Matrix on IMAX!!!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by lmalave, Apr 24, 2003.

1. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: Matrix on IMAX!!!

there was some interesting comments on slashdot when this story was posted yesterday. Basically, some people were pointing out that iMax may not actually be a very good format for such a movie. Natively iMax movies are shot differently. I don't mean in terms of cameras and such (though thats true as well), but in terms of style. iMax was meant to be an immersive thing and is often shot from a point of view as if you yourself were in the action. Feature movies aren't shot this way (think third person v. first person shooter games for a comparison) and therefore the screen may be TOO big to effectively allow you to see everything you are supposed to see. Also the whole pan and scan aspect to it. It may be very cool, but I would want to see it on a regular screen as well, if for no other reason than to compare. I'd never really thought of these aspects of the whole thing until I was reading people's comments on slashdot, and some of them made a lot of sense.

3. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

I've never seen anything on an IMAX screen except for IMAX only movies, but I would assume that feature films, such as "The Matrix Reloaded," would be shrunk down to fit the full widescreen image on the screen. I'm pretty damn sure the Wachowski Brothers wouldn't be willing to sacrifice parts of the film just to fill up that whole screen.

Besides, even if they shrink it down to fit widescreen on the IMAX screen, that's still, what, 3 times the size of a regular screen?

I'll be there the night it opens in IMAX though. :)

enoch

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

In the words someone much more valley than I might say:

"I am so there!"

:D

After I see it on the regular 35mm screen though.

5. Chef Ramen macrumors member

maybe the matrix sequels were filmed to take advantage of an IMAX experience. we'll all find out soon enough;)

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Remember Jon Stewart's character in "Half-Baked"?

"ever see The Matrix Reloaded? "

Yeah.

"ever see The Matrix Reloaded ... [pause, cock head to side] on IMAX?"

7. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

8. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

lol i love john stewart.

9. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I took my kids to see Beauty and Beast at the IMAX in the Kansas City Zoo. It was a different experience than a regular movie screen or TV screen, although I can't say it was 'better'.

I wonder how presenting such a large image will look with all of the fast action. Are there more fps on an IMAX film or did they do anything special during the filming? Something moving quicking across the screen is really going to move!

10. MacManDan macrumors 6502

Ooooohhh ..

I saw Episode II when it came out in Imax, the quality was absolutely amazing. It looked so much sharper than it did in "normal" theaters.
    I can only imagine what the Matrix would look like! The Imax theater they have up here is amazing .. I just hope they release it before I leave school at the end of May! ;) :mad:

11. szark macrumors 68030

szark

I saw Attack of the Clones in IMAX, and they basically did a "pan-and-scan" transfer, and had to chop it up to fit under two hours. The "pan-and-scan" was annoying to me, but the edit actually made the movie flow better in some parts.

With a running time of 2 hours and 16 minutes, they may have to trim "The Matrix" to fit an IMAX projector reel (but I'm not certain). Hopefully they'll do a full widescreen transfer.

12. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Sounds good on paper but...

This is exactly what I thought about conventional movies screened in Imax. The fast editing that we are used to from action movies such as The Matrix is just too much for the format. Imax tie-ins should be their own movies, shot with the sensibilities of the format in mind.

13. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

i saw the two towers on the IMAX screen (you had to be one of the "special" folk who were silly enough to go to the very first showing at midnight and wait in a very long line even though it was playing on like 3 other screens 5 mins later...), and i have to say that, while impressive, i found it very distracting.

there was so much going on in the movie that trying to keep track of it on such a large screen was difficult. and the way they do seating did not help (it is more curved than a normal theater, so unless you are in the middle or watching and IMAX things can get weird).

i can't imagine it would be much easier to watch the matrix under those circumstances. while it would be fun to get to say you saw it on the IMAX, more enjoyment may e found from just the normal screen.

14. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    I saw the first Matrix on Imax last year, and it was terrible. It was extremely blurry, and I got there so late I was in the front row, which didn't help any. It kind of seemed like someone said "Hey, let's see if we can sell tickets to this four year old movie by putting it on this big screen!" From this article, it seems that people who know what they are doing are formatting the sequals so that they will look the way they were meant to. I hope so, I'd love to see it there, if I can get a seat in the back center.

15. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

The Matrix Reloaded & Revolutions: In an official press release, the IMAX coporation has announced that both the sci-fi films will be digitally re-mastered into IMAX form and released in the giant screen format. Unlike other films redone for this format (ala SW2), there won't be any edits or changes to the final print whilst the release is also setting an interesting first - 'Reloaded' will premiere a few weeks after the May 15th theatrical release but 'Revolutions' will be released simultaneously with the theatrical release - the first time ever that a Hollywood live action event film is released concurrently in 35mm and IMAX's format.

That was from the site, "Dark Horizons . I haven't checked the actual press release, so I'm assuming it's pretty much verbatim.

Anyways, it appears the films will NOT be edited at all. So that's good news. :) Told you the Wachowski Brothers wouldn't let em do it, hehe :)

enoch