Massachusetts court: Gay marriage ban can go on ballot if Legislature approves

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jul 10, 2006.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

They'll stop at nothing. This is beyond scary.

http://my.earthlink.net/article/pol?guid=20060710/44b1d0c0_3421_1334520060710-572558310

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

In its ruling Monday, the high court said the proposed amendment - which would restrict marriage to between one man and one woman - is not a reversal of its earlier ruling legalizing gay marriage, because it would leave intact the marriages of same-sex couples who already had wed.

That pisses me off. It's a ****ing reversal.

Ugh, it'll never end :(.

e

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course not. The fundies won't rest until we're put in concentration camps or "cured". They hate us.

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

No they "love" us and know what's better for us than we do. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Let's go to Canada :).

e

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh Canada! :) Sounds good to me.

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

*packs bags*

but seriously, this is major ********. Homos could marry, now they can't. That's a reversal of a judicial ruling. And the "state's constitution bars any citizen-initiated amendment that seeks to reverse a judicial ruling." :mad:

e

7. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Nothing to see here....

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

And what makes you say that? Do you really think that gay marriage in Massachusetts is safe or do you just not care?

9. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Nothing to see here - in Canada. (kidding)

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Ha! Definitely don't downplay your country. I've been there a few times and I think it's beautiful.

11. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Exactly, don't tell everyone, they'll ALL want to come live here... just come visit and spend lots of money ;)

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

A quick Google search on gay marriage shows that it, and things like immigration and other pet projects of the fundies, are starting to loose steam already. They just aren't polling as high as they used to. People have other, more important things on their minds and just don't care enough about things that don't have anything to do with them. There's still an alarmingly high amount of people who are against it, but a surprising majority that don't want our elected officials wasting their time making new laws against it. Or ruining the Constitution with new Amendments. Just like the flag burning thing.

Not saying everyone is suddenly going to become all tolerant and stuff, but the pendulum is swinging back the other direction. They went too far, now comes the backlash. It's just taking a lot longer than some of us wanted it to. Which is a bit depressing.

13. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I will register to vote just for this one vote in 08 if it comes to that.

And i will make sure i get as many people as possible to vote for gay marriages

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Thank You.

I think the backlash if this were to pass would be stunning. The state of Massachusetts would be flooded with letters from angry homos.

e

15. codo macrumors 6502

Do you have an equivalent to the "civil union" they introduced here in the UK last year? It's basically a marriage in everything but name, wouldn’t want to upset the church elders, would we?

So like, a civil union gives a gay couple all the same legal rights as a straight married couple, its just not performed as a "marriage" service. Do you already have this? And the argument is whether or not gay couples can get it recognised as a religiously binding marriage, or is this argument over just legal rights as a couple?

If its legal thing - Isn’t it part of the American constitution that people can’t be unfairly discriminated etc? How can it just be "over looked" when the government find it convenient? It just doesn’t make sense. Homophobia should have disappeared with slavery.

16. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

oh trust me they will be getting angry letters from me as well

I say as many homosexual people as possible move here by 08 to vote in case it gets that far

17. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Well I just fired off a letter to our lovely attorney General

18. Queso macrumors G4

They don't in the US, because the Religious Right still dogmatically believe that being gay is a "lifestyle choice", that if you have an attraction to someone of the same sex it is Satan testing you, and that every gay person who doesn't spend their life lying to themselves and everyone around them just to fit in should do the decent thing for society and go swing from a tree.

All together now :-

"O say can you see, by the dawn's early light..."

19. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

some states have civil unions but they are ********. They don't give the same rights as marriage gives. They are just a very pitiful form of appeasement here in the states.

e

20. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

You have a lot to learn about the US. Religious nutcases have most of the power here. And yes, the Constitution is overlooked when convenient.

21. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I'm going to Mass. (Boston) Saturday.

If you hear of naked construction workers burning flags....it wasn't me :p

(I'll be the cowboy)

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic