Mass vehicle recall hurts Toyota

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Nov 8, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    250,000 of them :eek: though that pales in comparison to the possibility that they might have to recall a further 1 million vehicles :eek: which comes only a month after they had to recall a record 1.41 million vehicles. :eek:

Yet they still manage to top satisfaction and reliablilty surveys??? :eek: :p :p

Rinky Dink Link
  2. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    Unrelated, but I just recently took my 2001 Honda in for an oil change (very religious about this - they are always looking at me like "your oil isn't even dirty") and there was a recall on the combination turn signal/bright light switch. Never got a notice - go figure.
  3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    I love some of the names the Japanese give to their cars, like "Crown Chaser Cresta". Sounds like something a chick would order at a bar...:rolleyes:

Anyway, recalling vehicles is better than pretending their isn't a problem, I suppose.
  4. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

Mar 9, 2005
    38° 12'47.72" N 85° 31'54.63" W
    But just remember that recalls are issued after going through a cost analysis of which would be cheaper. The cost of repair or the cost of payouts in the lawsuits. (At least according to Fight Club, Right?):)
  5. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    Doesn't sound like it's that big of a deal to fix, just some software's like getting a smog check.
  6. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Well, my 2000 Passat has had 4 or 5 recalls. And I've had probably 6 or 7 with my 1994 Voyager.

... maybe it's time to ditch the Voyager and get a nice Prius....
  7. aloofman macrumors 68020

Dec 17, 2002
    I think that most car recalls these days are of the voluntary type, that is it's more about not getting hosed by a few lawsuits that might happen than an overall quality issue. Ever since the GM truck gas tank and firestone tire fiascos, they err on the side of caution. They figure people would rather the carmaker admit to a problem than hide it and deny responsibility like in the old days.
  8. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

Dec 1, 2003
    Scranton, PA
    American Toyota cars look better than their Japanese cars, IMO.
  9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    the company will be alright. this is the company that makes lexus and others...not too concern well at least there trying to save face and recall.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    The Crown had always been their big sedan. It was always up against the Nissan President. I'm surprised that they were foolish with their quality inspection of their vendor's parts. Also, the Hi Ace was their luxury van. It just all seems quite odd. The recall should be quite a boost for Nissan and possibly, Mitsubishi.
  11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
  12. quagmire macrumors 603

Apr 19, 2004
    As usual, you guys brush off a recall from Toyota and then if GM posts a recall even to the same number of vehicles this Toyota recall for a small issue, you would be all jumping over it saying how much GM and Ford sucks. :mad:
  13. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002
    South Dakota, USA
    Well once you become Number 1 in the world all eyes are on you. As Toyota continues to grow into a bigger and bigger corporation they will end up with a lot of the problems GM did because focus changes. Toyota thinks they have the quality issues all whipped, but as production levels get higher corners are cut here and there to make more profit and increase market share. Everyone I know that bought a Toyota recently did because they heard that they will never break down. I have a Ford so I expect a minor issue here and there, no big deal. If I buy a car that people claim will never break down and it does, I would be upset.
  14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    They do, don't they? :p
  15. portent macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2004
    Almost all recalls are "voluntary," and not just for cars. Even when the government gets involved, all they usually have to do is send a letter to the manufacturer to the effect of, "We're seriously concerned that your product has a safety defect. We suggest you take corrective action." It's still "voluntary."

Of course, if the company refuses, then the Feds can get nasty, ban the product and fine the manufacturer. But it almost never goes that far.
  16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    You know, now that you mention it, about 3 years ago, those b.................(snip)..........and man, I've had it with GM and will never buy an American car ever again. From now on, I'm only buying cars from Honda.