Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackmack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
I'll keep it short on the details only becase I'm still dealing with them and I'll probaby be posting a nice story on how Matias sent me a defaced Laptop Armor aluminum case for my macbook pro 17", then said they would exchange it, picked it up via ups from my house, and hasn't sent me a new one, contacted me, and I can't seem to get in contact with them.

Yup. They have my case and my money right now. They've lied to me so much it isn't funny. But I'll save that story for when its finished.

Anyways, I went with the laptoparmor because I'm a klutz, but after seeing the defaced one, it really doesn't even protect as much as i thought. Yes, on the outside, it protects great, but on the inside, you can't even fit your accessories in it. I mean, you can fit them in the case, but when you close it, they press down (fairly hard) on the mac. For the few days I had the case, i had to carry a seperate bag with my stuff in it.

So, I'm looking for something to protect my mac directly, and something nice to carry it in (like a sling or something).

I read through the forums and saw alot of cases, but most were only for 15" mbp's or 13" mb's.

I saw these 2 also:

- http://shinza.com/product_info.php?cPath=5&products_id=58
- http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=1406

Those seem like they would protect. Anyone have an opinion on which is better or if there is a better brand/option with the same sleek-fit + shock/hit protection?

As for sling case, I'm looking for something either professional or industrial (like oakley). Any ideas?

Basically, I want this thread to be like all the other ones for 15" macbook pro's only for 17" owners and their case experiences.

Stay tuned for my Matias story, too ;)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Macmaniac said:
I have a BOOQ backpack it works very well for my 15in PB. I can't speak to the quality of their sleeves, but if their backpacks are any indication it should be well built.

I have a waterfield designs sleeve and it works very well for my macbook. I can't speak to hte quality of their backpacks, but if their sleeves are any indication it should be well built. ;)

Seriously, I highly recommend waterfield. I always feel like my macbook is extremely well protected, and the sleeve looks nice too.

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
Try Chromebags.com. They make messenger bags, backpacks and laptop sleeves (for the 17") that are really durable and good looking. You can customize the colors a bit as well. Great design with the seatbelt buckle. A great option. There are threads on here that speak highly of chrome bags as well.

MygoYugo

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2006
Dallas, TX
I have a Booq Folee XM for my 15" MBP, very nice messenger bag with lots of compartments and pockets. The construction is superb and the design has somewhat of an industrial flair that you mentioned you wanted, but more conservative than that of Oakley. The shoulder strap looks like they used a car seat belt strap and the fabric is high balllistics nylon.

I really like the look of the bag and the way it secures it'a items and as I mentioned above the ergonomics are another strong point.

The Folee XL is accomidating of the 17" mbp - it's a big bag but hey, you got a big lapto...I mean portable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.