Massive Glass Window Panels Being Installed at Apple Campus 2

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 8, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With just 12 months to go until Apple's second "spaceship" campus is scheduled to be completed, construction crews are hard at work on the main ring-shaped building and several auxiliary buildings, including the underground auditorium, a visitor's center, and a set of research and development buildings.

Drone pilot Duncan Sinfield today shared another monthly campus update video with MacRumors, giving us a look at how construction has progressed since December. Late last month and early this month, enough of the main building was completed that the unique, curved glass windows could start going up. In the video, you'll see the first window panels on the building, both at the exterior and the interior of the ring.

Significant progress has been made on the underground auditorium, and the Tantau research and development buildings are taking shape and filling out.

With construction growing closer to completion, work on the landscape may soon begin. Apple's second campus will feature 80 percent green space, a central garden with outdoor dining areas, and more than 300 species of trees, including a variety of fruit trees. Underground structures like parking facilities and the auditorium will be covered with greenery.

When finished, the campus will include the 2.8 million square foot ring-shaped main building, several parking structures, a 100,000 square foot fitness center, a 120,000 square foot auditorium, and a dedicated visitor's center with an observation deck, cafe, and Apple Store.

Article Link: Massive Glass Window Panels Being Installed at Apple Campus 2

2. macintologist macrumors 6502

This is a morbid thought, but what happens if someone (a disgruntled employee, a criminal, etc) throws a brick at the window and smashes it? Does that mean they have to wait months to get a replacement from Germany?

3. twoehr macrumors member

They should've used sapphire. :p

4. stanman64 macrumors 6502

stanman64

5. WhoDaKat macrumors 6502

I'm guessing you'd need a lot more than a brick to break one of those windows.

6. YoitsTmac macrumors member

This could very well be, one of the first buildings (or anything) under construction that...finishes, on time. :0

7. PotatoLeekSoup macrumors regular

1) Good luck to any criminals trying to sneak onto the campus to do so.
    2) Surely, they have contingency planning to replace one. And surely they are awfully thick/resistant to shattering.

8. rictus007 macrumors regular

German engineers will fix that window in 3 hours or less.

9. SlipperySlop Suspended

It will cause an apple stock selloff that will send apple into bankruptcy.

10. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

I hate property taxes being high here, but I bet Apple will hate them even more after that thing is built :eek::D

11. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

12. Attirex macrumors regular

13. iOSFangirl6001 macrumors 6502

iOSFangirl6001

Not that I support property destruction but what about a cinder block, or 2 bricks?:p

Joking aside never thought I'd be 1 of those people that ask "why the **** is this even on MR?"

Should we really advertise the building and building materials involved in an Apple campus given Fandroids , Apple haters and such also use this site?

Besides who cares what the campus is made of unless it's made out of Tacos, Pizza, chocolate or Nutella? lol:p
    (Ok more silliness and sarcasm )

14. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

They had a theft at my local Apple store (iPods). The shop lifters ran out the door and swung it open hard. A gust of wind hit the door and shattered it. 30k and it took months to replace.

15. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

How do you get the construction equipment out from inside the ring? Like... it's an unbroken ring of building that is 50 feet high... it seems like it'll be difficult to get the larger machines out now.

16. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I don't know, but that would be kind of satisfying to watch lol

17. kemal macrumors 6502a

kemal

Can they make round LiPo batteries? I have fears they can.

18. ChrisCW11 macrumors 6502a

Hmm, if someone could only invest some kind of "sky crane" that could hover and hook up to ground equipment to lift them out of a difficult situation.

19. guzhogi macrumors 68020

guzhogi

My school district's thinking about replacing one of our buildings. This would be a great replacement. You think Apple would care to donate the building when it's done?

20. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 6502a

Mac Fly (film)

This is going to be one of the world's most beautiful office buildings.

I detest most office buildings.

21. toph2toast macrumors 6502

Towards the end of the video you can see a bridge that is built between 2 of ring building structures that takes vehicles between the outer ring and the inner area. I'm not familiar enough with the plans to know if that bridge will stay there (I doubt it though). So it will probably be removed towards the end of the process.

22. utyankee macrumors newbie

utyankee

You clearly do not work in construction industry. For the ten years I've been in engineering, at least 75% of projects I have been involved in are finished on schedule or earlier.

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 65816

yaxomoxay

As a stark contrast to Apple's design policy, I don't think that the glass is really thin...

24. anshuvorty macrumors 6502

anshuvorty

This has always intrigued me: what if an employee had a meeting on the opposite side of the circular structure? Does the employee actually have to go to the ground floor, walk to the opposite side and then go to wherever the meeting is located on that side of the building? It doesn't seem like the structure will include bridges that connect one side of the building to the opposite side...

Sorry for my stupid question, if this question has been asked before.

25. magicschoolbus macrumors regular

magicschoolbus

they will hop on their self driving iSegway where it will be sync'ed with their iPhone and they will tap Calanders, next meeting, and it will bring them across campus to that meeting room.