MASSIVE network problems....

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MacAztec, May 3, 2003.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Yo. I am having some major major network problems. I will start my story yesterday, how it all started...

I have been saying that I have wanted to boost my cable modem speed somehow. Well, I got stupid last night and installed some stupid "Cable Speed Booster". It ****ed up my internet settings on my PC, and I couldn't fix it.

Next morning, my dad wakes me up. He says that I ****ed up the network, and he wants to know what I did. I told him exactly. So...

I spend the morning trying to fix the PC. Turns out it messed up other computers on the network. My dads Pismo via airport, and a g4.

The macs were easy to fix. It just changed the local IP, and I changed it back. Problem fixed.

Now for the PC. We tried EVERYTHING to fix it. Reinstalled the LAN card drivers, changed IPs, we even bought a new LAN card.

So, I noticed when I went into my Linksys router settings, it changed the DHCP Start number from .150 to .1

I think that was a problem, and I changed it back. I later reformatted the PC with a fresh copy of XP PRO, and installed my NIC card drivers.

It recognizes my NIC card, it sees a Cat5 cable is plugged in, but it wont access the internet. I am positive the internet is working because i am on it right now. So this is what I have done.

I called my brother, and he said that he made a list of what the IP setup in the house should be. I went to all our macs and changed the local IPs to what they should be, and shut them all down. I then shut off both our Linksys router and switch, then powered em back up.

I went around and started up all the computers. Seems everything is working, but the G4 and the PC. (not my g4, the one that wasn't working earlier)

I want to install new firmware for our router as ours is WAY outdated, but I need the PC to do that. And since the PC cant recognize the router, I dont know what to do.

I think the cable we are using may be bad, but I doubt it because it was working about 3 hours before I installed the stupid Cable Speed Booster.

Now, as I have said, every computer is working and online except for the PC and the G4. I have gone through all the g4s settings and corrected them all, and rebooted.

The PC I am not fimiliar with, so could someone help me there? I will eventually get the g4 to work, but I am dead stuck on the PC.

I have tried using "obtain IP automatically" and rebooted----nothing. I have specified an IP with a Subnet---nothing.

My brother said I might need to specify the IP, shut down, unplug the CAT5 cable from both the PC and the router because sometimes the IP gets held up in there. He said it has happened to his PC buddies computers before. I haven't tried that yet though. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Just to get an idea of your set up, do you have the cable modem going straight into the router?

If so try plugging the Cable modem into the PC by itself and see if connects ( make sure you reset the CM before trying), if it does, then you need to rest the router and check the settings.
    Good luck!!

3. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Thanks

You are the second person that has told me that. I guess I will do it tomorrow, and try it out.

Hope it works....

4. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Re: Thanks

No problem, let me know if it works!!