Mastering Art Of Apology

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Aug 30, 2004.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Ha! I rarely forgive and forget unless it's a close family member (ex. mother, sister, grandfather, etc.). Once someone pisses me off, thats it, it's hard for me to want to do anything around them or be around them. And first impressions mean a lot to me.

I am a hard person to know and understand.

3. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

That is kind of sad. You sound like you might be the shy type, introverted. I'm introverted, but the compassionate empathetic type.

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i do feel better when i say sorry after iv done something retarded

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i hold a grudge really easily and for a really long time, but i tend to forgive and forget if i think about it and realize i was wrong. now if the other person was wrong...

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I don't hold grudges....I get even :p Sorry , someone had to say that. I don't hold grudges and will admit to mistakes. Life's too short to worry about small crap. If it doesn't get any better after an apology, I just move on...

D

7. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I can believe that forgiveness is good for you. Just today I finally forgave my girlfriend for something she did several weeks ago, and right now at least I'm feeling considerably better than I have in quite a while...

8. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

At least you aplogized for it :p I tend to forgive and forget myself. Or at least try to.

9. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I have a real problem with forgiving people...As in, I do it too much and too easily. I can't stay mad at a person for very long, in most instances. I guess it's good in the sense that I move on, but I feel that I really ought to be more firm more of the time and to really cut people off in instances where they have crossed a certain line.

10. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

There is a difference between being strong enough not to let yourself be walked on like a doormat, and carrying around useless negative feeling that doesn't do anything to the person it's aimed at.

Also, forgiveness doesn't mean that what the person did is all right, nor that you can trust them not to do it again. You can only trust a person to be what they are; not what you thought they were, or want them to be. Forgiveness isn't excusing their behavior, it's letting go of your own anger towards it.

11. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

that's a good way of looking at it

12. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Forgiveness is the easy part in the apology. What's really difficult is to forget, which is the most important. The party that did wrong must be sincere in the apology, explain what was done, and promises not to do it again. If all that is met we should forgive, forget, and move on. As others have said life is too short to hold a grudge. Jesus Christ talked about forgiveness many times, "your father has forgiven you, and so you should forgive.

13. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I've learned something very important this school year. Hearing or saying "I forgive you" is more meaningful than hearing or saying "I'm sorry" or "I love you".