Massive Power Outage on US East Coast

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by robbieduncan, Aug 14, 2003.

1. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

2. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I just turned on my TV and saw it. You beat me to the post. :D

I so hope that everyone is safe and this is not some the start of something ominous.

3. benthardunthat macrumors newbie

Power outages?

I live just north of New York City, and our power's been out since probably 4:30. I'm typing this now on my laptop. I read online that there have been outages all across the east coast, as far west as Denver, and north into Canada. Anyone else having an outage?

4. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Florida used to have major issues with power grid overloads until FPL started installing special devices to cut power to various houses at certain times in order to balance out power use. Basically what the box does is cut power to the water heater or cut back the ac for a while and such. It seems to help since we have much less trouble with blackouts during the heavy ac use during summer months. I am sure it's not that simple in major areas like NYC, but it seems like more efficient energy management needs to be learned and applied to keep up with growth.

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

6. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

Wow. I wonder how long the power grid will be down. The news said it's not just the U.S. -- the entire city of Toronto is out. :eek:

7. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-All

Well, so far we good in Chicago. Though the ozone is so damn thick it looks like fog.

8. zulgand04 macrumors regular

zulgand04

I live in CT and work in down town New Haven. Around 4:20 all the lights in the place i work shut off. And lucky our nice APC backups saved our work from being lost, the nice thing was we got to leave at 4:30 instead of 5.

9. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

I was just watching the live feed from CNN. Good job the power is out and hopefully no one affected could hear the rumour mongering reports on the television.

Does that particular news network really reflect the feeling of the people regarding terror threats, or does it create its own media hype? I found the continual references and innuendo from the CNN people quite disturbing.

10. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Supposedly, when a manhattan plant went out, it made the entire niagra area's power grid unstable, and caused a major problem...

I'm sure that when all of NYC tries to get power without the manhattan plant up and running, it puts a crap load of stress on any system connected to it, which probably is what knocked out the other cities...

And now CNN's site isn't working for me...

11. bentmywookie macrumors regular

Lucky me gets to experience the power outtage, but fortunately, besides the obvious suckiness of the power being out, it seems like everything else is ok . . . oh wait, are those my neighbors running up and down the block screaming?? jk.

On a serious note, it was really nice to read that fellow MR members are concerned. Thank you - I am happy to say that as far as I know, things seem ok for now. Hopefully the hospitals and other places that need the energy have their back-ups working just fine.

12. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

13. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Damn, My girlfriend lives in St. Catherines , ONT in the Niagara region 30 minutes outside of Buffalo. Looks like I won't be talking to her tonight if power to Toronto is out. :( :( :(

14. benthardunthat macrumors newbie

Yup. I suppose it's the only advantage of still having dialup at home. My dad will use it as his latest excuse not to get DSL.

15. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i guess but when the power is on, broadband is soo much better.

16. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

Man, I remember living in Tampa during that year they had the rotating blackouts to conserve power... that was sucky! Our Christmas dinner was actually ruined because of the blackouts... they would last for hours. Then I would go over to my dad's house and he never had any at all. It wasn't QUITE balanced out. :)

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Blame Grey Davis. That's what we do out here when the power goes out.

18. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

my cable service has free nationwide dialup included, so when i am out of town i can get on 56k, as well as when the power goes out. it's sweet!

19. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

thats pretty cool if your on the road and have an open phone jack to use. which service is that? I'm more of a fan of paying for a broadband option in a hotel if i have the chance neway.

20. beefcake macrumors 6502

I'm amazed, I'm right by Albany and only lost power for a few seconds. Nobody else in my area has power. Normally my neighborhood loses power when a branch falls off a tree 20 miles away. Odd that a massive Northeast power outage would leave my little house unaffected.

21. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

it's working for me right now. i don't know if it was down for a bit or what.

22. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

23. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I have a Mac and my power is still on! Coincidence? Maybe...

24. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Yeah, it's crazy. My girlfriend lives in New Jersey and they are having power issues, as well. From the sound of it, the power won't be restored until tomorrow morning and the main issue is lack of water since all the pumps are dead from the power outage...hopefully there will be some miracle and power will be restored.

25. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

The cities I've heard not having power are:
    Toronto, Ottowa, Detroit, Ann Arbor, Jackson, Toledo, Erie, New York, and various other towns. I heard it started in Ottowa, but I'm not sure. Any way, best of luck to those of you who lost power.