Matador Records is pleased to announce that major chunks of ...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacBytes, Oct 11, 2003.

1. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Matador records first indie lable on iTunes. (available now)

From website http://www.matadorrecords.com/news/index.html
    "Matador Records is pleased to announce that major chunks of its extensive catalog -- as well as new releases -- are available as of today from Apple's iTunes Music Store, where, until now, no independent labels have been represented. At an a la carte price of 0.99 per song or for 9.99 for an entire album, cultured music fans in the U.S. (dummies too) can download AAC files of tracks by Interpol, Cat Power, Yo La Tengo, Stephen Malkmus, Mogwai, Guided By Voices, Pretty Girls Make Graves and countless others. Very shortly, the iTunes Store will be available to users of Windows PCs as well. "

Awesome news eh? I wonder who will be next.

[edit] sorry, I didn't see MacBytes post before I posted.[edit]

2. dstorey macrumors 6502a

I dunno if its just me but I love matador records.....Belle and sebastian, Jon Specer blues explosion, Interpol etc etc, all great bands

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

4. smada macrumors member

5. theipodgod16 macrumors 6502

Good, I Look Forward To Seeing More Of v2's roster on there.

6. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

Wouldn't we all like to know. My estimate is around 250,000. That assumes they were telling the truth at the start about having 200,000 tracks, and they haven't removed any significant number for whatever reason, and that the "just added" section is accurate; they've added a very rough estimate of 10,000 tracks or so each week for the past three weeks, but the biggest week up to that point was 2,000 or so, and there were several rather skimpy periods.

I could be completely wrong, but unless my album estimates are way off or they've been adding more than they let on behind the scenes, I'd be very surprised if they were up to 300,000 at this point.

8. hazmat macrumors member

Hey cool, I see Yo La Tengo up there. Good deal. Just saw them live last night. Fantastic as always. If anyone wants to check them out, I would highly recommend I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One. Of course EMusic has it, but they are about to implode.

9. pbooktebo macrumors member

Matmos in da house

I think that, although small independent record companies may not be the bread and butter for ITMS, this will be the most important function of this and other virtual stores, allowing for constant availibility of obscure non-commercial music.

The fact that inventory isn't an issue makes lesser-known groups like Matmos economically viable. The catalog can constantly be in print, the tracks will hopefully be available worldwide in the near future, and there is an unlimited supply.

Not that I'm not nostalgic for the days when I waited months for the latest "Wayside Music" catalog to find its way to my humble home, but the 6-week turnaround from order form to turntable (literally) and inability to preview really make 1989 look like the stone age.

Here's to alternative and small-press music viability via ITMS! :D

10. Genie macrumors 6502a

Genie

This is really good news.

Hopefully my independent stuff will show up there soon.

11. Dahl macrumors 6502a

I got this email from Kill Rock Stars today:
    This week iTunes added some of our releases! Some Sleater-Kinney,
    Cadallaca, Ronnie Spector, compilations, etc. Very soon the most of the KRS and 5RC catalog will be available this way. If you are already an iTunes addict (like all of us here are) you know how psyched we are to be up there. And if you aren't one already you will be soon as the Windows version is on it's way.

12. frozenstar macrumors regular

Napster, which is scheduled to go live at the end of the month, claims to have a catalog of 500k songs.
    Based on recent rumors, and Apple's desire to be #1, I'm inclined to believe that on Oct 16, when Steve announces iTMS for Windows, he'll also announce that they've just added some large number of new songs to the catalog. I'm guessing it'll be about 250k - or just enough to put them over the top.

13. tsb2rxn macrumors newbie

WhiteStripes

I've noticed that they added the Whitestripes! Even gave them their own page. When they add their album Elephant to the store I will buy it.

14. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I'd love to see them add Epitaph Records who has music by The Offspring, Bad Religion, NOFX, Pennywise, Dropkick Murphys, Sugarcult, Rancid, Bouncing Souls, Voodoo Glow Skulls and many more.

(EDIT: It seems that some of these albums have actually been added since iTMS was originally released :))

15. LFrascogna macrumors member

Yes

Man Indie is where the bread and butter could be for online stores. Hard to find cat power stuff from matador. You can order it, but with shipping and handling you are looking at a freakin $20 purchase (and when it is old and obscure, the artwork usually isn't worth it).

The two I would really love to see would definetely be Saddle Creek (Bright Eyes, The Faint, Cursive) and then Barsuk (Death Cab for Cutie, Rilo Kiley)

16. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

17. mproud macrumors regular

The inclusion of Matador is HUGE. Every band is frickin' awesome!

Oh man. I SO want all my friends to download iTunes when it comes out Thursday. They will NOT be disappointed!

Here's to Thursday - BY FAR, THE BIGGEST DAY THIS YEAR!

18. mrwilly123 macrumors member

19. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

this is sweet. i love that label... YLT, Belle and Sebastian, and Interpol are some of my favorites, heh.

but as to this thursday being the biggest day this year--come on, did you really forget the powermac G5 that fast? snap out of it, you've come down with exaggeration syndrome.

:p

20. julzmon macrumors member

It would be nice if you could search by label.
    Now I wonder when the European store opens will we get the same content? Will you be able to buy music that is out in Europe before the US? So many times things coming out there linger forever and eventually come out here. A lot of times with worse quality printing of the packaging.

It would be nice if they had the entire catalog available to all the countries. It would open people up to so much more good music.

21. mouse macrumors newbie

I will probably go broke the day when dance/trance remixes from such artists as hex hector, junior vasquez, scumfrog, almighty (and many, many others) become available.

iTMS also needs compilation cds from DJs such as Matt Consola, Paul van Dyk (and many, many others).

I do hope we see these soon!javascript:smilie(':p')

22. september29th macrumors newbie

I'm looking forward to iTunes putting up EP's from various indie acts. I purchase a great deal of 7"... and I'd rather not go through the trouble of turning those into AAC or MP3's. Here's to hoping that they may begin to put those kinds of things up.

Especially things that are out of print!

.mCr.

23. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Very good.

This is very good news for iTMS, indies are great, maybe with the extra publicity they can also get the artists that didn't want to do this in the first place.

:rolleyes:

Keep it going.

24. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

I see iTMS has a souce of out of print music. Like Kirsty MacColl (I don't know if her songs are sold... are they, i don't have a mac). Unless they have people like Kirsty MacColl i really don't see why people would waste their money.