Master or Slave

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by revenuee, Jan 24, 2004.

1. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I just installed a second hard drive into my 400 G4

a Maxtor 40 gig to replace the 10 gig Quantum i have installed currently ... i'de like to keep both drives in my computer, but my question is whether i should set the device ID to Master on the Hard drive i plan on using as the start up drive ... currently the hard drive i do use at start up is set at Slave

everything seems to work fine except that Final Cut Pro won't load

i did carbon copy cloner from one drive to the other and then erased the smaller drive to just keep the new one with the system files ...

does the Final Cut Pro problem come with the hard drive set up? or is this an unrelated problem

Note: Final Cut Pro gets stuck at "Loading Audio Filters"

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

All the drives on my PowerMac are set to cable select, as per the manual, and they work fine.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If you don't want to use cable select, then I'd say set your boot drive as the primary master.

4. revenuee thread starter macrumors 68020

revenuee

I'm not entirely sure how cable select works ... i just ran a search for it ... and from what i gather i need a special cable?

so am i just better going in and setting the jumpers?

in any case ... i do need to have the main drive as the master?

5. revenuee thread starter macrumors 68020

revenuee

Okay i took out the jumper from the master drive ... because of the orientation of the drive to the PCI slots i couldn't get the jumper back in ... so i just left it off (i read that this will make it default as slave) and then i took the second drive and changed the jumper to the master position ... now when i check under disk utilities the new drive is the master (like i wanted) and the old drive is the slave (like i wanted)

and Final Cut Pro doesn't hang up anymore so i guess it was a related problem.

Thanks for your help guys