

Designers don't live in a vacuum - they're not morons - hardware designers do repeated ergonomics tests, prototype iterations and refinements, usability studies and on and on... Apple HAVE bigger iPhones to hold and to actually feel and try - we don't - they KNOW what is coming, what has worked best and what is fit in form and function, and all WE have to go on is some dreamed-up JPEG that someone "leaked", some render based on (supposed) "leaked blueprints" - we have NOTHING physical to base assumptions on apart from the models released to date, and other mfrs models... but we DO NOT have Apple's prototypes, insight and PHYSICAL HANDS-ON TIME WITH *REAL*, WORKING PROTOTYPES.
Almost every single Apple rumor in the last few years has been true.

It's all just guess work, and most of it seriously underestimates Apple's proven capabilities in designing things that you, repeatedly, didn't see coming, year on year.
Yet somehow most of WWDC 2013 was predictable.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
I am really thinking about upgrading from my iPhone 4 now. I want to wait for the 6, but I just don't think I will be able to hold out. I really just want 64GB, but if there was any hint of a 128GB in the next iPhone, I would hold out. September is so far away and I am about completely out of space on my 4.

cracksoup

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2014
I'd be interested in a 5,5 inch iPhone. I've had the Note 3 for a couple of months and have gotten a little tired of drawbacks that I've never had to encounter on my iPhone. 5,5 inches could be perfect for gaming and doing some more serious work in the phone. Only thing I'd really miss is the S pen which works beautifully with the Galaxy phone.. However, I can't deal with the unoptimized apps that are populating the whole play store.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Too bad Apple couldn't bring both sizes to market at the same time. We may never know the real reason, other than Apples tendency to do anything to draw attention to themselves. By purposely fabricating some "reason" they can drag it out into two launches, giving them some extra attention like the errant kid in second grade. LOL

----------

Almost every single Apple rumor in the last few years has been true.

Yet somehow most of WWDC 2013 was predictable.

WWDC 2014 will be similarly predictable, the way Apple has changed, assures that.

dgroxu2

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2014
Australia
Well the next iPhone apparently isn't 4 inches. So depending on how big they make it in order to keep the same PPI they may go over 1080p.

Dude, you know that phones already over 5 inches with 1080p screens have waaaayyy higher ppi than a 4 inch 720p retina iPhone, even the 5.7 inch galaxy note 3 which has a 1080p screen has 386ppi vs the 326 on the 4 inch iPhone 5s.
Thus there is no need to go over 1080p unless they will oversample the screen and have like 4 pixels working as one like on the retina macbook pros

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.