Mass shooting in the U.S. not on the rise?!!?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Jun 13, 2014.

1. macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Wait... WHAT???

With the population increase and the increase in the amount of firearms in cirulation how can mass shooting NOT be going up?

2. macrumors 601

The Doctor11

Shh... That's a secret. The media wants you to think the there are more shooting then there are to get you to watch the tv.
    That's my guess.

3. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Crime is down overall.

One would expect mass shootings to follow that trend.

Comparing the U.S. present vs. the U.S. past is a relatively low bar.

But progress is progress.

4. macrumors regular

jkcerda

5. macrumors 603

thekev

I preferred the one that brought zombies into the discussion.

6. macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Wasn't it posted in the Isla Vista thread that a mass shooting occurs in the US give or take every 24 hours?

7. macrumors regular

jkcerda

not enough people decided to play on that one :eek:

8. macrumors 68030

.Andy

Given the OP linked to a story in the media your conspiracy theory is looking pretty flimsy.

Here is a more reliable source of statistics thank talking heads if you want to compare historical trends. http://library.stanford.edu/projects/mass-shootings-america

9. macrumors 603

What, is a mass shooting a day not enough for the media to talk about it?

10. macrumors 601

The Doctor11

It is. I just feel media likes to make things seem diffrent then they are.

11. macrumors 6502

Why, because it fails to support the "guns kill people" liberal agenda?

Obstructing people's 2nd amendment rights under the false pretense of preventing violence is no different from attempting to battle the obesity epidemic by banning spoons.

12. macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I love how conservatives think adding "agenda" after every word magically makes things sound unfavorable. Gay agenda, liberal agenda, etc etc. Every time I hear "boohoo liberal agenda" I picture this....

PS Any victories against that "gay agenda" recently??:p

Attached Files:

13. macrumors 68000

iBlazed

And become a kochsucker? No thanks.

14. macrumors 603

Technarchy

Now that's just in poor taste.

[​IMG]

But then again, seeing the leadership that comes out of NJ, I can understand why one would envy Koch.

15. macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Is this the part where I'm supposed to feel bad? Oops.

NJ is doing pretty well in most aspects, and we're one of the wealthiest states in the nation. "Envy" isn't quite the word I would use when talking about Koch.

16. macrumors 6502

Ah, a good old fashioned liberal circle jerk. Lots of grunting and noise, but no substance. Lets all pat each other on the back and reassure each other, everybody gets a trophy, yay!

17. macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Why are your posts always so homoerotic? Can you stop promoting the gay agenda? Keep your lifestyle choices to yourself....

18. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yep, media being alarmist. News at 11.

That said I am glad mass shootings aren't on the rise.

19. macrumors 68040

Arran

It's odd, isn't it?

That and the signature that suggests republican voters have personal hygiene problems. All very odd.

20. macrumors 68000

steve knight

mass shooting have staid about the same since the 70's school shootings have a huge increase and death by guns are up.

21. macrumors 65816

vrDrew

I think the statistics show something - but they aren't telling the whole story.

The numbers only go back to 1976, which is IMHO significant. At that time very few semi-automatic "assault-type" rifles were in public hands, and most handguns had magazines limited to 6 or 8 rounds, tops.

And I think a longer-term study would definitely show that the mass-casualty (ie. 10 or more) random attack is a relatively recent phenomenon. When ex-Marine Charles Whitman shot and killed fourteen people at the University of Texas in 1966, it was considered an almost unprecedented incident. Police units at the time didn't even have rifles capable of engaging such tactics. Not to suggest a 14-death mass shooting is an everyday occurrence here in the USA these days, but I definitely believe its more common now, than it was in the 1950s and 1960s.

A couple of other significant points: It took someone with military-training (ie. a former Marine) to have the "skills" needed to kill 14 people with the sort of weapons available to Whitman. (He ended up using a half dozen or so assorted weapons, including sawn-off shotguns, an M1 Carbine and a bolt-action hunting rifle that he'd smuggled onto campus using a hand-truck.) Nowadays, a couple of callow spotty-faced teenagers can carry out similar mayhem with relative "ease" - thanks to 30-round magazines for assault rifles and semi-automatic pistols.

The last point is that I'm not sure the statistics mentioned in the OP make a distinction between "mass shootings" that are related to organized crime; and the sort of random, unprovoked attacks on purely "civilian" locations like schools and shopping malls. Its a guess on my part - but I'd imagine we have less "organized crime massacres" these days than we used to.

22. macrumors 603

Technarchy

NJ
    Debt 2009: $56.9 billion
    Projected 2012 Budget Shortfall: $10.5 billion
    GDP 2009: $483 billion
    Debt/GDP Ratio: 11.78%
    Unfunded Pension Liabilities: $34.4 billion (27%)
    Unfunded Health Care & Other Liabilities: $69 billion (100%)

The epitome of white flight states needs a little work.

Ed Koch on the other hand built up a city from this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. macrumors 68000

iBlazed

And this is different from most other states? It doesn't change the fact that we're one of the wealthiest and most densely populated states. Our residents are accustomed to high living standards and good access to healthcare. Do we have issues? Sure, are most residents effected by these issues on a daily basis? Of course not, or else this place would be a ghost town. By the way, what state is it that you're living in now?

And that's supposed to make him a better person? He's still burning in hell for all the evil he's done and that his legacy continues to do.

24. Technarchy, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014

macrumors 603

Technarchy

Mass shooting in the U.S. not on the rise?!!?

And what legacy is that you're referring to? What evil?

25. macrumors 68000

iBlazed

We can start with the hundreds of millions he spent to buy politicians and twist arms to make himself richer and keep poor people poorer and make sure they don't have access to healthcare and all those "privileges" he has. But that's only the beginning of a very long essay that I'm not interested in writing. I'm long finished with college.