Mathematica for the rest of us

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, May 24, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. macrumors 6502

Jul 24, 2003
    New York, New York
    No offense, but this software is to Mathematica what a skateboard is to a Ferrari... with missile launchers.
  3. macrumors 6502

Jun 16, 2004
    Agreed, I didn't see anything about integration, derivitives, 3d graphs, etc.
  4. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
  5. macrumors 6502a

$40 seems way too steep for such limited functionality. I would expect linear algebra as a bare minimum at this price, especially as they tout an 'Equation Solver'

The line "Computers were designed for word processing not mathematics" made me laugh, though.
  6. 24C
    macrumors 6502a

Nov 9, 2004
    I thought it was OK at first, then used the MathKey part to assign 'pi' to one of the upper keys on the PB, but when I tried to use the * key, or the shift key, I kept getting "pi" I reset the keyboard and played with the Equation thingy...that was pretty tame, but it worked, if slightly long winded for simple equations. I reckon the calculator is loads quicker for these.
    I won't be purchasing the demo, when it runs out.
  7. macrumors 65832

Aug 2, 2004
    Well, that title is a bit of a stretch...

I would say that LiveMath Maker (formerly known as Theorist) is "Mathematica for the rest of us". Soulv is in about the same class as the Graphing Calculator (but less expensive).

As far as the Ferrari comparison with Mathematica, I'd say that it is pretty close considering Mathematica's $1880.00 price tag for non-students (LiveMath Maker runs $299.00).

Still, while LiveMath Maker is less expensive and easier to learn than Mathematica, Mathematica is so widely used in the math world that it can't be replaced by any other product (which is why it can demand the price it does).
  8. 24C
    macrumors 6502a

Nov 9, 2004
    Thanks for that link, never seen this software before...memo to self...must keep my eyes open ;)
  9. macrumors 6502

May 18, 2003
    Rehoboth Beach, De
    Computer vs calculator?
    Maybe because a calculator is real easy to use, fits in my pocket and does one thing extremely well. Or is that my iPod?