Master -vs- Slave

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by blackpeter, Mar 15, 2002.

1. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2001
    I'm putting a second drive of 80GB into my G4 tower, but I've got some questions about how to configure the original 20GB drive. This computer's primary use is video editing w/ FCP3.

Should I...

1. Set the new 80GB drive as the Slave (using it for my video) and keep the OS and all program files on the original 20GB drive?

2. Set the 80GB drive as the Master and use the origonal 20GB for storage should my 80GB fill up...

Hey, I know this isn't the most exciting post or question, but help from other (more experienced) Mac or video professionals would be greatly appreciated...

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    Several considerations...

First of all, are the drives similar in spec, other than capacity?
    If they're not, the entire IDE chain will run at the speed of the slower drive. If this is the case, I would suggest a PCI ATA controller (if you have a free slot) for maximum performance.

It is always a good idea to keep your system folder and apps on a separate HD from your documents. I would suggest keeping the 20GB as your system and app drive, and use the 80GB for video work.

Good luck!
  3. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2001
    Whichever the faster drive is, use that for you primary DV recording drive.

(5400 v 7200)

If they are the same speed, then get the aforementioned PCI ATA 100 adapter from Sonnet, and use the 80 as your storage drive.

4. teabgs macrumors 68030

Jan 18, 2002
    behind you
    keep the 20 as he master and use that for all your apps and such. Then use your 80 GB for video and render files. You'll be much happier with this especially when you need that extra few hundred megs for render files that you wont have on the 20. Though, there are other considerations. those are my 2 cents.
  5. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!

I've considered buying a seperate hard drive for my video work, and I was wondering if it really makes a big difference. I have a 40GB HD which is plenty big for my needs, but if a seperate HD really makes a difference I will probably get one. I have a few questions though. I would like portability of video files. Will an external drive deliver the same speed as an internal drive? and What parts of FCP will get the largest speed increase? Thanks
  6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA

The main question is: How is your 40GB partitioned?
    If it's just one large drive, you probably would want to reformat and part it up. Writing/rewriting video files fragments your drive like nothing else, so performance wise, it's best to keep them separate and defrag your video drive often.

Plus you need to look at the length of the movies you'll be working on. Clips have a way of multiplying like rabbits, and lots of 1GB files can eat up your HD in no time flat.