Matrix Reloaded with a Caddy

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, Apr 19, 2003.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I was wondering. After seeing the new trailer for the movie. Would people consider buying a Cadillac CTS now? If the base model doesn't do it for you how about the new CTS-V?
    It's a Lund reengineered 400hp 6-speed trannie that will run you about 45,000 clams.
    Can Cadillac steal some of that BMW and Lexus thunder? At least now they have something to compare on par with them.

2. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I'd buy a caddie (edit: If I had the money :D ). They're new and sporty. They have the nice stealth fighter look, while still appearing slick and attractive.

I believe that they're the first American car company to start making a big comeback against BMW's and mercedes...

What' I'd really want, though, is a Caddilac Sixteen.

While the Mercedes Maybach may be luxurious, or the BMW Z3 may be fast, the Maybach just doesn't seem fun to drive, and the Z3 is way too small for me. The Caddilac CTS is a great car...

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

can someone explain the connection to me? I don't know about
    cars.... but I know an awful lot about the Matrix. :)

4. Groovsonic macrumors regular

Ok, umm... they are using the new Cadillac CTS in the Matrix. People will see the CTS in the movie. People will think CTS = Cool. Much the same way people see Cadillac Escalades in hip hop videos and think they are cool and aspire to buy them. Thats a good thing.

I personally would rather have a Cadillac DeVille or Seville, or a Lincoln Town Car. I do realize that it is a little strange for a 20 year old to want those cars, but man... I like 'em.

Who cares what people think of your car? The question is, Do you like it? I wouldn't go buy a CTS because I saw it in the Matrix, but it does expose the car to an audience that wouldn't ordinarilly consider a Cadillac. Thats a good thing, kind of like when you see an iMac on a TV show. People shoulnd't buy one because they saw it on 'buffy the vamoire slayer', but mabye it will expose it to people who wouldn't have thought of buying one.

5. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

[​IMG]

I agree with what most of Groovsonic said about exposure.. if anything I dislike that my car is in the matrix movies.. now I am going to see riced out CTS' everywhere :)

But a deville or towncar.. man now why would you want a slushbox?

-Doc

6. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nice Caddy Doc. I doubt many young punks will be able to afford it though. Only the rappers will and they're a tiny market.
    They won't be losing their uniqueness anytime soon.
    How's it drive? Are you going to trade up for a CTS-V? Man, that thing is sick. I love it!

7. guitargeek macrumors regular

I find the CTS to be one of the ugliest vehicles I've ever seen. Only the Element and the Aztec are worse.

Actually, I think all of the new Caddy's are hideous. I had a 94 DeVille that I thought looked DAMN SEXY, anything after that generation is oogly-boogly.

besides, isn't the CTS (like all the caddy's of late) FWD? That hardly makes for a sports car. RWD is the only way to go, and BMW has that.

8. guitargeek macrumors regular

Hehehehe, I was 19 when I had my DeVille. IT RULED! I smoked any ricer that came near me.

Oh, and I'd personally MUCH rather have a DeVille or Seville, since they're still putting out 300 ponies. I'm a horsepower junkie.

Don't get a Towncar. They're loaded with problems (hey, it's a Ford! :eek: )

9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Basically I wouldn't because of seeing the Matrix.

They sold out, the only cars you see the main char. get into are caddies.

:chant: Sell out, Sell out!

10. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

I couldnt agree with you more and actually it is RWD. The designs are love it or hate it.. but to each thier own.

It drives great.. if you know how to drive... It could use a few more horse but thats what the V series is for. I probably wont be trading it in just yet... I will wait until a substantial upgrade in the interior before I retire my toy.

-Doc

11. guitargeek macrumors regular

Well, I'm glad to see that it's RWD at least.

Still, though, BMW has a cult following, and I'd be surprised if Caddilac could take away some of their customers.

Caddy's are cool and all, but NOTHING drives like a BMW. :) Although, really, I would love it if GM could produce a sports sedan that could actually compete with BMW, as competition benefits everyone. I suppose the 2004 GTO could be considered a sports sedan, but it's not exactly in the same market.

The Matrix was quite possibly the worst movie I have ever seen, and I'm not too keen on the CTS' styling, so I would have to say the two go together :D

12. Groovsonic macrumors regular

Heya. I dig a big, roomy, soft riding american car. Yes, I like mushy handling and riding. I like an auto transmission. I Like a trunk big enough to hold 6 dead bodies. I don't want to feel bumps. I dont want bumps 'dampened' like on a camry or something, I want the dang bumps murdered, until they are no longer disitnguishable as bumps. I don't even want to feel train tracks! I had a 1973 Chrysler newport, which gave new meaning to the term full-size. That car made a town car or deville look practically midsized! In hindsight, I should have not gotten rid of that car. It was UGLY, but I really liked it.

While I am only 20, I realize I am a dying breed, in the age of tight handling, supportive seats, firm rides and easy to park beige cars. I realize cars like the camry and accord are good cars, very reliable and very practical, but where is the character? A navy blue deville with gold accents and chromed out wheels says 'Hey, here I am'. I like to have a big V-8 in front of me and a huge backseat behind me. What can I say???

That being said, I think the CTS is way awesome.
    And oddly enough, I would like a VW Golf or GTI. Isn't that strange?
    I guess i will just have to have like 10 cars. I am to schitzo to settle on one.

13. guitargeek macrumors regular

I've decided that's the only way to go. I want to keep my Grand Prix just for day to day driving (although it needs a dual exhaust pretty soon), a BMW 330 CI for sporting around, a Jeep Wrangler or CJ7 for driving on the beach and stuff, and either a 96 Caddilac Fleetwood or 96 Impala for long trips (either would do... some motor in both I believe). Ahh....

14. Groovsonic macrumors regular

After careful consideration, I thought up my list of 10 cars I want right now.

1.) 1976 AMC Pacer DL (Because It is so awesome looking)

2.) 2003 Hummer H2 (in black, to look really badazz)

3.) 2003 VW Golf (I am not sure why, I just like it)

4.) 1958 or '59 Rambler Ambassador HDTP (Tri-Tone paint, Just becuase)

5.) 1969 Buick Rivera (it has that huge rear window, a huge engine, huge doors, awesome)

6.) 1977 Lincoln Town car (Big and cushy)

7.) 1968 Mercury Cougar (grr...)

8.) 1957 DeSoto Firedome Convertable (So cool looking)

9.) 1951 Nash Statesman (It looks like a flying potato. Need I say more?)

10.) 1967 AMC Marlin. (Why, you ask? Why Not!)

All of these cars are pretty cheap (with the exception of the H2 and the DeSoto, but I would settle for a hardtop), so my list is pretty attainable. Of course, I would need to have a part time private mechanic and a huge garage to keep all these cars in great condition, but I can dream...

15. wlbadger macrumors newbie

I actually just got a CTS, in Black. The thing is sick. I got it for my college graduation (I know I am tottaly spoiled). My parents got it without even telling me and what am I going to do send it back?! Mine has the sports suspension and an auto trany. The thing hauls, it has one of those sport buttons from which you can get a little more aceleration. I am a bit concerned with how the actual mechanics will hold up as it is a new model but boy are the looks I get worth it. Nobody knows what it is, people comeup to it and don't believe it is a caddy. Everyone keeps telling me to pimp it out but I'm not that type of guy, I could see it with some rubberbands or some spreewells. I'm only planning on tinted windows and a dual exhaust as I am a poor kid driving a rich car. It has all the features you would expect from a caddy, you can do pretty much anything without taking your hands off the wheel. I think Caddilac is making a huge move to capture the young market with disposible income. Have you seen the 2004 XLR? 2 seater hard top convertable with a v8 northstar engine, bling, bling.

16. wlbadger macrumors newbie

Cadillac knows how to make a car go...fast. After all they imbody the American ideal of over consumption that like it or not is ingrained in our culture. And as for Cadillac stealing buyers from Mercedes or BMW just check out the new mercedes c320 sports sedan with a base price 5,000 more than the CTS. It has a 215 hp engine as compared to the CTS 220hp and a nice looking body (not the coup, its the ugliest car ever built). But step inside and you feel like you just got into a $40,000 dollar Jetta. Everything is small and you feel like they used coupons to buy the parts. As for BMW I have never been a huge fan and I know a woman that got a 7 series and can't wait to get rid of it. Seems BMW went way overboard with the gadgets and she can't figure out how to do anything but turn it on. She has been a BMW owner for 30 plus years. Besides, its time to buy American, that may just be my midwest mentality.

17. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Sorry, my car is still better...

Here's a post of it with it's beefy 0.0000 litre engine. heh. :D

[​IMG]

Actually, I thought the Caddy in Reloaded was pretty sweet. I'd get it.

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

First off, in case no one noticed, all of the cars on the freeway chase scene were GM. Saturns, Olds, Chevys -- even the cop cars were all Caprices, even though they've been dead for what, 6 years?

Not really. BMW and Mercedes have carved out a niche that will be nearly impossible for Caddy to take over. Caddy isn't aiming at them so much as they are trying to lure Japanese import (Lexus, Infiniti, Acura) buyers away.

There is no "Mercedes Maybach," Maybach is a separate marque, like Ford and Volvo and Jaguar: all owned by FoMoCo, all different cars.

The Z3 has been replaced by the Bangle-designed Z4, but it's not in the same category as the Maybach or the CTS anyway, not even close.

The Maybach is a $300,000 ultra-luxo barge for those who didn't need to know the price. DaimlerChrysler expects to sell about 1000 a year.

The Z3 is a 2 seater roadster.

If you want a two seater roadster, you look at two-place roadsters like the Z4, the Miata, the SLK and the Boxster. If you want a 300,000 luxobarge, you look at RR, Bentley and Maybach.

If you wanted an exotic-feeling sports sedan, you'd look at the CTS, Jaguar S-type, Lincoln LS, Lexus IS300, Infiniti G35, Acura TL, Mercedes C-class, BMW 3-series and Audi A4, most of which outdo the CTS overall.

The Audi and BMW, best in terms of build quality and driving quality, respectively, in particular are the cream of the crop. Personally I'd take the Audi, but I'd be mighty tempted by the 3 series. It's the pinnacle of the driving experience in a four-door package.

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Corvette with a Caddy engine and Cavalier switchgear for 80 large.

20. wlbadger macrumors newbie

You make some good points but I'm tellin' you take a drive in the CTS and the Mercedes C and you'll be saying "they want 5 more G for this? They should be giving me 5 G" The 3series is the nicest of the bunch but still looking at 3 grand more than the CTS and without the base features of a cadillac. The lincoln looks to be for 45 year olds that wear kahkis and white shirts like a uniform. (no offense to anyone that has one, you'd be the coolest 45 year old on the block) I would say the A4 is the least impressive of the bunch from a performance standpoint, its a VW engine in a pretty box. Standard it comes FWD which as guitar geek said hardly makes for a sports car. You can get all wheel drive which I normally prefer over all. The engine is 170 hp but turbo charged, still I don't see how it makes up for the 50 hp difference. My mom has had a turbocharged saab 9-3 with a 205hp 4 cylinder does the VW engine outperform it?

I'd say BMW has the advantage in the market, they've been perfecting for years. And while cadillac may not be trying to steal customers from BMW or Mercedes it seems they are both also concerned with the growing Japanese sports car market share. I feel the C class falls short and the BMW 3 series compact is barely comparable from the stand point that it fits 2 passangers and a toothbrush.

21. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'll keep my car over the CTS every day.

Attached Files:

22. Clark C macrumors member

I'm pretty sure the CTS won the rank of second best car of the year in quality. Only one of the Lexus models beat it out. The contest was based on number of complaints buy owners in the level of quality. Suprisingly the H2 Hummer was the worst car by far in quality. It may look cool but its a pile of crap. As for the CTS I would love to have one. I love how they actually tried something different, and I think it works well.

23. xlacrosse macrumors newbie

Forget the CTS ... Gotta Get one of these ;)

Here is my baby, the CTS is just to damn ugly to be seen driving around in.
    I love my G35 ;) 6 Speed and RWD , 18" Rim and Brembo Brakes... Caddy cant match anything coming from Germany or Japan for that matter

Attached Files:

24. xlacrosse macrumors newbie

one more shot of my G at the Track

A fun day at the AutoX in the G

Attached Files:

25. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Re: Forget the CTS ... Gotta Get one of these ;)

and that car's NOT ugly?? oh, right, gotcha

;)