Matching RAM Brands; Controlling Volume; "Check Spelling As You Type"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cvillian, Jan 4, 2007.

1. cvillian macrumors newbie

I have had my stock Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz white Macbook for a month now and I love it! I haven't looked back to Windows since.

So, I now have three completely unrelated questions that I've wondered about for the past month.

--

1) Matching RAM brands

I currently have 1 GB of RAM in my Mac and want to upgrade to 2 GB. However, I cannot afford to upgrade all at once, so I am planning on buying a 1 GB stick soon and the other at a later date when funds allow. I know the Macbook can only have the dual channel RAM speed advantage if both sticks are the same size and speed. But will it make a difference if they are of different brands? (The brand I buy now may not be the most affordable when I buy the second stick.)

2) Controlling Volume

This is a general computer question that I've wondered for a long time, but what is the best way to control volume for sound quality? Is it better to leave my external speakers at a set volume and control using F4 and F5? Or is it better to set my computer volume first and control with my external speakers' knob? Or does it make absolutely no difference at all?

3) "Check Spelling As You Type"

I love this feature in Safari, but it never stays on! Every time I activate it, it turns off when I move to a new field. Is there a way to keep it activated at all times by default?

2. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Not sure on this one, your safest bet would be 2 identical bars, but you might get away with using somewhat different.
    Someone will know. ;)
    Keep your mac's volume maxed and choose your volume on the amp (external speaker).
    Otherwise your amp will be amp'ing silence (or more silent).
    Sorry i'm having a hard time explaining myself lately.
    Never had a problem with this. Playing around I did notice the setting being different for this textframe and the one you can use for the title...
    Can't help sorry

3. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Dual channel RAM is almost guaranteed NOT to work across brands. That said, you're not going to miss that much by adding 1GB. More RAM is almost always better, even if you're sacrificing your 2-4% dual channel speed boost.

Also, if you buy the RAM separately and let too much time go by, you might just be wasting your money. Dual channel requires matched pairs, which means more than just the same brand and same timings--the individual chips themselves are a critical factor (and as suppliers change and design revisions occur, you lose compatibility for dual channel mode).

In short, just buy the 1GB and don't worry about dual channel, or wait until you can afford to buy them together.