material possessions

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Aug 15, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

do you have a lot of material possessions?

do you want more or want less (as in less clutter around the house?)

for the past ten years, i have been into this anti-clutter thing, and besides my car, everything i have is small and i live in a very sparse living space with my wife...i ditched my stamp collection (gave it to cousin), model collection (gave it to young person), guitar collection (sold it), coin collection (gave it away or sold it piece by piece), and ditched my desktops (i only have two laptops...which explains all the ibook/tibook posts i have made in last two years)

renting videos is great because if i bought them, and dvds, i would fill up my living space twofold in no time like i have seen non-renting friends of mine do

my goal now would be to eventually have one printer and somehow hide all the beige peripherals from my desk since it's the only eyesore left

i do still have one cluttering vice left...about fifty small, stuffed animals that my wife and i cannot seem to part with

:p

2. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

why do you keep posting really stupid threads? :mad:

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i thought this was one of my better stupid threads...at least i am not in a poll mood:eek:

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Well I am trying to get things sorted out.. its getting really really messy (especially in my room).. but I do not intend to stop buying things or throw away things for that matter... so my only solution is to get more storage space for my things... yeah.

irmongoose

5. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Reducing material possessions is GREAT!

So much reduction in clutter, and space... and of course... it's a MASSIVE cost savings. It becomes a challenge after a while - being able to fit everything you own into the smallest space possible. No TV, no video games, no wooptie-doo surround sound, no pointless decorative items, no whiz-bang time waster gadgets (except the computer, if you want to count Macrumors as a time waster, which I certainly do :)). I hate to sound like a hippie, but it really is fulfilling replacing all the meaningless technology with long walks and bike rides and reading etc. Simple living! Wooooooo! Plus it's nice to know I could move everything myself if I ever had to change my place of residence - it eliminates that feeling of strandedness one can have without a car. (The car is the ultimate material possession... except for maybe the house.)

Alex

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

I am going to need less crap around the room, since I will be moving and living in a smaller room. Luckily, though, some of my stuff won't be in the same room as me, so I don't need to worry too much about that.

Plus, in a year, I will be off to the big boys' place, the Uni, so I will need desk space.

7. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Hey, how about reducing your material possesions my way! :) You know, cars take up a lotta space, as well as any G4 towers or large screen tvs :D

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I like my material possessions but it's difficult to get into some places in my house. :D

Many of my computers are running or ready to run. I have a 41" rear projection t.v. and home theater system. Besides those, i have hundreds of books, which are mostly computer-related as well as thousands (?) of issues of magazines. I have almost every issue of BYTE from 1978 until 1999.

I am constantly organizing though. I can't do enough to keep things in order. Some days, it looks like the room my mother pictured would happen. I would be considered a good example of what not to do. :D:(

9. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I'm cluttered to say the least. It's difficult to move without tripping over an old computer or some video equipment.