Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quboid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
everywhere
I know programming is math and logic ( and creativity), and i was just wondering if anybody here could help me derive a caculus question that got me pulling my hair out.
x(1-x)^2

thats: x multiplied by 1-x in bracket squared. I am expected to derive this and find the values for x in teh first derivative, i.e, equate it to zero and solve for x.

thanks guys

n-abounds

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Wait, is it:

(x(1-x))^2

or

x((1-x)^2))

?

I think either interpretation is quite easy. Just simplify either expression, then use the power rule. Maybe you don't know the power rule... Anyways, after using the power rule you would set that equal to zero and solve for x.

nordesmic

macrumors member
May 2, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
I know programming is math and logic ( and creativity), and i was just wondering if anybody here could help me derive a caculus question that got me pulling my hair out.
x(1-x)^2

thats: x multiplied by 1-x in bracket squared. I am expected to derive this and find the values for x in teh first derivative, i.e, equate it to zero and solve for x.

thanks guys

If I understand you correctly, and I can still remember my chain rule and product rule, the answer would be..

x*2(1-x)*-1 + 1*(1-x)^2 =0

that is use the chain rule on the bit with the brackets and then apply the product rule.

Then the answer would be 2x^2+2x+1-2x+x^2=0
therefore 3x^2-4x+1=0
therefore x=.333 or 1

I hope that is right.

n-abounds

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Hmm I get either:

1 - 4x + 3x^2 = 0

or

2x - 6x^2 + 4x^3 = 0

depending on how that exponent is interpreted. The answer should be the same whether simplified first, or whether the product and chain rules are used first...

Nordesmic, you did it right except in the first line where you have "1*2(1-x)*-1 + 1*(1-x)^2 =0" You shouldn't have taken the derivative of x on the left-hand side of the expression...so you should have had "x*2(1-x)*-1 + 1*(1-x)^2 =0" But this mistake throws off the answer you gave...

nordesmic

macrumors member
May 2, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Hmm I get either:

1 - 4x + 3x^2 = 0

Nordesmic, you did it right except in the first line where you have "1*2(1-x)*-1 + 1*(1-x)^2 =0" You shouldn't have taken the derivative of x on the left-hand side of the expression...so you should have had "x*2(1-x)*-1 + 1*(1-x)^2 =0" But this mistake throws off the answer you gave...

Yep I fixed it now, should be perfect.

dmcxii

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2006
more description.....

finding derivative of x(1-x)^2

first get rid of parenthesis
x(1-x)(1-x)
multiply it all out
(x-x^2)(1-x)
multiply it out again
x-x^2-x^2+x^3
combine like terms
x-2x^2+x^3
take derivative.....
1-4x+3x^2
put in correct form
3x^2-4x+1
factor
(3x-1)(x-1) and solve for zeroes..... x=1, 1/3

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Solve x(1-x)^2
dmcxii is completely correct

A solution as an image from Pages+LaTeX (which looks pretty)
Picture 13.png

Quboid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
everywhere
finding derivative of x(1-x)^2

first get rid of parenthesis
x(1-x)(1-x)
multiply it all out
(x-x^2)(1-x)
multiply it out again
x-x^2-x^2+x^3
combine like terms
x-2x^2+x^3
take derivative.....
1-4x+3x^2
put in correct form
3x^2-4x+1
factor
(3x-1)(x-1) and solve for zeroes..... x=1, 1/3

Wish it was that easy guys. Thanks for all the help though. I made a mistake with the question. I just got from school and realise that the power that i gave the expression was wrong. It was the square root of everything in the bracket. That would be:
x(1-x)^1/2.
taking into consideration that everything raised to the power of one half is the root. Deriving using the chainerule would be perfect, its the simplifing and finding "x" values that got me. Any help??

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Wish it was that easy guys. Thanks for all the help though. I made a mistake with the question. I just got from school and realise that the power that i gave the expression was wrong. It was the square root of everything in the bracket. That would be:
x(1-x)^1/2.
taking into consideration that everything raised to the power of one half is the root. Deriving using the chainerule would be perfect, its the simplifing and finding "x" values that got me. Any help??

Follow it through in the same way, except replace the 2 with 1/2, should be pretty easy, especially if you follow through my method, think of it as an example ;).

Quboid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
everywhere
Follow it through in the same way, except replace the 2 with 1/2, should be pretty easy, especially if you follow through my method, think of it as an example ;).

I have alraedy deferenciated it, its just the the simplification and solving for x. You see, when we deferenciate, we would be left with -1/2 as one of the powers, forcing us into a fraction and that's where things get messy.

This is not homework, its practice for upcomming finals. Its one of the only sums i cant seem to simplyfy, or better yet, i am not sure of my answer.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I have alraedy deferenciated it, its just the the simplification and solving for x. You see, when we deferenciate, we would be left with -1/2 as one of the powers, forcing us into a fraction and that's where things get messy.

This is not homework, its practice for upcomming finals. Its one of the only sums i cant seem to simplyfy, or better yet, i am not sure of my answer.

Well try and get one side of the equation (assuming the other side is 0) to only have a single denominator (number on the bottom), but multiplying the top of any other parts by the bottom, then as it equals 0 you can just cancel the denominator away.

Quboid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
everywhere
Well try and get one side of the equation (assuming the other side is 0) to only have a single denominator (number on the bottom), but multiplying the top of any other parts by the bottom, then as it equals 0 you can just cancel the denominator away.

thats what i did.And wasn't sure of. thanks alot man.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.