Master/Slave disk drive terms are discriminatory

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MoparShaha, Nov 26, 2003.

1. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Article here.

A group is upset about the master and slave terminology used by hard drives in computers. What are these people thinking. Unbelievable. This isn't about slavery of human beings, it is about a very accurate and descriptive technological term. These people need to stop looking under every rock for discrimination and get a life.

2. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

3. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

And there was me thinking Political Correctness died with the 90s...

Numpties!

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'd be up for changing the technical terms for the ATA drives to Pimp and Prostitute.

It's an generic term, the master circuit/switch/valve and slave have been around quite awhile as a description of how things operate, and used in a variety of industries around the world.

Even as a dictionary term, it would fall way back far earlier than recorded history to the earliest versions of this concept, so it not like your discriminating against Roman slaves with the term. It has it's origins much earlier.

And it's all in how you use the terms, if you really wanted to be PC you'd start chucking and redacting books, history and records of all types.

Almost sounds like the plot to a 1984 sci-fi book.

5. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    [sarcasim]

You know, the word cracker offends me and is discriminatory. I think we should ask all cracker manufacterers to change the name of their foods. after all, we have to appease evereyone.

while we are at it, i think the word niggardly needs to be removed from the english language since it sounds a bit like the "n" word, yet has no relationship to it at all.

we should also stop using the phrase spick and span, since the first word can be used as "a disparaging term for a Hispanic person."

[/sarcasim]

so- to my point. this is absolutely rediculous. this person who is whining needs to stop, remove his head from his a$$, and think twice before speaking again.

6. Kid Red macrumors 65816

I guess the group just recently got around to buying a computer? I could see if these terms were recently given to devices, but master and slave have been around a very long time. Some people just look for a reason to file a law suit. The words were around before any negative situation had the same terms applied to it. This is just dumb people looking for something to whine about. How can one be insulted by a computer HD set up? The ignorance is just overwhelming here.

I too like the pimp and prostitute name change, however, don't want any yellow zebra trim suit wearing big alligator platform walking feather in the hat sporting pimp to start a law suit either.

How about HD1 and HD2, and maybe that won't confuse computer newbies too bad.

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Wait until they find out that signal 6 in Unix is ABORT!

8. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    I like Pimp 'n Ho better, personally.

9. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

you can't get rid of the past by abolishing the use of the words master and slave...

heh, I said abolishing...

These people need to get a life, but they're probably just trying to get the African American vote...

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

This is where a line should be drawn. I'm sorry, but I don't see Native Americans or Jews whining about repression from their history. :rolleyes:

11. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

These people really really REALLY need to get lives.

So, what's next? Remove "master" and "slave" from history books? The dictionary perhaps? :rolleyes:

12. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I saw this article to in today's paper... The lengths people go to before actually thinking rationally astounds me some time. The term master and slave doesn't just apply to computer terminology, it also applies to many machine parts as well, usually meaning one supports the other. The first one that comes to mind is the master and slave cylinder in a hydraulic brake system (well at least for older cars)… I would hope that these people realize they could be doing something much more constructive and meaningful with all that energy.

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm glad I don't live in the silly city that made this silly request. Oh wait, I do.

The Internet's Domain Name Service (DNS) uses the terms "master server" and "slave server". Both types of server provide domain information, but a master server gets its information locally while a slave server gets it from another server. There are already more politically correct names for these servers: "primary server" and "secondary server".

For "master" and "slave" on a peripheral bus, I don't know of any alternative names already in use.

I wonder if people with's Master's degrees should be forced to give them back?

14. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

no one ever said it was "discriminatory", they said "offensive", and as they themselves said, what most likely happened is that someone that does not understand computers saw the terms and complained, causing this formal chain of events even tho they all know it's BS.

pnw

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

OMFG! People can be so ****ing dumb. You think this "unidentified worker" would take it to heart if I called him a "sad no-life ****ing twat, arse w**ker c*ck s*cking tit"? Yes? Good!

16. Tim Flynn macrumors regular

The solution is simple:
    The don't like the terms master & slave used in their computer, so ...
    remove all components from their computer that use those terms.

Bonus is that they will mostly be impervious to virus' as well :D

17. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

just what i was thinkin'! or maybe 'big pimp daddy' and 'bizzznatch'.

18. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

We good give the PC people something to really get them going.

*ahem* America and Iraq?

19. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-All

I'm offended at their offense. Perhaps I should have a native L.A. er file a petition on people being offended by this and block the motion. Then others can file another petition on being offended at my being offended at other offending and block my blockage. Then my friends can file a complaint due to their offense of the third parties' offense at my offense to the others' offense and block the blockage of my blockage.

Sounds ridiculous? The scary part is that there are judges that allow this crap...

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'm offended that people like this still have the ability to breed, and pass their brand of idiocy onto a new generation.

A vote for the castration is a vote to stop the stupidity this generation.

21. G3-Pwnz-G4 macrumors regular

only one thing hits my mind when i see these: have any of these people ever had sex with a human being?

probably not.:rolleyes:

22. Drifter macrumors newbie

Christ. Damn Liberals can play the race or discrimination card on anything can't they? First, we have Political Correctness shoved down our throats. (Remember, never trust the mean, white, rich, healthy, Christian, heterosexual male).
    Then we have Al Not-So-Sharpton calling for slave reperations to non-slaves by non-slaveowners.
    Then I'm told I can't draw a part of history because it's offensive.
    When will this bull**** end?

Here's the weird thing: The same bleeding heart Liberals who called Republicans biggots are people who filibuster judges because their "latino" and "dangerous". Memos were stolen, but they refuse to comment on the content.
    Come to thing of it, I'm going to go sue...uh...(looks in the phone book) Sholenburger, Attorney. There aren't any black men in the picture in the phone book. That means he's RACIST! Now I say we should go pull some unqualified minority out of the street and give him the job so we can have diversity! Freedom!

Hehe. Check out this comic: Da Leftersons
    Dumb Liberals. :D

23. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Drifter

I think in most other cases comments like these could be considered inflammatory, but you know what, the persons of this story are so far beyond rational I doubt that would be the case.

It is groups like this I personally can dare call ultraliberal - liberal beyond healthy. You find that true in any political vein. Ultra conservative, ultraliberatarian, ultranationalistic etc.

A wise man once said: "You can please all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but never all of the people all of the time."

If we took the time an effort to change our laws to stop offending somebody - what kind of sheep would we turn into. There are some things that people need to remind themselves that life is not a very nice place. Tough, get used to it.