Massachusetts Set to Offer Universal Health Insurance

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 4, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

nyt

good god, i hope something like this is passed in illinois. for you trickle-down fans, i promise that i'll spend the $500 / month i now spend on healthcare premiums on something else.

about the above, the $295/employee/year penalty seems a little lenient, since it's so much cheaper than providing healthcare.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

wow, this looks good. hope it works. and i have to agree on the $295/employee/year penalty being a bit too easy going. but it does give hope.

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I've believed all along that health insurance should be required just as liability insurance is for cars. The article doesn't mention the monthly costs of insurance though, nor give a lot of other details. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out and to see if the overall cost of health care declines. i would think emergency room care costs will plummet.

Yay for Massachusetts!

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

While definitely a step in the right direction, I do have some concerns, which might be eased if I saw the text of the bill or how it pans out in implementation:

1. How/who will be in charge of determining whether someone can "afford" to buy insurance. Also, what price-level will be deemed affordable - will this be on a scale depending on income/subsidies?

2. What type of insurance plans will constitute insured?

3. How will this aid those who are hard to insure? Will there be subsidies for all income-levels depending on costs of plans?

4. How does this aid fixing the underlying costs of insurance? Are insurance companies not being handed a huge gift here - with no necessary need to alter their practices or lower their premiums?

5. Might this in the long-term hurt the chances for alternate models of universal insurance converage (like single-payer), that may enact more substantial and effective reform?

6. Will a $295 penalty per employee really enact any change in the business community to insuring employees?

7. Is this heading healthcare further along the wrong model? If it works and provides services for all, should I care that it might be inefficient or wasteful of taxpayer and personal income?

Don't get me wrong, this is good news - I just have some questions.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Hm. Maybe I'll be moving to MA as CA doesn't seem to be working out so well. Not being able to find a steady job with good insurance is a big reason why. I suspect some employers will flock to MA in droves if this works.