Massive Geo-Magnetic Storm to Hit Earth, 10-24

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by G4scott, Oct 24, 2003.

1. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX

and another link:

Charge your PowerBook Batteries, and have a generator ready, because if this causes power outs (although I doubt it will do much), you'll want that juice to install Panther...
  2. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    It is so funny, all those things happen in North America and Europe but no in Latin America.

Is like the aliens, they are always in North America and Europe as well those signs in the corn fields.

Just lie in Star Trek, there are all kind of aliens there in the future but no Latin people.

Just pointing out a curious cultiral glitch.:rolleyes:
  3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Sorry, space weather is a big deal and it affects the whole planet, not just North America. I think the bias is due to NASA being the space weather station, so we're a little more concerned about our neck of the woods.

If you can see the sun when this thing hits, then you can be affected. And even people on the other side of the planet, if a satellite in orbit gets an overdose of radiation.....

Earth's electromagnetic field protects us from most solar and galactic radiation, but its only so strong. If a big enough push comes at us, it won't be enough to block it. If our closest neighboring star went super nova, chances are we might not survive, the radiation, even at that distance would get past the sun's and earth's electromagnetic fields and sterilize the planet.

Happy thought for the day ;)

interesting link:

also for the current space weather conditions
  4. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

I hope the astronauts at the Space Station are shielded enough for a biggie...
  5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop

Yeah, I've been watching this. I'm going to be in flight when the thick of the magnetic interference hits.

Hope you don't read of any plane crashes tonight...:(
  6. alphaone macrumors 6502

Aug 12, 2003
    From space weather .com:
    IMPACT: A coronal mass ejection (CME) swept past Earth at approximately 1500 UT on Oct. 24th. The impact did not trigger an intense geomagnetic storm (at least not yet) because the interplanetary magnetic field (IMF) near Earth is pointing north--a condition that suppresses geomagnetic activity. Another CME is en route to Earth, due to arrive later today or tomorrow. Geomagnetic storming is possible when that one arrives.
  7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    always an interesting phenomenon.

here's what i want to know. x-rays constitute much of the problem, and hit at the same time as the magnetic waves (correct me if i'm wrong). x-rays travel at the speed of light. scientists were able to get about two day's notice of the event at least, how did they monitor the surface of the sun to know this was coming? are there sensors to read faster than the speed of light?

am i making any sense?

8. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    Of course nothing happened

At list here in Venezuela where we do not have aliens and those kind of things.

I think that the North American culture should be more aware of the tech-freak they are.

In other countries of the world no one gave a damn about the Y2K or Area 51 or the shapes on the corn fields nor electromagnetic storms.

I remember when people was afraid to take their Macs G3 out the states because they were "weapons for terrorist". There are so many things taken out of proportion. But well, that is the idiosyncrasy of a culture.
  9. mac15 macrumors 68040

Dec 29, 2001
    there was a nasty storm in sydney today! it was really bad, rain hail gusty winds. it was scary for a while actually :)
  10. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    There was only one disturbance that I know of here in Boston. Our local radio station 96.9 FM wasn't able to do a planned remote due to technical problems. The host speculated that it might be form the solar storm.
  11. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop

Well, ok. Here's how it works. The sun is loaded with twists in its magnetic field, and some get so twisted, they loop, then snap throwing a large amount of surface material into space - this mass of material used to be called a "Solar Flare" but has since been remonikered "Coronal Mass Ejection" - meaning that material has escape velocity from the Sun.

That material is not composed of light or magnetism itself, but is a huge amount of ionized gas - electrically charged material, no longer plasma as the temperature will fall in the cold of space.

This is why it is predictable and takes two days to reach Earth's orbital path. Once at Earth, these electrically charged particles interact with Earth's magnetic field, and spill over the lines of force like water on a basketball. Much of the ions end up heading to the poles where the magnetic field originates - and we get Aurora Borealis - "Northern Lights", at the collision of those ions with the ionosphere.

As for the the magnetic field itself, such interference with electrically charged material can distort the shape of the magnetic field during the interaction - the worry is what happens at the end, the magnetic field can snap back and such a large flux of that snap acts like a planetwide electromagnetic pulse. And satellites can overload, computers can burn out, etc.
  12. alset macrumors 65816

Nov 9, 2002
    East Bay, CA
    This created a few problems with cell phones for myself and some friends.