Matched Pair 2x1GB RAM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ericmjl, Mar 5, 2007.

1. ericmjl macrumors member

Hey guys,

Just wanted to check, is $221 for the matched pair of 1GB RAM reasonable in price? Or do you think it'll drop further within the next six months?

Thanks alot.

2. esaleris macrumors 6502

If you're talking about SO-DIMMs, there's cheaper out now. Try newegg.com, where the cheapest pair is around $65 each stick = $130 matched. The Crucial memory, which has a slightly better latency rating, is $75, which I think is pretty darned affordable.

3. ericmjl thread starter macrumors member

Anybody knows anywhere else where I can find a good deal on compatible RAM?

4. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Do a search on the forums. I'll be dollars to donuts that there are 5 million threads on this exact subject. I'm not even kidding. Maybe 6, even.

5. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

NewEgg doesn't ship to Canada

<disclosure: I am in the memory business in Canada>

CAN$221 (Approx US$180) is a good price for guaranteed Mac-compatible RAM, PM me off-forum if you want more information.

As far as prices go, long term they should go down, short term they go up and down weekly, if not daily. So 6 months from now, it may be less. But if you are using your machine, what is the value to you of not being able to use the full 2 Gb for 6 months?

</disclosure>

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

7. nightsky macrumors member

Paid $221.

Eric, I just pd $221. including tax, free shipping from crucial just b/c I have their ram for over 5yrs w/o any problems. However, users here recommend Gskill from newegg, Other World Computing, and memory suppliers. If you look up ram the site provides recommended ram sellers that are less than $221. I just went based on my experience but probably paid too much.

8. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

I thought prices go up in the long run? Something about older architecture parts cost more.

A 1 gig stick for my PB went for 130, vs my MBP was only 75.

9. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

You are comparing apple to oranges. You would have to compare the price of the PB RAM today to the price of RAM at some point in the past to be a fair comparison.

In general, the price of RAM starts high, declines steadily over a period of time (not counting the ups and downs with commodity pricing as these cancel each other out in the long run) before prices rise again when production stops or slows dramatically while there is still demand.

10. artalliance macrumors 6502

11. emac82 macrumors 6502

Yes, in Canada $221 is a very reasonable price for that ram. There are still places selling it for like $300+ for 2X1GB sticks...

12. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

you answered your own question, any DDR PC2700 333mhz memory stick will work. As for quality, different people prefer different brands.