Master's Programmes..Canada, France or the UK?

Discussion in 'Community' started by fitinferno, Aug 2, 2005.

1. fitinferno macrumors 6502

So...it's late...and I'm thinking about my future. If any of you could help out with a bit of advice, I'd be grateful.

I am looking into getting a Master's after I graduate. I currently go to the LSE and am expecting to get a 2:1 in Social Psychology, Criminal Justice and Psychology (I graduate next summer). And I really cannot decide at all where to go after this.

So...the schools I'm considering in general are King's College, McGill, University of Toronto, the Sorbonne, LSE, City, and a few various other ones within England and Canada.

I was just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the quality of Master's programmes at any of these schools. What would be even more valuable is the style of Master's programmes in Canada. I'm very unsure on these...I know they are 2 years and have a long thesis you have to do, but other than that...

I'm starting to think that it's all going to simply come down to which ones I get accepted into...but I'd like to keep an open mind :)

2. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I'm afraid I cant help too much with wether the programmes are good or not, the only thing I can suggest is work out how much its going to cost realistically to study abroad.

While you cant put a price on experiences, I don't know about you but coming out of Uni with £10K of debt certainly made me delay my plan of studying for a Masters!

Might be worth applying to the institutions for information on funding/bursaries etc.

This is of course if you havent done already :)

3. fitinferno thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice on financing. I'm definitely looking into funding options...which is part of the incentive of Canada. Master's programmes in the UK are pretty expensive...so might as well abuse the Canadian dollar (no offence to any Canadian MR members!).

My mum is going to help out with paying part of the educational expenses on the condition I get my Master's straight after the Bachelor's degree. If I take any break, deal's off and I get no help from her.

4. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

You know what i never thought about using the exchange rate to my advantage. You're lucky in that you'll get financial help from your Mum, Masters are expensive.

Taking a break is a difficult choice - on the one hand you got time to relax, earn money, give your brain a rest from the constant education since young age. On the other hand the longer you leave it before doing something with your degree, the easier it is to start forgetting things, and the harder it may be when you resume study.

5. fitinferno thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I feel very lucky on the fact my mum is being so helpful. She definitely doesn't have to be this nice, so it's very cool.

I definitely agree with you on what the positives of taking a break before starting another degree are. Another good positive is the fact that you can try out (ideally) jobs and interests that you think you might want to do with your degrees. I'm very afraid that I'm going to get my degrees, get out into the job world and then realise that I really don't much care for what I planned on doing...then it's a bit too late to get a Master's qualification in something else so I can do something else.

And forgetting things might not be too big an issue, especially if you aren't just lazing around and are starting to use some of the knowledge from your first degree. Frankly, most of the people I know forget everything every year...lol. They all study for exams and once exams are done their brains are wiped clean.

6. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

And THATs precisely why I think exams are an outdated and useless method of evualuation :)

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Masters programmes are probably quite similar no matter where you go.

So is your degree in Psychology? Is that what you're interested in doing a Masters in?

Anyway, I'm Canadian, and I say abuse our dollar as much as you wish. I'm in Australia right now doing a PhD for around 8500 quid per year tuition costs. I was thinking about going to Kings College, UCL, or the Institute of Cancer Research (in Sutton) for Uni, but I didn't find any research projects that interested me at either of those Unis. Also, it was 13900 quid per year for tuition alone for non-UK, non-EU citizens. Living in London would have added to that cost. I ended up going to a decent, but not a top-league Uni in Australia. My program at this Uni is the best, and the project interested me more than at other Unis.

I think that's the most important thing.

I also thought about going to Vancouver/UBC or McGill. You won't have the same amazing experience going to UofT. UBC is probably better for foreigners, and the weather isn't as harsh. ;)

8. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well I agree with Abstract go ahead and spend your money here...we really don't have a problem with that. Both UofT and McGill are great schools, however Abstract is right, the experince will be different with going to Toronto, Montreal, ...or Vancouver. At McGill you'll probably want a good understanding of French (preferably the Québecois 'franglais' ;) ), Montreal is a great party town with a good vibe and the education at McGill is top-notch. Toronto might seem a little more reserved, but there's fun to be had if you know where to go, and again it's a highly ranked university here.

If it was between U of T, and McGill for me I'd go with whichever one fit my lifestyle and budjet. Toronto is percived as a bit more expensive, but I'm not sure about that, check online for apartment rentals in each city, that should give you a good idea.

Good luck!

9. fitinferno thread starter macrumors 6502

They really are...it also explains why I'm thinking I'll get a 2:1. Despite how confusing it is, when you really look at the system of grading here it's overall not too hard to get a decent 2:1 :)

We have a lot of the General Course Americans here who just whinge time and time again about their continual assessment. I think it'd be alright, but I know I'd wind up working a lot more than I do currently...lol.

10. fitinferno thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies to this everyone. It's definitely been quite helpful.

I talked to a visiting academic today from a uni in Canada and found out a bit more about the dissertations...it doesn't seem like it'd be too bad...

And after this thread, I do think I have more of a leaning towards McGill than UoT...